Anybody Near Center Philly?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 3:27 pm

My Mother had an operation at Pennsylvania Hospital on some herniated disks. I'm the designated family member to stay, I'm at the Holiday Inn Express on Walnut St. Between 13th and Broad. If anyone is in the area and wants to do lunch or dinner tommorrow let me know.

I've been going back and forth to the hospital, it's only about a 8 block walk. Anytime would good but you'd have to come here, where to eat would be up to you. It's actually pretty nice. Between Penn and Jefferson a lot of hospital buildings, small very expensive shops, office buildings and some houses that I'm sure are priced in the millions. Mostly college aged students walking around....

--------

I have to tell this joke the Doctor said. He walks into the room and my Mother gets instantly sick, puking everywhere. The Doc says..... "I have that effect on women." :lol:

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Richard,

I'd recommend grabbing a copy of the Philadelphia Magazine. My mouth waters at each issue - so many choices!

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Hope your mother recovers swiftly Richard, it's pretty amazing how far medicine has come, best of luck to the both of you. :up:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 12:13 pm

<sigh> She had some excessive bleeding in her neck yesterday and it caused some swelling, they had to take her back to the OR to stop the bleeding. This was unrelated to the original issue. It was a short procedure and she looks much better this morning. Because of the swelling they have her on a ventilator at least until tonight. Looks like I'll be here at least to Sunday and possibly Monday or Tuesday....

So much for in one day and out the next.... The doctor did make one good point. This came on pretty quick and had she been home it may have been much larger issue. It's common for bleeding like that occur but hers was more than normal.

I just hope it's worth it, she's had this issue with headaches since she was a kid. Someone jumped on her neck in a swimming pool when she was about 12 and she was on her back for a week then. It's been getting worse which is why she opted for the surgery.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 12:35 pm

There are a few famous lunch trucks in that area, not sure how close they'd be to you but if you ask one of the college students I bet they could direct you to one. Might be a little cold to stand outside in line today though! I tried the Taco Don something truck last year on a student recommendation, it was pretty good. On Sansom street near Penn campus is the best I can do for directions though.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Hope your mom recovers quickly and fully Richard.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Richard,
Prayers for your Mom for a speedy and full recovery.

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Prayers indeed my friend.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks, just want to reiterate everything is precautionary at this point more than anything. It isn't because she needs it but instead if she needs it. Being in the ICU on a ventilator sounds bad but she simply wouldn't get care like this at some other hospitals. Penn is ranked in the top ten hospitals in the country.

She may come off the ventilator today but that really depends on howmuch the swelling has gone down.

Actually has a lot of history, it's the first hospital in the US and existed before the revolutionary war. They have many of the original buildings and I may take the self guided tour today. They have one of those old time surgery galleries that looks very interesting in the photos. I love history and I have been taking some time to learn about the hospital. The main hallway has about 50 different photos and lengthy descriptions.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/paharc/collections/exhibits/amph/

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Prayers for you mother, Richard.

snuffy

Post by snuffy » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Richard,

Hope you were able to enjoy some good meals in the area. Priority is your mother of course but to mosey around that area is amazing and you're so close to Independence Hall. To bad the about the ideology that's gripped such a historical city. I don't purposely go to my alma mater (Penn) anymore because of it. Blessings and Prayers for your Mom.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 11:15 am

Yes it's very nice, Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell would be really cool if I didn't just see it in the Fall. We were here overnight for the Eagles/Pittsburgh game. Along with that we took the horse carriage tour and I'd recommend it to anyone. I was there at least once before when I was younger. Might take a walk to the mint for the tour tomorrow.

They took the ventilator off Mom, she's speaking and had some ice cubes. They will giver her some water shortly and move onto to some apple sauce. Might be out of here Tuesday but probably Wed.

What an ordeal, both these complications were possible but rare. The doctor said for them to both occur was incredibly rare. Just hope it was worth it in the end and the original surgery fixes the issue. The surgeon seemed fairly confident.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

snuffy

Post by snuffy » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Love to hear your opinion on Pat's or Gino's cheesesteaks, I never had time to go there. And don't forget the soft pretzels, everyone forgets them.

Maybe Freddy can concoct something with one of the above for the Saturday breakfast!

Good health and blessings to you and your Mom.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 8:40 pm

snuffy wrote:Love to hear your opinion on Pat's or Gino's cheesesteaks, I never had time to go ther.
Didn't realize they were so close to the hospital, might try one. Have to flip a coin. :P Saw the New Jersey is also close, would have gone to that but it's only open on the Weekend... damn. I've been on the North Carolina but that's not a Iowa class.

Night and day with Mom this afternoon, eating some soft food, using her phone. Voice is raspy but it's better than the hieroglyphics on the clipboard...she was heavily sedated. Should be on regular food by tomorrow. Looking good for getting out of here Tuesday so far.

Return to “The Coffee House”