Houston yarns

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Aug. 27, 2017 8:57 am

WOW, that Houston storm is quite something.

I remember many years ago going with my wife to Scituate, MA and seeing Mary Nutalls horse barn. Impressive. That was late November, 22 years ago. We stayed at a hotel on the coast near Hull. The wind was howling and everything was covered with thick ice. People who owned the houses on the cliffs could not get into their homes as they were covered with inches of ice. The next day Mary stated - that is IT! I am off to Houston. We kept in touch as our trainer regularly gives dressage clinics there and we have trained many of her best horses.

Her barn is in Victoria, near Houston and as I hear it she has been totally clobbered. The details do not matter here but her farm is non existent right now and she thinks the area will return to bayou. She is done. The horses got out but ALL the buildings are not there anymore and area is a HUGE, snake infested lake.

Why relay this? Her horses are headed for our farm ... yes, she is done, done with S. Texas for ever. She was lucky to escape with her life. When she arrives I will hear more.

"I want to get as far North as I can and Maine here I come, Scituate stinks right now". What did I think?

Well. Maine allowed left wing Massholes to ruin the place and a Houston girl will sure need to adjust. However, it is still beautiful.

The eight months at minus 40 and howling blizzards soon passes and gives way to a three day summer (as long as it is not raining). Boating is fun and you can rip off the 5 layers of clothing preventing hypothermia and dive into the 45* ocean. Perhaps a little further South would be good for her operation.

Mary opined that after what she has just suffered, no blizzard would be anything she would worry about ... we shall see.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Sun. Aug. 27, 2017 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Aug. 27, 2017 9:08 am

PLUS, no poisonous snakes if my memory serves me. But, maybe they'll be headed for the northern most coast. :o

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 27, 2017 9:27 am

I have only been to Houston once - that was enough. I have never experienced such hot and humid weather in my life. It is nothing to get a few inches of rain in the morning, and have the sun flash it off by lunchtime. By 2 pm it is over 100 and there are no puddles left...just 90% humidity.

Rural NY seems like a good compromise to Maine.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. Aug. 27, 2017 12:14 pm

My S-in-L is finally making her escape from Houston this evening, had to go to Ok. in a caravan that got held up twice for ID checks instead of trying to keep traffic flowing. She said if her Aunt would give her house to her in the will she wouldn't even go back but instead just have it auctioned off, never want's to see that town again & it was way out of the city. :lol:

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Aug. 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Good God,What A Time And Event To Behold..........!

I think that this whole mess upholds Freddy's Vaunted Action Theorem that You should "Hug Your Loved Ones" !!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Rob R. wrote:I have only been to Houston once - that was enough. I have never experienced such hot and humid weather in my life. It is nothing to get a few inches of rain in the morning, and have the sun flash it off by lunchtime. By 2 pm it is over 100 and there are no puddles left...just 90% humidity.

Rural NY seems like a good compromise to Maine.
I visited a few times and yeah, it gets hot.

I was there and discussed their red-light cameras. The residents voted these gone...and they came right back.

My state is devoid of these devices. I go up every so often and provide testimony against the devices. Not that they care. Last time the NAACP got the bill killed ~ as the bill had authorized the cameras for towns >30,000 or 60,000 in population and the NAACP said it would affect their members most. Well the dems swooned and gave the bill up.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 5:34 am

and a little piece of info to end with.

Mary, and nobody else to her knowledge, has any flood insurance. Insurance companies have always assumed Gulf cities will get plastered once in a while and those losses will bring down the whole company real quick. History in Florida has taught them that one. So as we see, the markets are not really reacting as they always have assumed the big one was coming someday and companies have made plans. Recovery will probably be swift but the human cost will be staggering. I suspect Mary will be ruined by this but who knows. I wish her well.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 8:40 am

There are going to be a lot of people moving instead of rebuilding. I cant even imagine what its like there. Prayers to all.

I was in a flash flood once but the water went down a couple days later. It will be weeks before it drops there.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 8:46 am

I was on Treasure Island in the Delaware River with the Boy Scouts when Hurricane Hazel came through in the 50's. We had to be air lifted off. Helicopters from the Coast guard. That was scary but I can't even imagine what's going on in Texas. Indeed, prayers out to all.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 8:47 am

It's all clay so try months or years or never.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 9:03 am

sad mess and it wiil not be the same again !!!! at all . prayers out to those folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!! dam .

Return to “The Coffee House”