Jury Duty

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 6:22 pm

I don't think you can, because it will always go back to that, in some way, shape or form.

oppirs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo / CW #2
Other Heating: Lopi / Liberty

Post by oppirs » Wed. Feb. 29, 2012 2:11 am

I was picked!!!! I'm free to talk about this as I'm done with my duty. What a boring lawsuit. 3 days of worktime wasted. All I got was $40 plus mileage @ .50. No food like I got 20 years ago, while a juror.

I work for myself. So I git too suck this up! Still a fun process to go through as I've done before. Besides the $76 total, I got a lame certificate. This is 2 services on 3 summons so far, last summons was 8 months ago. After the trial, questioned the judge about being summons again in such short order. Here in IL you could be summons every week. But now I get a year off legally!

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Wed. Aug. 16, 2017 7:34 am

My number came up. $9 a day, life is good but will most likely last only one or two days. :cry:

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Aug. 16, 2017 8:08 am

gaw wrote:My number came up. $9 a day, life is good but will most likely last only one or two days. :cry:
$15 a day here in Maine. Plus a few cents a mile for transportation. I'm scheduled for a trial next week. It's an ugly case, and the judge cautioned us against discussing it with anyone. So I told my wife I am on a dull OUI case, to avoid the extensive advice I might otherwise get. :lol:

gaw

Post by gaw » Wed. Aug. 16, 2017 8:29 am

PA pays mileage and goes up to $25 a day after three days. The usual is 1 day of jury selection and if selected most trials are 1 day. In PA you can then get a pass for the next three years but I don’t think you are prohibited from serving I think it is just a valid excuse.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 16, 2017 9:04 am

In CT, you're employer pays you the first two weeks IIRC. After that it's jury pay.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Aug. 16, 2017 4:09 pm

I think I'm on the "do not call list". After I was a jurist in a criminal trial and I decided the law was too stupid to convict a youngster over.

I told the judge so and he got all mad yelling at me.

The I said the magic words, like "Well, its citizens who ultimately decide what the laws are, right? As exampled here, the legislature made a stupid law and we decided not to convict simply because we thought that the law should never have been a law."

More grumbling by judge ... on the list I guess.

Have not been called back....about 10 yrs ago.

This state sucks.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Aug. 16, 2017 4:47 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Then I said the magic words, like "Well, it's citizens who ultimately decide what the laws are, right? As exampled here, the legislature made a stupid law and we decided not to convict simply because we thought that the law should never have been a law."
Didn't the judge tell you that you were only to decide FACTS, with no leeway to apply common sense and second-guess the legislature? Interesting that the rest of the jurors went along with this, though I'm glad they did. :yes:

gaw

Post by gaw » Wed. Aug. 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Get a FOP T-shirt from one of your police buddies to wear to jury duty and the defense lawyer will excuse you or maybe a BLM T-shirt and the prosecutor will dismiss you or maybe a judge will have you turn it inside out and threaten to hold you in contempt. Someone needs to try this and report back, inquiring minds want to know.

Return to “The Coffee House”