Sometimes Life Truly Sucks

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 5:53 am

Bill, anybody who's ever known the joy of companionship of a dog knows exactly how wrenching all this is for you. I'm in that group and am sorry for your loss.

Never had a dog till I was in college -- and sadly don't have any now -- but I've had 4 altogether, 3 of them golden retrievers, and they've all been absolutely wonderful. The deal I make with myself and them is that, when the time comes, I'll hold them all the way to the end and bury them in the garden. It's very hard but brings closure.

My other thought is that, as painful as the parting is, dogs add so much more to our lives than their losses detract that it's not even close. So, unless you have a good reason not to, you should get out and replace your buddy as soon as you can do the training.

Don't forget Harry Truman's famous political advice: "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog." Since then, President after President has done just that. It's perhaps the ultimate compliment -- to dogs.

Hollyfeld

Post by Hollyfeld » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 6:09 am

Bill, I'm very sorry about your pup. :(

You're right, sometimes life does truly suck.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 6:15 am

I was introduced to the five-cent solution to pet sickness when I was a little kid. My cat, Boots, was caught in the Combine machine and had all four legs and tail cut off and yet it managed to crawl its way back to nurse her kittens. My father took care of the problem as I cried in my bedroom.

billw

Post by billw » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 7:25 am

Thanks for all of the well wishes. I stayed with him until the end last night. Watching the light go out of his eyes made me cry like a baby but I know it was the right thing to do. My youngest son took it pretty hard even though we knew this was coming. This was his 'childhood' dog. Thanks again.

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 7:45 am

Bill.....I've walked that path you just took many times....and many more to come...It is the single most difficult task a pet lover has....my condolences....

FOUR FEET

I have done mostly what men do,
And pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through--
Wherever my road inclined--
Four-Feet said, 'I am coming with you!'
And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round--
Which I shall never find--
Some where that does not carry the sound
Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

--- Rudyard Kipling ---

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 11:42 am

Bill, so sorry to hear of your loss of your owner. I too have been down that road. You will now remember all of the good. And realize that he is thankful for what you did to end his suffering.

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker

Post by Pa Dealer » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 4:37 pm

When a pets quality of life is gone the owner is it's only savior,sorry for your loss.

RY

envisage
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Werner Foundry 350a
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400, Fire Boss Wood/Coal Hyrbrid
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat, Pea, Chestnut and Stove

Post by envisage » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 4:50 pm

I am very sorry for your loss. I have read through this thread with tears in my eyes, even now. My dog Lucky is my first dog as an adult, but I grew up with 3 different dogs as a child. He is "only" 9, and relatively healthy, but I know his day and mine will come. I pray that I will have the strength to do what you did, the way you did it, when that time comes. For now, I pray for you my coal burning friend.

ray in ma

Post by ray in ma » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Bill I am sorry for your loss
I am not really a religious person but I believe that God will take your friend and put him at peace, and so too your peace will be returned.

Bobs86GN

Post by Bobs86GN » Mon. Oct. 19, 2009 10:59 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I do understand as I just lost my best friend. Her name was Babygirl. A cocker spaniel. She battled cancer for just over a year. We gave her chemo and she never got sick at all. It cost a ton of money but I'm just gratefull I could pay for it. No regrets whatsoever. It has only been 1 week since she left me and I still break down and cry like a baby. I have always loved my pets but she was just like a soul mate to me. Hard to really explain that even to myself. It's hard for me to type much so I'm going to just copy and paste a email I wrote to a friend of mine in response to his condolences. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I think many of us feel this kind of pain. I am just having an awful time getting past this. I miss her so much it is like a big hole in my life. I hope you feel better after the passing of months and I hope you have faith.Anyway:
Thanks, Steve for your thoughts. Of course I blubbered all over my computer reading them. I have no regrets with what I did. I wondered for a few days and nights if it was time for her to go but the next day would end up being well worth it. Tail wagging, face lick, paw on my knee, a ball in her mouth and those wicked sad eyes looking at me with her tail waggling away-man that was worth living another day. That last night followed by that last day was less than fun. Her breathing was labored, her fever would come and go, and she almost could not stand up at all. She pooped on the kitchen floor in the morning because we didn;t put her out soon enough-just letting her relax. Wasn't her fault. She looked sad that she couldn't get up to let us know. We just cleaned her up and gave her more kisses and hugs. That afternoon pat saw some blood in her drool as she laid on the floor and I just held her for a long,long time trying to read her thoughts. There was no more tail wagging, or face licking and that was the very first day in her entire life that she didn't want to eat anything! I called Marion Animal Hosp. and they said I could bring her in to end things. That sweety just wouldn't let me have to do that to her. Pat rode in the back seat of the truck and held her while I drove to the Vet through the back roads of Rochester. After a short ride, she picked her head up and looked at both of us and pooped on the blanket. Then Pat said "I think she's gone". I just yelled No. I pulled over and went in the back and held her and listened to her chest-I heard nothing at all. I thought that I had missed holding her at the very end. Then suddenly she came back to life and looked at me, took 3 gasps for air and she was gone in my arms. Needles to say I balled like a baby and could care less.Long story short- We continued on our way again but instead of the Vet we went to Angel View Cemetary. Pat stayed in the truck with her While I made arrangements inside breaking down several times. We had her cremated and I actually got her back the next afternoon. She's right in the living room with the other wild animals (where they usually hang out). I know you understand. I know Dennis and Ricky Dee know what its all about too. It would be easier if I thought I'd see her again someday but I don't have any faith anymore. Kinda makes it crappier I guess. At this point in my life I feel that there is no God. Or if there is, he's an *censored* anyway and I don't want tom meet him. I'd tell him that to his face. It is what it is I guess. Best I can hope for is that I'm the ass and sadly mistaken. Your words and thought were much appreciated and I am lucky to have you as a friend (along with most of the rest of the gang). Thanks. Some bonds are just more special than others. Babygirl had something special with me that I can't explain. I love them all.... but she was different somehow.She had a pretty good last weekend with us that I will never forget. I have lots of video that are just for her and me to remember. Later. :(
BTW she is the one on the right in my profile pic

30-40 Krag

Post by 30-40 Krag » Sat. Jan. 22, 2011 9:09 pm

I like to think God has a special place for our pets. We just lost our freind of 17 years, a cat named Lucky. Terrible loss.....

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 8:11 am

Yea he does--they become a big part of the family. Sorry for you loss my friend :( memories :)

Return to “Pets”