Coffee 12-9-2017

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:06 am

Stomp the snow off your feet & come on in. The sock just stopped dripping so you won't find fresher coffee anywhere. The mugs have been pre-warmed making the coffee stay hot the whole way through the first pancake. Anyone got home made butter?

What a busy week! I did three small upholstery projects and one big canvas job since I was here. The canvas job is a 15 foot diameter *bra* to cover a giant satellite dish. It's almost 50 feet around the outside edge & it took 6 trips around to complete it. The size & weight makes it difficult to wrestle through the sewing machine. I will get a paycheck from Stephan King's radio station for doing it.

The coal boiler is easily heating this place. It never ceases to amaze me at how smoothly it does the job. Love it!

Christmas isn't far away......

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:25 am

My day starts with hockey practice at 8 am, and ends with a mission to get a Christmas tree. In-between I have some interlocking foam tiles to put down for a floor in the kids new game room.

Looks like the deep freeze is coming next Wednesday, our first windy 0 degree night of the season.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:52 am

Good morning all, gonna install a back up camera on the tractor today to make using the rear snowblower easier, we’ll see how that works lol

Like rob said the deep cold is coming after today, looks like snow almost every day too.

Keep warm everyone.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 7:12 am

Mornin all, lil late with home churned butter & some fresh syrup--BUT, ya ask, ya got! Outstanding b-fast Freddy--Linda must be back? LOL WE'll see what this predicted snow does. Got a couple inches on the ground now. Seems like my Native "let it snow" dance is workin. 22* as we speak--the old homestead at 72* Nothin special goin on today--YET!! Enjoy the week end people.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 7:20 am

Nice coffee and grub Freddy. It's a busy day up here in Millinocket with the 2nd annual half marathon running up the Golden Road...if I hadn't had foot surgery a few yrs ago, never mind who am I kidding lol!
http://millinocket.org/
gottah' get the plow hooked up on the ATV, the feet for the plow are somehow m.i.a. but I'll rig some carriage bolts, washers, and plenty of fasteners for now until I get me some new skids for the plow!

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 8:06 am

Good day lads, nice hot coffee and some pancakes to warm the tummy :) .
Its just kind of a do what ever day ( and I'm sure things will find me as they always do ) until this evening when we have the family Christmas party,
Freddy wrote:
Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:06 am
What a busy week! I did three small upholstery projects and one big canvas job since I was here. The canvas job is a 15 foot diameter *bra* to cover a giant satellite dish. It's almost 50 feet around the outside edge & it took 6 trips around to complete it. The size & weight makes it difficult to wrestle through the sewing machine. I will get a paycheck from Stephan King's radio station for doing it.
Wow Freddy thats a pretty big cover but I see that you handled it :yes: , I thought you retired? :lol:
Take care friends,stay warm, and enjoy!! :)

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 8:51 am

Morning all,

Freddy, thanks for the morning java and good food. Freddy, you can't retire. We need skilled craftsman like yourself to keep working and teaching anyone who will listen and/ or have an interest in your art. Its important!!!! Its a chilly morning here as we have 10F as I type. I just fed the 507's and one coal chubby jr. I was going to unhook the chubby jr since I do not need it to keep the shop warm. I'm done testing it. The 507 is capable of keeping the shop a nice 75F. I am running both stoves at a lower temp and maintaining the same shop temp while using the same amount of coal. So for now I will leave it. Customers seem to find it neat.

We had a few days of lake effect snow. I, however, did not get more than a dusting as the snow band was just a half mile north of me. The snow bands were narrow and moved around a lot so if anyone is thinking of riding snowmobile on the tug hill ( a term that covers a large area), call someone who lives in the area you want to ride as you might not have any snow.

The shelterlogic is now up. I did not want to go this route as I really do not like the cheapness of the shelterlogic shelters, however, I need a place to put the Ferguson 35 and snowblower since the Z4 will be taking its place in the garage. I am told the car is done but it doesn't sound like they addressed the underlying problem. Since it is snowing and the roads are now covered with snow, sand and salt, I will probably put the vehicle on a trailer and bring it home that way. I am not happy with the service dept at the dealership. Come spring, my wife and I may trade it in or sell it outright. The car did not meet my expectations and I would not be unhappy in the least to see the car go.

I am headed out to the shop to get some work done today. I hope to get in a very cold early afternoon 30 mile cycle and a 6 mile run with the wife shortly after. I think tomorrow I I will make a coal run. Maybe. I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend.

The snowman.

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 9:02 am

Keepaeyeonit . Wow Freddy thats a pretty big cover [/quote wrote:

I'll post pics of it after it's installed. I thought we might do it this morning, but we need to remove the receiver to install it and the station can't go off the air. The "spare" dish isn't working....and hasn't for some time? Once that's repaired we can do the install. ( somehow it's now my job to CNC a new Teflon part and I haven't been given the specs yet) Yup, his is what retired is all about LOL.

The Shelterlogic.... on the left and right down low, are pipes that hold the fabric. They clamp onto the legs. . When it gets windy the clamps don't hold. So here's the tip......Get some self tapping screws and put one screw just above each clamp to keep the clamps from riding up. Also, I think they come with 6 Earth anchors.... get more! Also.... the tubes that slide into the bottom hems of the doors. The wind shakes them loose time and again. Take some sort of goop (caulking, Shoe Goo, Silicone) and glue those buggers the best you can!

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 9:41 am

Oh yes, WKIT...know them well, I have been listening to Bobby Riusell and Jim Wit since I was 4 years old, but of course back then it was Z62...now does that make me an old geezer or what? No better weatherman on the radio than Jim Wit. He has been retired now for 15 years but does the weather for WKIT as a charity for kids in Maine and New York. He has a letter from George Bush Jr thanking him for his long term weather forecasts. The guy used to do a weather forecast calendar...for the next YEAR. He was accurate considering how far out he was predicting too.

Myself, off to buy more coal today.

Question: anyone buy coal from Dysarts in Hamden? I emailed them about Stove Coal availability and price, but they never got back to me. I could go bulk and save some money as they are not far from me if they have it and it is cheaper. Just curious...

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 10:00 am

It's a busy day up here in Millinocket with the 2nd annual half marathon running up the Golden Road...if I hadn't had foot surgery a few yrs ago, never mind who am I kidding lol!
http://millinocket.org/
gottah' get the plow hooked up on the ATV,
Choices, choices! This time of the year would I rather run a marathon in central Maine. have foot surgery or contract Ebola ... hmm that is a hard one.

I am looking to get a 20 year old Polaris Ranger 6x6. Does anyone have recommendations for a snow plow.

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 10:09 am

NoSmoke wrote:
Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 9:41 am
Question: anyone buy coal from Dysarts in Hamden?
My buddy John has bought from them in the past, but not anymore. They only sell Reading by the bag and he found it very hit or miss. Some bags were good coal , but others were pretty much unusable with so much dust, fines, & water that it was black mud.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Good Evening,Gang ! Been MIA around here as I pumped in 28 hrs of OT due to demand since Tueseday. Must've sailed through a Carton and a half of high quality hand made smokes and an easy 6 gallons of coffee during the effort ! Looking so forward to a day off before hitting it hard again next week. End of the Year madness is upon Us at work,and it'll just get more whacked out as the weather worsens and Christmas draws near ! No Complaints,though..... When We hit a quieter time,I'll be able to enjoy a little downtime ! Hope this finds You All Well,especially those of You getting whacked by that Lil 'Ol Snowstorm going up the East Coast......

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 10, 2017 4:43 am

Oh yes, WKIT...know them well, I have been listening to Bobby Riusell and Jim Wit since I was 4 years old,
OK, I will try out the Hudson Valley forecast.

http://users.bestweb.net/~witt/mail.html

Here is my long term forecast for Maine. Colder than a witches mammary gland with lots of snow. Please send $10 to 123 Anystreet, Chester NY.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:00 am

This AM on the hill. Callin for snow & single digits every day this week. Hmmm, interesting. THe old HITZER loves it!!

Attachments

001.JPG
.JPG | 32.1KB | 001.JPG

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:21 am

FF,
Yup, Winter is here! Time for the 'dancing blue ladies'. And, the snow plow! The Fall season was pretty warm this year, so we can't complain too much.#1-Be Happy! #2- Stay Healthy!
Cheers

Return to “The Coffee House”