Coffee 9-9-2017

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 6:19 am

The door is always open and all are welcome, except for Irma. Come on in & join us for a moment in time. The coffee is hot & the friends are cool. The fry pan is heating up & aiming to make breakfast sandwiches. Sausage or bacon?

Oh, clumsy me! I was using my little folding knife yesterday to clean silicone out of a groove. I came around a corner & just as my eyes were seeing things line up, and just as my brain was saying "readjust or you might.... WHAM! The knife jumped the groove & I stuffed it into my fleshy parts a few inches above my knee. I didn't make it three steps toward the house before my sock was turning red. I debated going to walk in care....two stitches maybe three...but, as I cleaned it, it stopped bleeding. So instead of getting stitches I used Steri strips and bio occlusive cover. I go back to work and soon realize that my new sock was getting red-wet. LOL Should I post a photo?

I was hoping for a nice long Indian summer, but it seems that's not going to happen. It's rainy & chilly at night. Twice now I've run a short blast of heat pump heat in the morning. Oh, well.....the black rocks are ready for when the real chill sets in. I trust you are all set? If not, there's no time like the present to get started.

Ffred... nice flag!

Hug your loved ones & forward we go.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 6:36 am

Mornin all, bacon here Freddy. Thanx!!! Like you, the old HITZER stands ready. Not much goin on. Got 2 ton of BLASCHAK nut ready & waitin--will have 3 more (bulk)delivered come early Nov. & 2 more (bagged) come Jan. Life is good. Enjoy the week-end people. Hopin those Fl. people fare OK. I got family in Vero Beach, Sebastian & Melbourne--all east coast. Glad the leg wasn't any more serious Freddy.
Last edited by freetown fred on Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 6:51 am

I am NOT ready.

They say in Maine you had better have a big pile of firewood (or coal) or a big checkbook to make it through winter, and being retired now I certainly do not have the latter. Sadly I cut my share of wood, but it seems to go to the paper mills instead of in the firewood pile. Still I managed to get a new stove ready to go last weekend, can always buy coal for it, and have dry wood that I simply need to go gather up. So in short, I got the wood I just need to go get it at some point.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 8:03 am

50 degrees and damp here, it was a good morning to fire up the oven and cook a bunch of bacon. Warms the house up and the smell of the bacon gets everyone out of bed and ready to roll. Pretty soon it will be time for apple pies.

I thought about going to get some coal tomorrow and firing the EFM up, but I forgot we have 5 soccer games, haircuts, and family pictures this weekend.... :baby:

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 9:08 am

Morning all,

Freddy, be careful! RobR, sounds like your busy. Don't forget to breathe. It has been another busy week for the wife and I. We have had a lot of showers and thunderstorms here this week. It has made for an interesting time trying to get in some cycling. So, as much as I hate my indoor trainer for my bike, I set it up this week and have been riding inside. I am hoping the rain holds off this weekend so I can replace the exhaust on the truck. I have only had the exhaust for six months. Other than that I plan to keep a low profile this weekend. Next weekend I have to travel to my parents to unload more coal they have on order.

Anyone have family in FL? I have a cousin who has decided to stay and hunker down for the storm. If I lived in FL I would already gone to another state that has higher ground and a well built house or shelter. I would rather deal with many feet of snow than flood waters and 155 mph wind.

The 507's are still running strong. I need to replace the ash door gasket on the one 507 that is currently running. I have a parts stove I will borrow the ash door from so I can replace the gasket. It is sad as the gasket I need to replace is factory original.

The leaves on the trees are really starting to turn this past week. This really signals the end of summer as much as it was and the oncoming winter. Bring it on!

I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend.

The snowman.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 9:41 am

Morning all. French toast was on the menu this morning along with hot coffee and the local paper. Nice start to the day. As some might know I went to Tractor Supply back in April to get a lawnmower part and left with 8 chicks and forgot the part. Anyway the bunch of freeloaders finally started laying some eggs and they are paying me back for all those rude comments I made about the grill and the soup pots. I named them Omlet, Fingers, Nuggets, Marsalla, Henny Penny, Chicken Little, Soup, Caccitorie, and Dinner. I reminded them daily what their names were and if they didn't start giving me some eggs their names would be prophetic.

I'm steady with 7-8 eggs a day. Now I got to wait until chick days are over again at TS before I go back to buy some egg cartons.

If I don't I'll be back with more chicks. I appear to suffer from a syndrome called "chicken math." It's a malady similar to "coal stove math."

No matter what you go to get the number of chickens or stoves you have always increases :lol:

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 11:15 am

Freddy wrote: I was hoping for a nice long Indian summer, but it seems that's not going to happen. It's rainy & chilly at night. Twice now I've run a short blast of heat pump heat in the morning. Oh, well.....the black rocks are ready for when the real chill sets in. I trust you are all set? If not, there's no time like the present to get started. Hug your loved ones & forward we go.
I do believe Freddy's going to be experiencing an "Eskimo Summer" as a Mainah ! Who knows?

I sincerely Hope that this finds All of You Very Well !

As Always,Take Care,Gang !

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Good afternoon coal burners,
Just finished putting 60 40 lb. bags of Blaschak stove coal in the basement for the Herald. Now it's time for a coffee. I pick up the second pallet on Monday, and we're set for 'Old man Winter'. Enjoy the nice weather this weekend.
Cheers

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Awesome weather here....waiting for the remnants of Irma to come by....
Ripped out a whole floor on a crawlspace today, I am never going to get used to the construction mindset here. Simply amazing. I grew up in a house with birch bark around the windows for flashing.....the "studs" were fir trees with flattened sides, sometimes..... half the house was built on the ground, no crawl space.....Rocks for support...it is still standing and sound after over 200 years. These houses down here are built so much worse then that, :o and they are rotting out in 10 to 15 years. Substandard materials, substandard techniques, and no thought whatsoever about moisture. I know we always felt caulking was for cosmetics, not leak prevention. Down here it is applied to 3/4 inch gaps liberally. NO flashing, no paper, masonite style siding turning to mush daily. Windows are caulked in, no counter flashing with anything. Just amazing. Todays floor was a 16 ft. span with 2x8's....idiocy.

Kevin

AND she bought a cast iron tub.... :o that I have to install on this rebuilt floor.....lol. NOT to mention the tile walls around it and the tile floors. Just try to explain weight to a retired female school teacher.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 10, 2017 8:17 am

KLook wrote:AND she bought a cast iron tub....
I do not know why anyone would want one. Aside from the weight on the structure, they are frigid in the winter unless you have heat under them.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Sep. 11, 2017 10:57 am

Took out my cast iron tub with a sledge hammer. Thank god it is gone.

Return to “The Coffee House”