Coffee 9-30-2017

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:03 am

Good day! Come on in you black rock burners, share a minute & socialize with others of our ilk. We are a special clan for sure. The best way to heat, the best coffee, and the best friends. Ahhhhh, nice! French toast anyone? There's new syrup from the Common Ground fair and the bacon is extra crispy.

The door seemed easier to find this morning. Very cool. The whole forum has a new look. Thank you Richard for all the hard work.

The very warm weather has come to an end, but what a record breaking September! Until yesterday every day this month was like July. Speaking of yesterday.... when the sun came up, the thermometer said 40, but, the ice on the car roof said something else! But, that wasn't the strange thing. You know how sometimes when there is just barely a frost on the roof you can see the imprint of the rafters as they don't frost up? Take a look at this photo. You can't see the rafters, but every shingle stands out because some frosted and others didn't....... not like half the roof.... like each one individually decided to frost or not! In 23 years of living here I have never seen this happen.

Time to be ready to light the match!

Enjoy the weekend & forward we go.

Attachments

20170929_062712[1].jpg
.JPG | 272.5KB | 20170929_062712[1].jpg

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:17 am

Nobody awake yet ? Must be cold every where.
Nice new board. I miss the creek picture.
Have a good weekend.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:23 am

Good morning friends, the coffee and French toast are very good as always Freddy. You definitely have a strange roof there Freddy kinda looks like a piece meal job :D .
IMG_0353.JPG
.JPG | 755.5KB | IMG_0353.JPG
A pic of the new LED work lights on the truck 2- 30W spot off the side and 2-18W flood for the bed area, now I need to come up with some front driving lights. Not much going this weekend but helping my cousin with his screened in porch and enjoying this cool weather :) .
Freddy wrote:
Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:03 am
The door seemed easier to find this morning. Very cool. The whole forum has a new look. Thank you Richard for all the hard work.
I second that, the picture download was instantaneous, Good job Richard :yes:

Ok people have a beautiful day and enjoy you weekend.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:29 am

Hi Gentlemen

Two cups of black and out the door we go. I am about 45 minutes to an hour behind where I like to be on a Saturday but I am slightly burnt out this week so I am resting a bit. Today should see the usual load of sand being hauled and some quick truck maintenance. A few more things need to be done to the DF520 this afternoon to get ready to light up, but I see the weather is to be very nice again this coming week. This is the longest stretch we have gone without rain since the early Spring sometime. It was very nice not having to mow the grass for once. We sure racked up the hours on our zero-turns this year!

I am really enjoying the new forum, it has a nice fresh feel, but it is still familiar to the old. Nice job Richard and thanks again for all you do. Have a great weekend men.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:49 am

tsb wrote:
Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:17 am
I miss the creek picture.
That was the Susquehanna river. It's a bit deceptive because the land to the left is an island and the wider part is on the other side of that island. It's perhaps 150 to 200 yards across there. You're probably looking at about 1 mile of shoreline and perhaps 50 to 75 yards across down further.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:57 am

No frost here yet, but its chilly. Not enough to fire up the stove and see how a antique pot bellied stove from 1893 compares to a cheap China knock off of2015 vintage.

It should be a good day. I am going to fix up some fence in a new pasture I built this year and getting the sheep fattened up just fore winter. Its a 10 acre pasture of clover/timothy and oats.

Then this afternoon we are off to our church. They brought a christian comedian up from GA. An 83 year old friend lost his wife a few months ago and we hope to bring him as he is super lonely. A Godly man, some good Christian laughter should do him good, and eh deserts afterwards should get him socializing. That is our hope, but just as with salvation, a man has free choice; if he does not want to go, I cannot force him.

I like the new look Richard of the forum.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 8:09 am

Good morning. The heat wave finally ended on Thursday, and we are back to cool nights. For the first time this season I had to use a little heat in the morning. The heat pump is tough to beat for that, just push a button on the remote control and within 15 minutes the chill is gone. Next week is supposed to be nice, so I will let the EFM rest for at least another week.

Last night I got to do something for the first time...drive a Corvette. Not just any Corvette, a Z06. It is tough to describe what 505 hp feels like in a ~3300 lb car. If every car GM made was as well thought out as that one, their troubles would be over.

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 8:16 am

Morning all,

Freddy, that is strange for sure. kepaeyeonit, nice lights! One can never have enough night time lighting. Coaljockey, I understand the running behind thing as I am about two hours behind today.

The 507's are keeping everything warm and dry. I need to get some coal this week, however, I am waiting for the local tire shop to schedule my truck to have new tires put on and an inspection. NY must get their money. I have run Cooper ten ply tires for many years,however, this year I am trying a different brand. I have gone with the Continential terrain contact a/t. I hope they live up to the hype. The Coopers are great in deep snow, mud, rain, and dry conditions, however, they fall very short when a dusting to an inch of snow is on the road or the snow is wet. So, I hope the new tires do better in this area. Time will tell.

I must get going as this weekend is a working one. I have to get out to the shop. I am behind on an order which needs to be completed by the end of this weekend. As for the weather, I will gladly take another week or two of warm sun filled days without rain.

The snowman.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 8:29 am

Nice b-fast choice Freddy. Nice FORUM Scott!! Enjoy the week-end people. Getting some much needed rain this AM. 36* Hitzer's chompin at the bit. :)

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 10:13 am

Mornin' all,
The 'Mayor' did a good job re-modeling. Stepping in for a cup of that good coffee. Freddy, on that roof, that's my brother, "Jack"! Summer is gone, Fall is here. Enjoy the week-end, everyone.
Cheers

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 10:49 am

Well Go Figure,I'm Home In Hambden !

Good Morning,Gang ! What a difference a week can make ! Last Weekend's Assignment was two days at The Sand Bar across from Cedar Point-The Mouth of Sandusky Bay. Highs in the 90's,unabated Sun,Boating,Jet Skiing,Swimming and Yes,Yes there where refreshing Adult Malted Beverages to be had ! Was still able to get fabulous Fresh Sweetcorn from Our very own "Corn Lady" at her stand on SR163,on the Marblehead Peninsula ! Whoo-Whee,What A Screamer ! We drove that Weekend like We stole it !

Fast forward to Today,We're down almost 40* at the present moment from where We were,and We're also down a Friend from the Castaway.... Rest In Peace,Dan Smoszny ! He was 52 at the Max,and the 'Ye Old Cancer returned to do a Final Joust with him... So Glad He Fought that SOB all the way ! Good Living was done,and now Good Rest has been achieved ! Again,Drive it like You stole it !

I was Most Pleasantly Shocked when I fired up the 'Puter and all this CoalPail Stuff came pouring out ! I had to dust off my password,and when that failed,I had to aquire a new one-No Sweat ! The Traditionalist that I am,I was concerned about this day coming. However,much like a box of New Christmas Cards,I was blown right out of my socket when I had seen how easy on the Old Eyes this new format is. The other Screamer is realizing by Witness just how much Work The Mayor pitched into this ! 'Twas a Royal Ratpile,and for that,Richard,I Utterly Thank You !

Beligerently Stepping Away From The Keyboard,I Leave You All With A Humble Gratitude For The Sheer Pleasure Of Your Company,And A Usual Yet Ever Growing Disdain Against Any Simple-Minded Pukes You May Encounter 'Till We Meet At Freddy's Again !

Adios,Amoeba's !

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 11:48 am

Holy crap, I get too busy to maintain my usual check ins and then try this morning and find this new fangled set up.

At least the breakfast was still here even though it looks like Freddy has a new remodeled kitchen.

Hugh Heffner dies but at least Hampden Bob is still here with his usual eloquent speeches...... :lol:

Not much going on here. Working like a madman at the shop. Never been so busy. And for you car guys, hopefully next week I will be able to post some pics of the latest paintjob on a '75 Vette. Going to be a modified version of light toreador red metallic.

I should have taken some pics before I primed it. But will have plenty once the paint is on.
Booth 1.jpg
.JPG | 55.1KB | Booth 1.jpg
Booth 4.jpg
.JPG | 99.1KB | Booth 4.jpg

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Rick 386 wrote:
Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 11:48 am
Hugh Heffner dies but at least Hampden Bob is still here with his usual eloquent speeches...... :lol:
Holy Cats ! 'Tis Great To See 'Ya,Rick ! As the CoalBoard's Official Bondo & Spray Man,You always bring 'Der Smilies ! Now if We could just Vaporize Smitty to join Us in this same setting,Well....We'd have the Knucklebuster contingent in 'Da House,too !

In Closing,just remember: "I Know Nothing,But I Still Can Type !"

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Had a customer drop off an Agri-Fab grass/leaf vac cart way back in late Feb..The lady pulled this cart on the road 3 miles with a unit that only has greasable bushings in the wheels.. she got it here without locking the wheels & shearing the axles. She dropped it in the middle of the drive at my shop & left... without speaking to me. The owner called later to tell me the following info.This unit had been at another shop (not a dedicated lawn/garden equipment repair shop) & they gave up trying to fix whatever was wrong with it. It came with a small box with some pieces in it & the pull starter was totally missing.The owner had no clue what was wrong with it,or even why it went to the shop in the first place.I told her about the missing pieces,she said she would call me back... she didn't call. I decided to just get a new pull starter & also decided that today would be THE day to work on this unit.I installed the new pull starter,determined the engine had spark & decided to work on the entire fuel system b4 even attempting to try starting it.I removed & emptied the gas tank,washed it out with LOTS of water & then dried it with LOTS of compressed air,tore the carburetor apart,cleaned it,new bowl gasket,assembled it & reinstalled everything on the engine.New fuel shut-off valve,new air filter kit,good quality gas in the tank... It started & runs perfectly.. i guess i fixed whatever may have been wrong with it. I did find lots of dirt & water in the old gas which just may have had something to do with what was wrong with it..(smile)
It is always a good feeling to get a long waiting project fixed & waiting for the customer to pick it up.
Nothing to show like Rick showed,not even a fancy shingle job to brag about,i didn't put any fancy lites on my truck.. i did fill some rust holes with 2 cans of expanding foam on my truck,didn't test drive any hot Corvette..

BUT,i did get 22.65 tons of rice coal from Gale Mining on tues.. this should last for 1 yr & make hot water for 2 houses & heat both houses & my shop.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Sooooo, guess what time of the year it is???????? You got it!! 36* this AM & supposedly much colder tonight. With a hard frost forcast. YEP, there's a bunch of flame under that pile--my camera sux!!! :lol: Once I get her topped off with hopper full, we'll be good till next spring. Tend & empty ash twice daily. Probably just tend once daily till the real cold gets here. That expanding foam is great stuff (pun) WH I'm thinkin a good part of my 89 GMC 1 ton plow truck is testament!! :D

Attachments

001.JPG
.JPG | 57.8KB | 001.JPG

Return to “The Coffee House”