Don't blind yourself....eclipse glasses on Aug. 21

top top

Post by top top » Thu. Aug. 24, 2017 3:57 pm

We have had the six year old for a couple months, his stepfather picked him up on Saturday before the eclipse. They live just a short distance from where it would be a total eclipse. On Monday I called his mother, she never answers, and left a message to remind her not to let him look at the eclipse without eye protection, and make sure he turns his back to the sun before removing the glasses. So yesterday she calls, said she let him watch from inside the car because it has tinted windows. $%^&^%$ I swear, some people are a total waste of air. I did get to talk to him for a bit and he didn't complain to me about his eyes. But I think they threaten him with grounding if he says anything out of line, so I don't know for sure. I did stress the importance of not looking at the sun the day before he left, so maybe he just closed his eyes instead of watching.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Aug. 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Well, normally car windows do at least filter out infrared and UV rays, which is why auto tinting prescription glasses don't dim in the car. If that's any consolation for you. I know some people are just really dumb to potential dangers.

top top

Post by top top » Thu. Aug. 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Lightning wrote:Well, normally car windows do at least filter out infrared and UV rays, which is why auto tinting prescription glasses don't dim in the car. If that's any consolation for you. I know some people are just really dumb to potential dangers.
Mine darken just fine. Not sure what brand lens I have now, could be Transitions, but my old Photogray Extra also darkened just fine. Set either pair on the dash in bright sunlight and they get nearly black. They don't darken as much while wearing them, probably because they are not in direct sunlight. Forgot to add, I have never had a tinted windshield. I know some of those do block out certain frequencies.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/21/54512963 ... he-eclipse

How would somebody know if they've done any damage?

It takes at least 12 hours before we can tell if anything has happened.

It might not be until [the next] morning when they wake up and realize that they can't see that well.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Aug. 26, 2017 1:17 am

Huh, that's interesting.. Mine don't darken at all when inside a vehicle with the windows up. My eye doctor said it was because the photo grey is activated by UV rays and most vehicles already block UV rays. Here's what I found on the web

http://blog.myeyewear2go.com/why-dont-transition-lenses-work-well-in-the-car/
They simply can’t react to a light source that is not present, and in an automobile, most of that UV light has already been taken out of the equation. You may notice some darkening of your lenses while in your car; this is because in typical automotive applications, only the windshield blocks a high percentage of UV light. Side and rear glass is rarely laminated, so while it has some UV-blocking properties, it also lets a good deal of ultraviolet light spill through. And, of course, open windows allow in some ambient UV light, sometimes enough for your Transitions to react.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Aug. 26, 2017 1:36 am

Further reading says that the windshield filters most the UV rays, while the side and back filter some. At any rate, I hope your 6 year old is okay :D

top top

Post by top top » Sat. Aug. 26, 2017 7:08 am

Thanks for that. You got me curious because I know my glasses darkened inside a vehicle, since my only reason for having them was for driving and boating. I don't even wear glasses any other time, and I can pass the eye exam for my license without them. The prescription lens helps me read highway signs, especially at night or in rain or fog, and the Photogrey helped on bright days, especially when snow was on the ground. Previously I carried two pair, one clear, one tinted, but bought the Photogrey Extra in the '80's. And I plainly remember needing to remove them when backing a rig into a building when it was sunny. The glasses would be too dark to see inside. Anyway I found an article dated 2006 that indicated UV blocking for auto glass was a recent concern. Also I usually had a window open when driving, and always open both front windows when backing so I could hear if someone yelled at me to stop. Since I got out of trucking in the 90's and my "new" pickup truck is a '99, maybe I'm just living in the past. lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/23/health/23brod.html?pagewanted=all&mcubz=0

Since most Americans spend, on average, 80 percent of the day indoors or commuting in private cars, the protection — or lack of it — afforded by windows has become a serious medical matter. And, in combination with energy-saving issues, it has stimulated the development of glass for cars, commercial buildings and homes that is much more protective.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Aug. 26, 2017 9:36 am

I've actually taken my old glasses in to have them permanently tinted to use in the winter time. The view from the bread truck on bright sunny winter days when the ground is snow white and the sun is at a lower angle is a double blinder hahaha, cuz my dam glasses won't automatically tint like they should.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Aug. 26, 2017 6:05 pm

The good news is that in a few days we who watched the eclipse will know if we have damaged our eyes. Apparently the damage does not manifest itself until about a week has passed post exposure.

Return to “The Coffee House”