Coffee 3-24-17

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 5:54 am

Good day Friends. Stop in for a moment & join us for a cup of Jo & a quick piece of life. French toast is ready for the griddle & the smell of bacon is in the air. Any new maple syrup? Enjoy it, share a thought as we normally do, but, as you leave, how about we be very quiet....tiptoe out,don't look back.... make the way toward April in a calm & quiet manner. Perhaps Old Man Winter will stay behind and fall into a deep, deep sleep. Once we get past "out like a lamb" I don't think the old man will be able to follow. I mean, geepers! It's been a hellofa winter, it's time to put this one the past!

Can't stay.... Gotta get my tools together & go put a whole car full of decals on a race car. Enjoy the weekend folks! Forward we go.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 6:19 am

Mornin all, OUTSTANDING b-fast choice Freddy!! :) New syrup right behind ya. Had a real good run for 2 weeks a couple weeks back. High temps not out of the 50's till mid April--nights upper 20's--30's--figurin shut down come early May. At least the MUCK has dried out quite a bit. Probably get the 8N runnin & do some ash spreadin on the drive way w/ back blade. Rollers still under a couple foot of snow. 22* as we speak. Enjoy the week end people.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 7:47 am

Good Morning, love the french toast!

Still watching the snow melt off down here but just the piles and shaded areas left. Hi temps in mid 40's for the upcoming week until rain gets us into the 50's on Thursday or Friday. So the stoker will probably be running into mid to late April.

Have a great day!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 7:55 am

Good mornin',
Coffee is good, Freddy, thank you. I think we can say the worst is behind us about Winter. Now, snow melt, and Spring! Hooray!!
Warm days, and cool nights. Ahh, 'life is good'. Take care.
Cheers

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 8:50 am

Morning all,

Sorry to do this but. .. Stomp, stomp, stomp. I would like old man winter to stay awake for another three weeks. Late night turns into a short day for me. I'm off to check out our winter rat as it has a vibration in the drive line. I hope it is just a cv joint going bad. Anyway, enjoy the day and MORE WINTER! I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend.

The snowman.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 9:51 am

It is a nice quiet morning up here in Northern NY. No wind, and the chickens are out enjoying the sun. The lake is still frozen, but there is very little frost left in the ground. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 11:23 am

Good Morning everyone.
Not so quiet here. The wind storm from a few weeks ago blew off a significant amount of my roof shingles. The roofers are here today taring off the old roof. It's like having a thousand elf's dancing on your roof!

Since that wind storm a few weeks ago, all the roofers in the area have been booked solid. I lucked out with this 13" of snow we got on Wednesday. Since my house is one story and a shallow pitch roof, I got bumped to the front of the line! They actually came and shoveled off my roof on Thursday. Should be all finished by Tuesday.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 11:34 am

I do not plan on ever installing another new shingle. They just do not stand up to the elements. Steel roofs for this guy all the way.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 11:48 am

X2 rob steel all the way, that’s what’s going on here when the 3 tab go bad.

top top

Post by top top » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 12:32 pm

X3 Rob. The only issue I've had with steel is a section with two inch pitch, leaves laid there and I have rust spots. The steel was new four years ago. This summer I plan to apply some Rustoleum and be more aggressive about pruning the trees. Also thought about making a roof rake/broom big enough to sweep the roof from the ground. I have several sticks of one inch 18 gauge SS tubing collecting dust. I should be able to fashion something from that and & a pushbroom.

I have a small garage I built about 18 years ago & used cheap 3 tab shingles which are probably within a few years of failing. I was thinking about putting steel directly over the shingles before they begin to leak, not tear off anything. Any reason not to do that?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Well, you can do that, but you need to strap the existing roof so through shingles do not touch the steel. I think removing the shingles is preferred.

That seems like poor quality steel if a few leaves made it rust?

top top

Post by top top » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I figured the acid just attacked the paint. Maybe I should just call them first? The panels are Fabral, I picked them up at the plant in Lancaster PA.

I thought the shingles would just replace the felt. They sell a plastic slip sheet that keeps the steel from sticking to, and then tearing, the felt as the metal grows/shrinks from changing temps.

http://www.fabral.com/

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Good afternoon gents sorry I'm late for breakfast but I decided I could use some extra this morning ( getting about 5 hrs sleep a day is starting to catch up with me :no1: ) The start of camping season is just a few weeks away so I figured I would start this morning off doing my every 2 year bearing service but!!! I did notice the springs are toast as the wheels are rubbing the underside at times so I ordered new upgraded springs( 6-leaves and not the under sized 4-leaf OEM crap :x ), u-bolts,and a complete set of wet bolts( drilled with fittings) so I'm hoping I will not have to replace them again.
I know everyone around here thinks the snow is done for the year but I know better, It always snows in NE Ohio in April and at times more then we like but thats life :) , other then that just the same old *censored* just trying to get a jump on the spring chores as the weather permits. Take care people and enjoy :D

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 4:58 pm

That's Right Kids ! The Whack is Back !!

Who else could retake-off for New Jersey,yet finally land in Summersville,West By God Virginia via Breezewood,Pennsylvania ! Ta-Daa ! What a Cuckoo Run in the heavy wet snow this was ! The storm closed in on us before we got anywhere near Somerset,PA. last Tuesday... We made the Killer-Diller PA Pike Run from Somerset to Breezewood,PA and got socked in there. Turns out that "The Joisey" didn't burn down as bad as expected,but they needed a hand in the SE Appalachians of Nichols County,West VA...

We got through yesterdays Snowmaker OK,and made the run Home this A.M. Can't tell You All just how good it is to type this out on Big Daddy's Archaic Desktop !

As Always,Take Care,Gang !

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 5:11 pm

T, just run 1x4 pearlings on the shingles & you're good to go. Plus facia. As for the rust, the stuff isn't magic, just a lot better then shingles.
top top wrote:
Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 12:32 pm
X3 Rob. The only issue I've had with steel is a section with two inch pitch, leaves laid there and I have rust spots. The steel was new four years ago. This summer I plan to apply some Rustoleum and be more aggressive about pruning the trees. Also thought about making a roof rake/broom big enough to sweep the roof from the ground. I have several sticks of one inch 18 gauge SS tubing collecting dust. I should be able to fashion something from that and & a pushbroom.

I have a small garage I built about 18 years ago & used cheap 3 tab shingles which are probably within a few years of failing. I was thinking about putting steel directly over the shingles before they begin to leak, not tear off anything. Any reason not to do that?

Return to “The Coffee House”