Coffee 3-17-2018

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 6:05 am

Good day my fellow coal burners! Please, come in and enjoy a moment in time to share a thought. The coffee is good 'n hot & breakfast sandwiches are hitting the fry pan. Your choice of ham, sausage, or bacon.

Just as we were thinking that Old Man Winter had done his last dance, we got 20 inches of heavy, wet snow this week. Crazy heavy stuff. Throw in the fact that the ground is soft & plowing was a nightmare. I snow blowed neighbor after neighbor with the John Deere as the plows just weren't cutting it. Even the John Deere had a tough time. It was so slippery I had to put the chains on it.....first time in 4 or 5 years. I usually break a shear pin once a year.... I broke three in 6 hours. And now they say maybe another storm coming? At least the Axeman Anderson is making my life easy. Oh, I almost forgot.... the snow took out my giant Rhino shelter. It didn't collapse, but it didn't survive.

RIP Stephen Hawking.

Hug your loved ones........forward we go!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 6:22 am

Mornin all, one of each for me Freddy--thanx! :) Yep, it's still winter!!! LOL Got Amish friend comin over to fill 14 5 gal. coal pails. Old HITZER continues to chug along. OT 19* inside 73* :) Last bin is 1/2 full (approx. 3/4 ton--should cover me till mid April. Been back draggin drive--way to mucky for real plowin. Still about a foot of snow. Enjoy the week-end people.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 6:39 am

Good morning. We got blasted with wind yesterday and most of last night, but it is a calm 22 degrees right now. We got a bunch of sloppy snow that is now frozen solid. I think I am going to be brave and try to flatten things out with the plow truck. I hate to drive on the lawn with it, but things seem to be frozen enough to take it. Supposed to be 4 degrees and breezy tonight, that will remind the EFM why it is here.

We have a monster slab of corned beef for later - trying a new recipe. Hope it works, because it takes 5 hours to cook. There will be no time for Plan B, other than that keg of beer I have on tap.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 6:57 am

Hi guys

Good choice on the sandwiches Fred, ham will be awesome for me. It’s 22 out there now, supposed to smack 40 later on today. It hasn’t really been a bad Winter as far as snowfall goes but the Wind has been remarkable. On a delivery yesterday the wind was blowing the rice out from under the truck before it could even hit the conveyor. The tarps tried to take flight several times and till it was all over there was as much rice laying in the grass as what was on the tarp under the back of the truck. Thankfully the end is near, it is beginning to wear me down. :cry:

I never did follow up with you all on the truck transmission... there is a gearset on the countershaft that is keyed to the shaft. That key broke, allowing everything to flop around in there like a basketball. It still functioned, but would not have for very long. A new shaft, key and gearset completed the repair and we went on about our merry way. Sometimes that’s just how it is when you are going West in a covered wagon... :)

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 8:15 am

Morning all,

Freddy, thanks for the wonderful food this morning. Do you think the rhino shelter is better than the shelterlogic shelters? I am going to be a pig and make a sandwich of each with one having everything on it.

We got about 10 inches of medium density snow. Not too bad. Wife and I were in Lake Placid for the week and they got hammered everyday. It was nice to see. Family did an ok job taking care of the coal stoves while we were gone. Not much on my list of things to do today. I need to bring in more coal and bring the stoves up to running temp. They have been idling for the past week. I need to clean out the driveway while I am at it.

FF, you have got to love the Amish. Glad to hear they are there to help you out. They came over to my parents home and shoveled off the 3ft. of snow from the house roof. I grew up around them and had them work for me for years, they are good people.

I'm hoping we get hammered by another storm this coming Tuesday. Snowmobile riding is still in full swing. I guess I need to get going so I can finish my short list today. I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend.

The snowman.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 8:29 am

[quote="the snowman" Do you think the rhino shelter is better than the shelterlogic shelters? [/quote]

Absolutely! The Shelter logic are junk compared to the Rhino shelters! I have a small Shelter logic...one that many people pay $600.... I paid $199 at a Tractor supply sale. It's not even 2 years old and the fabric is showing signs of impending doom. The Rhino shelters fabric will last well over 10 years every time.

I had almost 3 feet of wet snow on my 30 foot by 30 foot Rhino shelter. If I had known I should have roof raked it half way through the storm. On the house the wind keep it from getting too deep, but on the Rhino shelter it stuck like glue. Hence, the 2 1/2" steel tubes bent.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 10:27 am

Reality hits hard, after four days in Cape Coral, FL its back to Pennsylvania. Wouldn’t you know they had a bit of a cold snap when we were there, highs around 70° with a stiff breeze and morning lows 50° if we were lucky. The pilot blamed the rough ride home on the weather but I think they wanted to prepare us for the lovely pothole pocked roads in Pennsylvania. :evil:
The Keystoker took care of itself; I turned the house temperature down to 60°, filled the hopper and removed the ash pan because I figured it would overflow. When we got home the house was 60°, I had coal left in the hopper and had to remove 1 ½ tubs of ash from the base of the boiler. It could have gone at least another 24 hours without a problem but removing the ash pan was necessary to leave it unattended as long as I did.

It was 19° this morning at sunrise with no wind but now we have 33° and the wind has picked up. I’m glad I burned the garbage first thing this morning. We have been very luck as far as snow storms here because they all passed just east of us. I am ready for spring. :yes:

Rob reminded me I stuck my corned beef in the freezer and didn’t thaw it. :cry: At least I have beer :D to drown my sorrow and mourn the fact that I am one year older, anyway enough! Have a great weekend all and watch out for the next nor’easter.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi all and hows everyones St Patrick's day going? Our corned beef is almost done unlike gaw's still frozen like a rock :) and how did your new recipe turn out Rob?
I did manage to finish cutting down all the dead trees in the front yard as the last 4 I had to drop in the road so early this morning was a good time and 2 more to do in the back but thats for another day, I did find time to do lunch with my cousins at the local bar, lots of drunk people and It was only 1:00 :o oh well It was all good and without incident :yes:
I hope everyone has a good week to come, stay safe as we move forward :D

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 11:06 pm

It turned out to be a tough day today. One hundred and sixty miles all concluding with a wonderful sun set. Yup, it was a tough day. I am looking to have a repeat day tomorrow. The trails on the tug hill are in great shape so far. Have a safe and productive weekend.

The snowman.

Attachments

0317181740.jpg
.JPG | 658.3KB | 0317181740.jpg
0317181740a.jpg
.JPG | 632.2KB | 0317181740a.jpg
0317181752a.jpg
.JPG | 478.7KB | 0317181752a.jpg
0317181753.jpg
.JPG | 453.9KB | 0317181753.jpg
0317181831.jpg
.JPG | 484.7KB | 0317181831.jpg
0317181831a.jpg
.JPG | 484.1KB | 0317181831a.jpg
0317181831b.jpg
.JPG | 525.4KB | 0317181831b.jpg

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 10:41 am

Hello All !
On my recent torture test out of town experience,Our Crews were fortunate to find refuge in the Country Griddle Restaurant,285 State Route 202 in Flemington,New Jersey. They're a Greek Family operated eatery,and they carried a real touch of Home,and a real touch of Freddy's Coffe House ! They knocked Our socks off,so they deserved to have it said here ! I thought of You All rather often,but I kept my mind laser focused on the two facets of Our work day-1.) The "Air Combat" up on top of the pole.and the "Ground War" at the bottom of the pole and surrounding circuit right-of-way. Both of those areas are what maims and kills Us if we're not heads-up and professional about controlling Our Hazards faced in the commission of Our Duties when it comes to making Storm restoration/Circuit restoration possible. That's why You had seen me respond once in the thread that Jack was good enough to start on my behalf.....

I wanted You All to know what Your Gracious&Kind thoughts meant to My Family (Crew) on the job,and My Family back Home !

This Place Rocks,and that's NO ACCIDENT ! Many Thanx from the bottom of my mercenary little heart !

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 10:53 am

Good to see you back Bob!

Glad to see you found some friendly Greeks to feed you.

Stay safe out there.

-Don

Return to “The Coffee House”