Coffee 9-23-17

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 1:23 pm

coalnewbie wrote:Roll on the drums... Traveller Premium All Fleet 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil is on sale for $7.50 and I just bought 10 galls ... thx.
Good deal. That will also work well in some of your old gassers.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Rob R. wrote:Most of the cheap oil extractors I have seen are for doing a few quarts out of a small engine or a boat. 7-8 gallons out of a Cat is a different story. I have never seen an oil plug that could not be removed, but I guess there is always a first.

If money is no object, just call the Cat man. :D $500 later you will be all set.
The link that jpete shared is for a 6.25 gallon unit..
Even my Mightyvac 6 qt unit could be emptied several times..
It is doubtful that a man older than 50 will grab a 15 gal drum ,lift it over his head & tip it to refill the Cat..
He will likely use something like 1 gal or smaller container to refill x ??? to = 7-8 gallons.
Pumping would also be more effective than changing the filter several times just to get a tiny bit of fresh oil into the engine..
1- 6 qt pumping would do more than that..
There you have my worthless .00001 cents worth..

BUT...
The drain plug has successfully been removed,oil draining out the bottom is best..
That method requires 2 trips under the beast..

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 3:42 pm

I normally refill them with 5 gallon pails, if buying the oil in pails. If we are using drums I use a 2.5 gallon wide mouth jug. It goes much better if you have a helper and only have to climb the tracks once.

Lucky for Simon this is only a 5 gallon job. EVERYTHING on a dozer is heavy, and sitting/laying on the tracks to reach down in the engine bay gets old fast.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 7:21 pm

HEY??????????????? Is this Sat. AM Freddy's Coffee or let's change the oil?????????????????????????? :lol:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Yes, it's coffee morning, let's talk about getting in 3rd cutting and mowing around the house .... hhahahahahah, I slay myself. These are details of my pathetic life. :) I also picked up a quarter today.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 7:30 pm

So many Dip Sticks :lol:

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 10:26 pm

And so little oil !

Nice to finally get here. Now what to say? How 'bout I make it very uncharacteristically short and just say : "Have a Nice week,Gang ! "

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Sep. 25, 2017 5:24 am

Hey Freddy welcome to my part of Maine!

My wife is on the Soil and Water Conservation District board so she usually goes to the fair for them, but she went to New Hampshire this weekend and did not get there. Myself I got a lot of history at that fair, mostly because my Great Uncle owned the land and we used to farm it up until 1998 when he sold the land to MOFGA. Back in 1990 we did not have the farm equipment we have now and come planting season we had to run 24/7 to get the corn in. It was about 1 AM one night over by the amphitheater when I fell asleep and drove into the woods. We did the earthwork for the fair as well and was a really good job.

As for bulldozers, I changed the oil in my bulldozer and the silly thing added 20 psi to the oil pressure. It was always a tight running engine, but it went from 60 pounds to 80 pounds.

The Dr said I had to take it easy this weekend so that was what I did. Some people watch football, some ride ATV's, and others might take naps, but for me working on heavy equipment is relaxing and beats watching TV. So I installed a winch on the back of my bulldozer, installed an external transmission cooler, and installed two new gauges in the dash to monitor transmission pump pressure and temperature.

Yep you read that right, I pimped my bulldozer ride! Does that make me a Redneck?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Sep. 25, 2017 12:46 pm

NoSmoke wrote: I installed a winch on the back of my bulldozer, installed an external transmission cooler, and installed two new gauges in the dash to monitor transmission pump pressure and temperature.
Yep you read that right, I pimped my bulldozer ride! Does that make me a Redneck?
If you have to ask.... you know the answer! ;)

Enjoy this beautiful weather.....it ain't gonna last too much longer.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Sep. 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes you are a redneck, welcome to the club. I still miss my WWII era Cat D8 cable blade with the mother of all winches on the back. I wish I had your skills. :clap:

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Sep. 26, 2017 5:45 am

NoSmoke wrote:As for bulldozers, I changed the oil in my bulldozer and the silly thing added 20 psi to the oil pressure. It was always a tight running engine, but it went from 60 pounds to 80 pounds.
Unless you decided to use heavier oil this time around, that is pretty strange. Hopefully it is not due to fuel dilution in the old oil.
coalnewbie wrote:I still miss my WWII era Cat D8 cable blade with the mother of all winches on the back.
They are monsters.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 26, 2017 2:19 pm

An increase in oil psi after an oil change is usually an indication of a fuel dilution problem of the oil, such as fuel leaks into the oil, or fuel getting past worn piston rings. The fuel thins out the oil, which lowers viscosity and likewise the oil pressure readings.

Paul

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Sep. 26, 2017 3:59 pm

I think it was just due to old oil. It had been 5 years since it was last changed according to the previous owner. :-) I will keep an eye on fuel dilution however.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Sep. 26, 2017 5:58 pm

NoSmoke, just put around 50 or 75 hours on the dozer and pull a oil sample( if your not using it on a daily bases this could be a problem) this will tell you if you have fuel dilution or not, I do my trucks and its around $28.00 per sample.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Sep. 27, 2017 6:25 am

I can do that.

The engine has actually been something I have never been concerned about, it runs strong and smooth, fires up immediately even in the dead of winter without starting fluid and sounds good. It has never consumed oil, but does not make it...meaning something is dumping into the oil. It is a bulldozer so it has other issues, but the engine has always been a strong component.

I did just pull the engine to check my tranny pump, so maybe when I put the oil pressure gauge back on I over-tightened the compression fitting and pinched the plastic tubing going to the oil pressure gauge? That is doubtful, and just a guess, but possible.

I got new tracks, track rollers, idlers, grouser pads, etc on this dozer so that is good, I seem to have gotten the reverser problem fixed, but now have to work on getting my dozer blade fixed. The pins and bushings are worn so I have to set up a line boring unit and get things tightened up. While I am there I am going to swap out my 6 way blade valves for one with an extra spool for auxiliary hydraulics.

I would actually rather work on equipment that operate it, so thankfully I got a bulldozer because the work load never ends.

Return to “The Coffee House”