Coffee 8-6-2016

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 5:59 am

The coffee house is always open. Come in! Good fresh coffee, tea, juice, water... we can wet your whistle & leave you ready to have a prosperous day. French toast & bacon? Good idea!

A busy week for sure. On Monday I have a two hour job and then I'm on vacation... I know, I know... if you live in Maine, how can you tell? LOL

The weather has been very good, but a tad hot. I can tolerate it, but sure am enjoying the AC from the heat pumps when I get inside.

If it doesn't rain I'm hoping to fill the coal bin tomorrow. Time will tell.

I hope you all have a smooth weekend & a great week ahead.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 6:55 am

Mornin all, outstanding b-fast choice Freddy! Not a thing goin on here--YET-- :) Enjoy the week-end people.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 7:23 am

Good Morning all & thanks for the breakfast, had the VFC combination picnic/ meeting on Thursday & the annual light co. get together today so kind of busy. Finally got our new over the range microwave out of the van so maybe today will be the install day (bought it on Monday) the old one works but the door plastic is disintegrating, apparently GE had a series of them that used the wrong plastic & we were lucky enough to get one, GE offers no help what so ever but that's typical from them.
Hope all have a safe & productive weekend, we did by the way get some more much needed rain but once again it was hard & fast. Had to cut the hay because of a spittle bug infection stopped it's growth so here's hoping the next cut will be good. :)

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 8:03 am

Mornin everyone. Great breakfast, Freddy.
Back in the spring, when I got my chicks, all they had was 'straight run', they aren't sexed. I ended up with 3 roosters. I figured I would wait til they grew up and butcher two of them. Well, I apparently waited a little too long. The two 'inferior' roosters ganged up on a hen to have sex with it, and broke her neck. That evening the two roosters were butchered.

Have a picnic to go to later, I hope the rain is out of the area by then.

Take care and be safe all

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 9:31 am

Good morning. Man was yesterday was a scorcher. Blue sky, very hot, and windy. Supposed to get back to 80 today, but they said the storms won't arrive until tomorrow. Hopefully I get all my outside chores done before the rain shows up. Crossed one thing off the list, got the oil changed on my wife's car while it was still nice and cool.

Don, I bought my hens when they were ~12 weeks old from a lady that had too many. Compared to what I remember from my dad raising chicks, and then getting rid of the roosters, I would happily start out with 10+ week old hens again. I kept them in the coop for the first week to let them get used to "home", and turned them out this morning. What a show...the bugs in the grass don't stand a chance.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 10:23 am

Rob R. wrote: Don, I bought my hens when they were ~12 weeks old from a lady that had too many. Compared to what I remember from my dad raising chicks, and then getting rid of the roosters, I would happily start out with 10+ week old hens again. I kept them in the coop for the first week to let them get used to "home", and turned them out this morning. What a show...the bugs in the grass don't stand a chance.
It's rough with the little ones. Gotta start with a brooder and heat lamps, then progress from there. And you are right about the bugs. We had the Cicadas here this year and boy did my hens eat good. I would catch them and hand feed my birds, lol.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 10:59 am

Good morning all,

Thanks for the french toast - my personal favorite. After two beautiful days in the mid 80s we are heading back to the hot, humid, hazy days of August. Boy has the summer flown by. School starts again in just over a month.

The bee season is over and as I've stated it's a good thing I'm not in it for gobs and gobs of honey. The lack of honey can be attributed to the brood disease, wet spring and the delayed arrival of the new queens. No worries, I've already switched to winter mode and the hives should be in great shape going into the winter. The bee hives attract a lot of birds, too. We have a rare bird here - the Blue Indigo - that has made an appearance this summer. This bird is a medium sized bird (blue jay being a large bird) and is neon blue. Between the birds, the bees and the butterflies there are a lot of creatures coming and going. I'm sitting here on the deck watching them take off and land now.

This sort of a lazy weekend. Next week DK and I are going to tour section of the VA Capitals Trail. We are starting at Jamestown, riding through Williamsburg and heading out toward Richmond for 25 or 30 miles before turning around. It's relatively flat and we've been riding an hour each day around our hilly neighborhood so we think we are ready to give it a try. At the least it will be interesting, :D

Have a great day, take care, Lisa

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 11:31 am

Good morning, I made a run up to Direnzo's this morning for a load. I got a little more than 2 1/2 tons of stove. Now I have something to do this weekend. Dennis

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 223.7KB | image.jpeg

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 9:34 pm

pintoplumber wrote:I made a run up to Direnzo's this morning for a load. I got a little more than 2 1/2 tons of stove.
Sweet haul!
lowfog01 wrote: We have a rare bird here - the Blue Indigo
Neato! I had never heard of it before. I just did an Internet search.... It's beautiful!

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi all just a tad late but I finally made It :) , Its been a very busy day trying to get caught up on all the chit I haven't had time for due to the July camping marathon!(3 campgrounds, 2 new ones, Port Clinton , MT Eaton Ohio and 1 old in Glenmont Ohio )
We had a fantastic time all last week, did Cedar Point on Monday with a 94° and 80% humidity ( I hate hot weather :mad: ) but we( the kid and I ) survived the weather and all the big coasters, stayed at a campground with a indoor pool and hot tub(nice but I would have enjoyed it better If It were snowing outside!!)
IMG_0720.jpg
.JPG | 191.9KB | IMG_0720.jpg
The 4 roof panels open on each side which Is nice but still to hot although that place Is opened year round so we may try It when Its snows out :D .
We finished off the week down alone the Mohican River, Did a lot of drinking, eating, and tubing. We were In the company of a Bald Eagle for the weekend, running the river and perched right crossed the river from our camp site at different times throughout the weekend. The pic Isn't real good but I did get some.
IMG_0727.jpg
.JPG | 132.2KB | IMG_0727.jpg
what a graceful bird!!
Other then that just the same old stuff!!!
pintoplumber wrote:Good morning, I made a run up to Direnzo's this morning for a load. I got a little more than 2 1/2 tons of stove. Now I have something to do this weekend. Dennis
Dennis, what was price per ton on the stove? I'm going to see If I can get to NEPA this year for the get together (If It pans out and the time Is right) but as always I need coal and I do like Direnzo's coal.

Ok friends take care and try to stay cool on this up coming week :) .

pintoplumber

Post by pintoplumber » Sat. Aug. 06, 2016 11:08 pm

It was $160.00 a ton. I called ahead to make sure they had stove. I guess they didn't have a lot. It stopped coming out of the chute, I looked in the trailer and it was full enough. 5340 lbs. Dennis

pintoplumber

Post by pintoplumber » Sat. Jun. 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Made my 1st coal run to DiRenzo's today. 5360 lbs. I'll make another run about a month from now. Dennis

Whoops, wrong heading.

Attachments

IMG_0774.JPG
.JPG | 276.4KB | IMG_0774.JPG
Last edited by pintoplumber on Sat. Jun. 24, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jun. 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Time Machine ? A Freddy Flashback ?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Jun. 24, 2017 2:18 pm

I once saw an Indigo in Maine. It was an amazing blue bird. I recently looked them up to see what their range is and they are supposed to exist all up and down the East coast. I think Maine is kinda far up for them...but i have never seen another one and the site I looked them up on called them common....?
Just got to busy as usual as I am planning my run to Maine...people coming out of the woodwork that want things done yesterday....But I worked for myself today and tiled the main bath floor. Not hurrying now as my brother has cancelled his southern swing due to issues on the further south end of it....I will be stopping at his home in upstate NY on the way up....out of the way but he has moved west to a lake house in Hadley, NY. Wants me to come up and completely renovate and build a 2 story addition but my wife wont have that.....already have peole trying to get me to work back Downeast....Phew, as an old timer said, "I am to busy working to make any money!" Have a great weekend all.

Kevin

Return to “The Coffee House”