Sometimes Life Truly Sucks

billw

Post by billw » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 4:47 pm

I have to take my dog to the vet's tonight to have him put to sleep. He's 12. Lately there has been a lot of blood in his stools. He lost about 1/3 of his body weight. The vet saw him a couple of times this last month but there isn't anything reasonable that they can do. He's got a mass on his liver and spleen. As much as I hate to see him go I can't let him suffer anymore. Sometimes life just *censored* blows.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Got a lot of old doggies buried up by the garden. Not a bad one in the batch.
Hard to come home to a house with no dog. Give yourself a couple of weeks
and then go pup hunt'n. The more mixed they are, the better they are. Cheaper too.
You've got tough duty tonight, but the dog has no regrets.

TSB

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:03 pm

tsb wrote:Got a lot of old doggies buried up by the garden.
Me too.
They are part of the family! Sorry for your loss! :(

billw

Post by billw » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:05 pm

I feel like I'm his executioner. I loaded him up with his favorite food, last meal and all. I'm just sitting around with him waiting for the time to go by until his vet appt. This is our second dog. I thought it would get easier to say goodbye, it didn't.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Yeah, I have to agree it's tough. We went through the same thing with our dog Auggie. He was an Akita and 12 years old too. That's old for an Akita because of their size. He weighed 107lbs. He developed a condition where his bones were becoming hollow and could no longer hold his weight as well as developing massive growths; not cancer just growths. Had we not made the decision we made he would have repeatedly broken his legs because he couldn't carry the weight. It really stinks not having him around anymore. He was truly a gentle giant. I wish I could tell you that the emptiness goes away real fast but it won't. It will take time and you should let yourself grieve over the situation. Concentrate on the good times. My prays are with you. Lisa

europachris

Post by europachris » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Indeed, it can. Our two English Cockers, Misty and Waldo, are getting up there. Misty is 13, mostly blind and getting a bit hard of hearing. So far she's holding up OK, but getting old and creaky for sure. Waldo is 11, and he still acts like a 1 year old puppy. I'm sure the time will come for Misty in the not to distant future, and I can't bear to think what it will be like. These are the first "real" pets I've ever had besides fish, a rabbit, and a parakeet. Sometimes I want to strangle them both when they are being a pain in the a$$, but the love and joy they provide far outweighs anything else.

Knowing when to say "when" is a tough decision, and the only real comfort is knowing they are not in pain anymore and in a permanently happy place. I've known people spending vast amounts of money keeping a pet alive far longer than God intended. I don't think that's fair to the pet as I'm sure it's not any fun for them.

Give him a big hug and and look him straight in the eye. He'll understand.

Chris
New Image.JPG

Waldo on the left, Misty on the right, Nathan in the middle

.JPG | 836.6KB | New Image.JPG

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:11 pm

billw,

If you had what your dog has, you'd be so lucky to have
somebody give you peace. He knows, and he loves you for it.

TSB

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:15 pm

I am very sorry to hear about this. I know he was part of your family and it is a great loss. Try to remember the wonderful times you had with him and all of the joy he brought to you. He will never forgotten or replaced.
God speed to you and your family.
Last edited by SuperBeetle on Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Can't ever read this without tears.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:20 pm

That's tough Bill, I went through the same thing just a few years ago. Quite similar circumstances, running around in the summer like always and not really showing her age and ended having to put her to sleep mid fall. The suddenness can be a little shocking. Only had that dog and another in my whole life and both were pretty heavy blows when they passed away and unfortuntely both had to be put to sleep...now I've set myself up again... It's tough at the end but try and remember the good things.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 5:33 pm

It is hard to let them go. But suffering is not ideal. I would wait more than a few weeks for a new dog. You need time
to mourn.

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 6:08 pm

My heart goes out to you Bill.
We sure do get attached to these dogs because they get so attached to us first. Loyal and loving unconditionally.
I'm sure you've done your part and given him a good life. Say your goodby knowing that you're giving him what he needs right now; peace.
I've had to do the same thing and there ain't no easy way to do it right. He needs you there at the end.
You are right on the money though; it sucks!
Best regards,
-Len

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Been there. Toughest decision I think I have ever made, but it had to be done. Getting a dog has responsibilities that go with it, one of which is taking care of them right to the end.

Good on ya for doing the right thing.

acesover

Post by acesover » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Sorry

ken

Post by ken » Mon. Feb. 02, 2009 7:11 pm

that really sucks Bill. I'm sure you 2 had alot of fun together. Don't callem mans best friend for nothing. Tuff to let him go. :(

Return to “Pets”