Coffee 11-11-17

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:18 am

Brrrrrr...... it's cold outside but the coffee is hot. Pan cakes, apple slices, and real Maine made Maple syrup is ready. Dig in!

21 degrees right now. If the blue ladies aren't dancing in your coal burner they should be. It's a wonderful sight to behold, but even more wondrous is the heat! Ahhhh, so nice to stay warm. The idea that it's saving money is just a side benefit. Some people think we black rock burners are crazy. I think maybe we are.....crazy smart!

My garage has turned into a metal shop this week. We are building a new dump body for Scottie's truck. What a project! It took me over 3 years to use a tank of gas with my MIG welder.....we have used almost a whole tank in three days! Yowza! Arcs & sparks galore!

Enjoy the weekend.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:38 am

Good morning all! What a great breakfast Freddy!

11 here this morning but a beautiful 74 inside!

When your laying beads it doesn't take long to go through supplies!

Well I pulled the plug yesterday, I am getting a 2017 new holland workmaster 35 HP with the front end loader and a 66" 3 point snow blower, I have roughly 800' of driveway here at the new home and I just couldn't see putting a new plow on my half ton and beating that all winter, plus the tractor will get used for far more here on the 13 acres! Very very excited! It's suppose to come Tuesday.

Heading out early this morning and going to the range for some training.

Hope everyone is staying warm and enjoying their coal!

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:39 am

Fred, your hot breakfast is the only thing that could coax me out from under the covers...it is one very cold morning out there for early November. Oh well, I see the 40s and 50s will return for next week.

This was a very wild week for the Hall family. On Tuesday morning at about 3AM Brittany woke me to inform me that her water had broke, and we live an hour and 15 minutes away from the hospital. :o

It was perfect, there was no one at all on the road so I could drive like an idiot and after leaving at 3:15 we walked into the hospital at 4:05. I truck stone and coal all through these mountains around here and I have to tell you that was the fastest trip I ever made up through the Alleghenies. :yes:

Silas Andrew Hall was born at 12:01 PM and the stats were 18lb 6oz and 18.5 inches long...and we love the daylights out of him. Mama and baby are both doing very well, and we have started to adjust here at home. Thank you for your prayers.

Need to go haul a load of sand in and then there are coal deliveries to make today. Yesterday was a very busy day here with pickup traffic for coal...we are all just about beat. I still have fall chores and things to put away before Winter formally gets here but tomorrow we will rest.

Attachments

FB364C6E-08E6-40E1-8386-C22A40C9C4EF.jpeg

Proud Papa and my little peanut

EEB81DAA-E182-41A6-8329-91FFD6674531.jpeg

Photo says it all

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:46 am

Mornin all. Outstanding B-fast choice Freddy! :) Nice choice on the tractor HB--YEP, fun times a-comin. Damn Tyler, 18.6 lbs??? Congrats!!! Looks like the child got his Mom's looks--thank God for lil favors!!! LOL 10* here on the hill & real sunny. Enjoy the week-end people.
Last edited by freetown fred on Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:48 am

Congratulations!!!!!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:54 am

Good morning everyone. Tyler, congratulations. Hopefully he likes to sleep rather than scream, I have had one of each! By that looks of that thermostat, no one will be cold.

I am not sure if my porch thermometer is reading correctly, it says 15 degrees - but it feels colder than that and the EFM has been running for the last 30 minutes without stopping.

Let this cold snap be a wake up call for those that don't have their checklist completed yet. Old batteries need to go, antifreeze should have been checked already...but better late than never, anything parked with a tank full of summer diesel needs to get treated, and check those heat tapes.

Have a great day.

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 8:20 am

Morning all,

Coaljockey, congrats!! Freddy, thanks for the warm grub, it really hits the spot this morning. I just checked the temps and we have 8F. The 507's are keeping the outside cold at bay even though I still have the air conditioner in. The cold air coming in and around that unit is impressive. That will get removed today.

I had some time on my hands yesterday so I thought I would play with my Chubby jr. Currently in my shop the Jotul 507 is doing an excellent job as it always does. I thought what the heck let me add the Chubby jr and run both stoves in conjunction with each other. I can get a good comparison between the two. I just checked the shop and both stoves are going strong.

First thing I noticed and have never really thought about it is, the 507 radiates heat up high almost in a vertical column. The Chubby jr radiated down low towards the floor. I have both stoves running around 400F. I have only done a quick test burn with the jr a few years ago after purchasing and rebuilding it so this will be interesting to see how it burns.

I am off to the shop to get some work done this morning. It will be a cold cycle ride this afternoon followed up by an even cooler 10 mile run with the wife. I hope everyone has a safe, warm and productive weekend.

The snowman.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 8:31 am

Morning,
Congratulations to the addition to the family, CJ!
Veterans Day(used to be Armistice Day)-good time to drink coffee and give thanks for our freedom. Thank you, brother/sister veterans, for your service.
Cheers

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 9:51 am

Good morning folks and your food of choice sounds very delicious this morning Freddy :) .
Congratulations on the new family member CJ :yes: ,
Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:54 am
anything parked with a tank full of summer diesel needs to get treated
I think the place I get my fuel switched last week as the last fill-up I got on Sunday I'm seeing at least 1.5 MPG loss but its a small price to pay to keep things running!!.
I took my daughter out bow hunting for the 1st time this morning but I'm not sure she was all that into it as the temps were in the high teens and she didn't really have the right clothing for the weather. We've been trying to get out for the last 3 weeks but with all her volleyball activities it just wasn't possible, hell have always had my deer before November 5th so I'm late with this but such as life I guess.
I finally started up the Glenwood on Wednesday and now we have the good heat :D so now I can put the heat pump to bed for the winter!! Ok friends take care,stay warm, stay safe, and enjoy!

A big Thank you goes out to all of our Veterans past an present!! :clap:

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 12:03 pm

CoalJockey wrote:
Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:39 am
Silas Andrew Hall was born at 12:01 PM and the stats were 18lb 6oz and 18.5 inches long...and we love the daylights out of him. Mama and baby are both doing very well, and we have started to adjust here at home. Thank you for your prayers.
Congratulations! :yes: I'll bet he's pulling gears by the time he's 4...

Smoker858
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas

Post by Smoker858 » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi, as some may remember, I sold my Hitzer 50 - 93 about 2 1/2 years ago and retired to warm Fl. I sure do miss my wood then coal stove days. So here I am ready to refurbish a circa 1935 Mt. Penn Grande Model 10 coal stove. I don't know what I will do with it, perhaps electrify it by adding a goofy bulb. It has 6 doors with Ising Glass windows. So that's my current project.. Wishing you all well this winter season. JohnF

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:18 pm

J, ya know nobody's gonna be convinced without pix. .>) Good ya checked in!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Whew ! Almost missed it !

Just finished a Marathon Post Storm Restoration Effort after making it Home from the Coal Meet-N-Greet ! Tornadoes,Microbursts,Lions,Tigers and Bears-Oh My ! After enjoying the Fabulous Family Restaurant Food of the Berwick Area,I had to immediately convert to the Diet of Choice for Old Linemen-Gallons Of Coffee and 2-3 Packs 'O Day of Refreshing Adult Tobacco Products- Also known as Cigarettes ! Nothin' Better than getting the lights back on in the Cold with Caffeine and Nicotine ! Can't wait to try getting some Real Sleep ! On a Much Brighter Note: Congrats on the Bambino,CJ !

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Holy Moly! I've been so busy with Scottie's truck project the last few days I clean forgot that today is (was) Veterans day! That's a first for me I'm sure. Thanks to all that have served.

CJ... 18 pounds? Yowza! He's a big boy! Congrats!

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Thank you for all your kind words and well wishes, my coal burning buddies! :yes:

Somehow as I was typing half asleep this morning, I fat-fingered a number 1 before the 8! :oops: :oops:

Silas was only 8 pounds 6 ounces.... wow, an 18 pound baby.... now that just sounds BRUTAL! :what:

Return to “The Coffee House”