How does your dog handle storms?

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Mine freaks out. Not so much during the storm , but leading up to the storm. I am thinking it has to do with the barometric pressure . A lightning storm is the worst! He tries to dig a hole trough the floor. I would bet the dogs and animals that went through Irma must have been terrified .just wondering if anyone has any tips that they use to help their animals get through the storm.
A friend of mine recommended a product called Rescue Remedy, it's all natural and made from flowers. You put four drops in tier water. I tried it with my dog Peteyboy and it really made a difference , it has a calming effect. Safe for cats also. Storms don't seem to bother my cats much. Anybody else got any tips?

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 12:35 pm

The thunder shirts have had quite a difference in helping dogs stay calmer during thunderstorms.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Drug your dog? Nize.

Available in wifey sized tablets?

<my cat just hides>

Logs

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Drug your dog? Nize.

It's not a drug DM, it's made from flowers, natural . I see not difference in the dog other than he is not as scared. And yes people use it also. Try some on the wifey.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Logs wrote:Drug your dog? Nize.

It's not a drug DM, it's made from flowers, natural . I see not difference in the dog other than he is not as scared. And yes people use it also. Try some on the wifey.

drug
drəɡ/
noun
noun: drug; plural noun: drugs

a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

<everything is "natural" ... I have not seen anything that is "supernatural" yet...but I have yet to try those drugs you have either...I'll take a 55 gal barrel please>

Logs

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 1:18 pm

I never tried the thunder vest, cause the thunder doesn't really bother him . It is the weather leading up to the storm. That's why I thought it must be something to do with the pressure.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 3:56 pm

Many/most flowers and or plants do contain a herb or drug in them. Being natural really doesnt mean its safe. Marijuana is natural, so is stinging nettles and poisonous mushrooms. ... i always hate it when I hear a weed smoker say its safe cuz its natural or organic and I bring up the same things and have had them argue with me about it :lol:

I looked up the ingredients and am not familiar with them, except alcohol in some of them. That does not mean its bad and im glad it helps your dogs, so please dont think Im running the product down.

Anyway, here is a description and you can click on the ingredients to see them. I see the regular type has alcohol in it. https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Bach-Rescue-Remedy-Flower-Essences/238000.aspx

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 4:09 pm

warminmn wrote: Anyway, here is a description and you can click on the ingredients to see them. I see the regular type has alcohol in it. https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Bach-Rescue-Remedy-Flower-Essences/238000.aspx
Main ingred. active:
What is helianthemum Nummularium used for?
Rock rose is an evergreen shrub. The flower is used to make medicine. It is commonly used in Bach flower remedies. People take rock rose to treat panic, stress, extreme fright or fear, and anxiety; and for promoting calmness and relaxation.

Not saying its harmful ... and its only a dog .... chattle

Logs

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 4:27 pm

These are the 5 Bach Flower Remedies in Rescue Remedy.

Rescue Remedy Animals
5x (HPUS) dilution

Star of Bethlehem – Orithogalum umbellatum
Helps animals that have experienced abuse, trauma and shock, whether experienced recently or in the past. Helps the animal let go of the trauma and enjoy life.
Rock Rose – Helianthemum
For situations in which the animal experiences panic or terror such as an accident, going to the vet, thunderstorm or fireworks.
Cherry Plum – Prunus cerasifera
Helps animals who seem to have lost control of their actions such as constant barking, scratching or licking.
Impatiens – Impatiens gladulifera
Helps those animals who are impatient and can’t wait for for their meal or going for a walk.
Clematis – Clematis vitalba
For animals who seems to be sleeping too much and not really paying attention to what’s going on around them.
Inactive Ingredients: 80% Vegetable Glycerin, 20% water
Direction: Add 2-4 drops of Rescue Remedy Pets in your animal’s drinking water and you’ll see how quickly they return to normal.
You can also add a drop to a treat, on food or rub it on the paws or ears.
Bach Flower Remedies

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 4:51 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
warminmn wrote: Anyway, here is a description and you can click on the ingredients to see them. I see the regular type has alcohol in it. https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Bach-Rescue-Remedy-Flower-Essences/238000.aspx
Main ingred. active:
What is helianthemum Nummularium used for?
Rock rose is an evergreen shrub. The flower is used to make medicine. It is commonly used in Bach flower remedies. People take rock rose to treat panic, stress, extreme fright or fear, and anxiety; and for promoting calmness and relaxation.

Not saying its harmful ... and its only a dog .... chattle
I thought that's what they invented Whiskey for ?

My cat doesn't flinch, or even acknowledge thunder & lightning. If she's napping, she doesn't even lift her head to see what's happening. I guess that's as a result of being a wild stray for the first couple of years of her life.

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Drugs, both my dogs are extremely fearful of lightning/ Fourth of July. They can get to point they are panting and can't find a hole deep enough...

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Logs

I think I may try the Rescue Remedy at some point in time. My little Jack Russell flips out around the 4th of July when the fireworks go off in the area. The poor little thing nearly goes into convulsions and she just sits with her ears rolled back and she shakes. It's the most pitimus thing you have ever seen for a dog that is not terrified of anything else at all.

Storms don't have much of an effect on her but I dread the 4th coming just because of how she flips out.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Logs wrote: Direction: Add 2-4 drops of Rescue Remedy Pets in your animal’s drinking water and you’ll see how quickly they return to normal.
You can also add a drop to a treat, on food or rub it on the paws or ears.
With my dogs you'd never get them to eat or drink anything, you could throw a steak on the ground and they would ignore it.

Logs

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 7:34 pm

My dog smells the water and knows something is in there, but apparently he likes the way he feels. Drinks the water no problem. I only put it in if it supposed to storm. Last week we had a storm approaching and he was starting to get weird. I put a few drops on my hands and rubbed it on his ears and it helped him relax. I say it's worth a try

Return to “The Coffee House”