Jury Duty

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Why do the jury duty summons say you have been picked by random, I'm summond every couple of years. I know some people that were never selected. Could it be I just renewed my pistol permit and they found my name. Might it be they want me to pack some heat in the event of a death sentance and they need some help to serve justice :rambo: . If they would punish some of the criminals instead of a slap on the wrist then crime might be lower. Anyway, I'm SICK of sitting in for jury duty selection for a day, I'm never picked, they don't like what I have to say :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :chop:

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Have a cooworker that has temporary turrets every time he gets called. He's never been selected.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Kinda think you gentlemen might be biased?!?! You have to call them as you see them.....but that is AFTER the case is presented.
I would be SHOCKED that anyone on the coal forum would be anything but fair in there assessment of justice as proposed by today's, whack jobs, AKA barristers! :wacko: :woot: :nono: :confused: :flush:

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Be glad its not federal jury duty. It can be weeks or months at a time.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 10:25 pm

coalkirk wrote:Be glad its not federal jury duty. It can be weeks or months at a time.
I had to drive to phily once for a fed. court :mad: and of coarse, they did not like what I had to say :lol: Like I say, I am fed up with jury duty, hope I am never selected. I must of seen 5 so far.

Nevercold

Post by Nevercold » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 10:34 pm

I never respond to the jury requests/demands.....so far so good :D .
I have utter contempt for the people/judges/cops,etc, and the system! :mad:

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 11:12 pm

You guys are nuts. I love jury duty. I like to brush up on my nullification techniques before I go, just in case I get seated. :)

So far, no luck.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 1:50 am

Nevercold wrote:I never respond to the jury requests/demands.....so far so good :D .
You better be careful with that, I know a local judge brought a whole bunch of people before him the one time that didn't show up.

As far as jury duty goes I believe in this area they use the voter registration rolls. It sucks but it's your duty, suck it up and go do it.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 2:15 am

I've sat in a jury twice, both times I really learned a lot about the court system, and it's NOT like what you see on TV.

If I could sit on an interesting trial, I don't mind, but to give up work, to show up and not be choosen.. it really pisses me off.

Greg L

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 3:27 am

LsFarm wrote: If I could sit on an interesting trial, I don't mind, but to give up work, to show up and not be choosen.. it really *censored* me off.

Greg L
That would suck, I only had to do it once. I was in the first pool picked, I ended up getting picked for the trial so I only spent about an hour or two in the room full of potential jurors. They had them damn metal chairs too, I couldn't imagine sitting there for a few days or even a week.

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 3:43 am

I was in a jury pool once, we file into the court room, as we came in I said hi and gave a small wave to a fella I sort of new that was sitting there. We sat down, judge ask me to stand and if I new anyone in this room, I pointed to what turned out to be the defendant, I was asked to sit down and I sat around counting cieling tile till they selected a jury and dismissed us.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 7:19 am

Been called once, but not selected. Been on the list twice, but called courthouse to show up and the cases were closed, didn't have to go.!

They also select from Tax Rolls and DMV records. It's not always the voter registrations.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 7:44 am

I was on a jury a little over a year ago, just as an alternate. I found it interesting, educational and it gave me a 3 year pass on any other jury duty summons. I used it once already just a couple of months ago.
You have to ask yourself “what if it was me sitting at the defendants table?” Someone has to be a juror, its comforting to know that your fate will be decided by the twelve people too dumb to get out of jury duty.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 9:04 am

Many, many years ago I got selected for a three month Grand Jury term. We met one a week for about a half a day. There was the occasional week off. It was a really education experience. Only heard the states side of the case and only enough to decide if a crime was committed. Showed me how the district attorney could sway a juries opinion about specific charges. All the evidence was presented by a assistant D/A (States Attorney in MD). The one we had was former military and former undercover cop who went to night school for his law degree. He was a tough, hang them, kind of guy. Bragged about still going on raids and busting down doors.

We had one case in which the son of a state trooper was arrested for breaking into a gas station. D/A managed to convince a majority of the jury, not me, not to bring charges against the kid. Told us the investigators determined it was a scheme to avoid the draft. Like I said this was a long time ago. Kid commits a minor crime, gets a arrest record and the military doesn't want him. D/A said it's better for him to serve his justice in the military and not indite the kid. I say go to trial. Let the evidence and jury decide. I've been suspicious of the court system ever since.

Years later the top States Attorney, the boss of the attorney that presented cases to us got into trouble with sex on the job. Seems promotions were tied to more than job performance. Turns out that he was so hated by the female staff, that the one that served him his coffee and tea got one of the male attorney's in the office to piss in his ice tea. That piss supplying attorney turned out to be, you got it, the macho, sawed off shot gun carrying, bust the door down attorney from my Grand Jury term. It all stinks and not just from the piss smell.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 9:51 am

My wife was in the jury room when they were picking jurors for the Cheshire murder trial of Steven Hayes. She was getting ill just thinking about it. I told her what dad always said, just tell them you have already formed an opinion on the case.

Return to “The Coffee House”