Don't blind yourself....eclipse glasses on Aug. 21

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Aug. 11, 2017 9:02 pm

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Aug. 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Can't you just look through your phone's camera? Would it wash out?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Aug. 11, 2017 9:46 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Can't you just look through your phone's camera? Would it wash out?

Permanently

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Aug. 12, 2017 12:29 am

Back when I was a wee lad and wanted to view the rare eclipse, I was taught that one only needed a large enough box (like size reams of copy paper come in nowadays) and a full sheet of white paper. You would tape the sheet of paper inside the box covering one narrow end and then you would of needed to poke a pin or small nail hole centered in/on the opposite narrow end of the box to allow in the sunlight.

Then while standing with your back to the sun and with box being on/over your head you would slowly maneuver the rear/backside of the box properly up towards the sun behind you. This would allow you to safely view the sun's image coming through the pin hole to be displayed safely onto the white paper taped inside of the box in front of you. A lot easier on the neck and no SPF 50 is required either.

But then again I did eat a lot of paint chips in them years before this, so I may not have the best recall of these things. :baby:

If you do try this please remember to recycle the box and paper when done. ;)

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sat. Aug. 12, 2017 12:39 am

I used a welding lens last time.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Aug. 12, 2017 12:43 am

cArNaGe wrote:I used a welding lens last time.
I believe that if you go this route it must be a #14 to be considered safe. Most are lower rated than this. Certified solar eclipse lenses are darker than #14 welders glass. Probably more like #15, which to my knowledge doesn't even exist in the welding world.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 1:08 pm

top top

Post by top top » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 1:28 pm

lsayre wrote:
I believe that if you go this route it must be a #14 to be considered safe. Most are lower rated than this. Certified solar eclipse lenses are darker than #14 welders glass. Probably more like #15, which to my knowledge doesn't even exist in the welding world.
Yes, from what I read, welding lens is not dark enough. Maybe stack several together without the clear lens? They said if you are in bright light and can see anything at all the lens is not sufficient protection to look at the sun. I think I would just rig a camera with a lens and view it on a monitor. Or just wait a day and look at the pics produced by the pros.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 1:50 pm

So did I. I use them to view Venus transit the sun in 2012. Not a Dr. and not recommending anything the experts say but if the welding lens is a 14, wouldn't that mean you can't stare at the sun continuously in areas when the eclipse isn't at totality. Kind of like sunblock for your eyes maybe? How long does a welder stare at the arc?
SPF 30 means you skin won't burn until you've been in the sun 30 times longer that it takes to get sunburn without any SPF protection?

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 2:07 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:So did I. I use them to view Venus transit the sun in 2012. Not a Dr. and not recommending anything the experts say but if the welding lens is a 14, wouldn't that mean you can't stare at the sun continuously in areas when the eclipse isn't at totality. Kind of like sunblock for your eyes maybe? How long does a welder stare at the arc?
SPF 30 means you skin won't burn until you've been in the sun 30 times longer that it takes to get sunburn without any SPF protection?
I recall seeing a recommendation to limit viewing of the non-totality sun to a maximum of 3 minutes when using #14.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 2:23 pm

That's why God gave us 2 eyes, just close one and your good to go!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Or just wait a day and look at the pics produced by the pros

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

https://www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 5:22 pm

The absolutely worst possible scenario is to rapidly transition from having your eyes fully protected by solar glasses to suddenly not protected at all, such as would happen if the wind blows your eclipse glasses off of your head, or your neighbor accidentally bumps them off of you (since nothing can be seen except the sun while they are on). In this case the eye is fully dilated, and the sun will be 16 times brighter than for the more common case of pupils being daylight constricted.

~2mm dia. sun constricted pupil
~8mm dia. fully dilated (dark adapted) pupil

(8/2)^2 = 16 times brighter

This also would occur when totality abruptly ends, by which time the eye is becoming fully dilated and dark adapted.

top top

Post by top top » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I read an article that plainly stated DO NOT use welding glass to protect your eyes from the sun. However this from Lincoln Electric says welding shields filter 100% of the UV and IR regardless of shading. The number 5 or 10 or 14 or whatever is for comfort and to help you see what you're doing, not eye protection. They claim the auto darkening glass is protecting your eyes from UV and IR even when not activated.

Anyway I have no idea what may be safe, just thought this was interesting. Does the sun emit something other than IR & UV that is harmful? Inquiring minds want to know.

They also recommend you practice using the glasses, especially with kids. Turn away from the sun, put on the glasses, view the eclipse, look away from the sun, THEN remove the glasses.

The glasses I see being offered look pretty flimsy, would be easily knocked out of position. A welding shield would be more likely to stay in place. Maybe cut up the cheap glasses and put the lens in your welding shield or goggles along with the welding glass? Assuming you already have access to a shield of course.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-solutions/Pages/helmets-eye-protection-detail.aspx

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 7:02 pm

I'll just watch it on TV, it won't be a full eclipse in New England anyway.

Return to “The Coffee House”