Coffee 2-24-2018

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:09 am

Good day you coffee lovers! Come on in & join us for a minute. Share a quick thought & off we go to make a decent day. Corned beef has & eggs over easy will have enough calories to get us through.

Crazy week...... 5 inches of snow gave us one day of snowmobiling, then 60ish degrees the next day, than freezing sleet last night made the roads just awful. Spring is coming, but it's a yo-yo. Enjoy the ride!

I had a good laugh yesterday. A neighbor asked if I could help with a sink that wasn't draining properly. It seems some Harry-homeowner did his own plumbing. At one point in the cellar, as he was plumbing the drain, he deemed it needed to go over another pipe.....so.... elbow up, elbow over, elbow down & elbow to return flow to it's rightful path. Arghhhh! The kicker is....it worked for years! LOL Here's a picture. Water flow is from right to left.

Forward we go!

<edited plumbing description>

Attachments

20180223_141423[1].jpg

Flow is from right to left.

.JPG | 272.3KB | 20180223_141423[1].jpg

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:27 am

Good morning folks and how are things? coffee is the best Freddy :D .
Freddy wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:09 am
I had a good laugh yesterday. A neighbor asked if I could help with a sink that wasn't draining properly. It seems some Harry-homeowner did his own plumbing. At one point in the cellar, as he was plumbing the drain, he deemed it needed to go over another pipe.....so.... elbow up, elbow over, elbow down & elbow to return flow to it's rightful path. Arghhhh! The kicker is....it worked for years! LOL Here's a picture. Water flow is from right to left.
Thanks for the laugh this morning Freddy, WOW that pic is hilarious I've seen some wild stuff that people have done but thats a good one :lol:

I was busy last weekend with a volleyball tournament and we have one tomorrow also, man life is moving at the speed of light but always being busy isn't helping either :o . Have a great weekend boys and enjoy :)

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:33 am

Hi guys

And then on the next day... it rained again! Wild weather indeed Fred. Last Saturday evening we had 3-5 inches of heavy wet snow dumped on us in a very short period of time. By Monday, nearly all of it was gone and then Tuesday and Wednesday saw high temps in the 70’s. The big story is the rain that continues to pummel us at times, the creeks are all full and there is more on the way. The season of mud has arrived early this year.

I need to get back to work on the deep mine porch but the yard is still too wet to nose the loader into it and I’m not interested in making a mess. Instead today we will be working up at the old house and getting some things emptied out for auction. A final cleaning is due and I hope to have it sold by the end of the year. As many houses that are sitting around empty and for sale around here for long periods of time, I am less than encouraged.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 7:11 am

Good morning, sunny and runny please when it comes to corned beef hash! A friend needs a hand installing a kitchen so no day off for me. Wish I could have convinced my friend for me to make the cabinets, you get what you pay for. This 57 yr old is back in college so I'm hittin' the books between work and play.
Have a great week end all.

edit: Freddy unfortunately I've seen that special type of plumbing before, can't remember if the home was missing a stink pipe or if it had something to do with a bad septic. Either way it sure looks funny! :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 7:22 am

Mornin all, outstanding b-fast choice Freddy! :) Not a thing goin on here on the hill but MUD & MUCK. Still got 6-8" of old snow still on the ground. Walked & marked a 75 acre splotch yesterday, nice cherry & gotta get remaining ash out. Bunch of good sized hemlock for partners saw mill. God knows when we'll get at it. Oh well, enjoy the week-end people.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 7:54 am

Mornin',
Coffee for me Freddy, thank you. Ah, Spring is in the air! Warmer days, cool nights, and rain melting the snow. You gotta love it!
Cheers

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 8:13 am

Good Morning,Gang ! I'm seriously thinking about trying my hand at building and selling Ark's ! The snow piles from a week before Christmas has finally melted off,and We've also received a boatload of rain too ! As I type,I've got an enchanting combo of rain and ice pellets falling ! Good Times,Good Times !

I will refrain from commenting on the plumbing,Freddy.....

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 8:33 am

Morning all. Coffee is good and hot.

we've had 65 degrees on Tues and 6" of snow on Thursday. crazy weather. Lots of rain and wind coming for later today and tomorros. then 40-50's all week!

Had shut down the stoves for a long weekend trip and one combustion blower seized up, had a spare, got the LL back up with spare, finally soaked the other blower real good and got it back up and running.

OMG, the plumbing is hilarious :) Our old house, the previous owner decided to run the 4" toilet drain at about a 22 deg. angle thru a main support floor beam, he cut out about 6 feet or so of the beam for the pipe, really? Left about 1" of wood. I wonder why the floor was kinda bouncy right there.

have a great weekend!

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 9:01 am

Good morning from Myrtle beach,just had eggs and hash with grits great weather and golf,have a great weekend folks!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 9:07 am

Good morning all,

Thanks for the coffee Freddy. Not much going on down this way, except rain. We've been on the warm side, two days this week it hit 80 degrees and smashed all kinds of records.

I'm not a fan of 80 degree weather but it was a good test for the Axeman Anderson. Warm temps, low draft, no timer and not much of a load, it handled it with no problem.

Have a good week everyone!

-Don

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 10:07 am

Good morning all, not much going on here except playing nurse for a retired nurse....not fun.
Seen that type of syphon plumbing before, even ran across one where there was a clean T so it could be easily cleaned. With toilets it's fairly common to see a hacked out support beam, I don't know if it's a design error or the plumber doing what he likes before looking from below.
Hope all have a safe & productive week.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 11:06 am

50s and better in the forecast. Time to clean up the tractor shed. My 48" Stillson wrench and my right foot big toe had a discussion. No not aluminum either. Geez it hurts. Nothing else to report.

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Good afternoon,

I'm late, I missed the hot java and good eats. Have been busy all day. I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend.

The snowman.

Return to “The Coffee House”