New dog food help guys

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 5:19 pm

Guys i bought a Ryman Type English setter who was a brood matron at a kennel .Not a puppy mill .Im looking for dog food recommendations .Shes 6 years old thin 48 pounds fast as hech .I am assuming She May have been a fatter diet in order to nurse her last litter .The kennel person gave sold me a bag og PurinaProplan sport dog food .The label hasCorn Gluten whole grain wheat brewers ricegerm meal.Thesetter place has like 60 or more dogs im thinking is the Purina Sport food a cheaper product for all there dogs .Please help me changethis food.We lost a 11 year Old Setter 2 years ago diabetic too fat Some My My blame .My Blame .Please need your input jack.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Hang On,Jack! We'll Knock This Dilemma Out! I know any PowerPup Diet Change has to be a gradual deal when introducing a new food! Maybe I'm missing something in your post,but I'm guessing you have Ol' Trixie on the same food that she was on at the kennel. We'll get the Smartfeed from these here Coalers' that have been through a similar situation! By the time we're done,she'll be eatin' better than you! I of course realize that I'll Burn In Hell for that last statement!

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 6:25 pm

I put my dog on fish based dog food at the advice of the vet. Previous owner had him on whatever was cheapest. His coat was a mess. He’s wired haired pointer. He wouldn’t stop scratching. I thought it was fleas but the vet said probably his diet. I mixed the fish based food in with the bag of cheap food they gave with him and eventually went full fish based. The itching stopped and his coat turned to a glossy sheen. I was having trouble getting the fish based dog food as I live in the sticks so I put him on Hills. It ain’t cheap but he ain’t itchin and his coat still looks good. Yeh his food costs more then my food. I live on beans and tuna fish.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Many cheap dog foods will still have a high protein percentage but its proteins that arent meat based, like veggie protein and proteins that a canines body cant use. I used to be able to tell by the ingredient label but dont remember how now. But there is a way.

As Fig mentioned, their coat gets ugly if they arent fed right or if they are sick. Almost any animal does, even humans hair sometimes. Its something to watch for that isnt mentioned often enough.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Dogs shouldn't be on a high protien diet, it beats up their kidneys. Cats are the opposite.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Right, but it has to be the right kind of protein in it. And depends on what the dog does and if its getting table scraps. Cheap, usually store brand stuff, isnt usually fit to feed. There may some good store brands but I cant name any offhand.

Really though, any of the major brands should work fine. Might be cheaper to feed it Tbone steak, lol

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 1:26 am

Jack, what HB said--but---I fed my black & tans nothing but PURINA--from puppy chow all the way up to adult food--all lived to a ripe old age except one & a coon got her in a pond & got gut tore!! Can't imagine them eatin carrots & such!!!!! Just another YUPPY ploy!!! LOL

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:45 am

I feed my lab 4health food. Ive had her on both the salmon and beef varieties, dont notice a difference in her coat. She does seem to prefer the beef kind. I just picked up a bag of chicken to see how she likes that. It runs about $1/#

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:59 am

Some breeds tend to do better with one type of food than other. Ours always seemed to do better with grain free food.

I would expect a good breeder to be happy to make a recommendation to you.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 9:09 am

Qtown1835 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:45 am
I feed my lab 4health food. Ive had her on both the salmon and beef varieties, dont notice a difference in her coat. She does seem to prefer the beef kind. I just picked up a bag of chicken to see how she likes that. It runs about $1/#
Cook the chicken and take the bones out before feeding it. Boiling a long time is the easiest to get the bones out. Bones get brittle after cooked and raw chicken can sometimes make them sick with salmonella.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 11:15 am

Guys Giv e Me Some Names .jack What Company

Qtown1835

Post by Qtown1835 » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 11:58 am

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 9:09 am
Cook the chicken and take the bones out before feeding it. Boiling a long time is the easiest to get the bones out. Bones get brittle after cooked and raw chicken can sometimes make them sick with salmonella.
Yeah im not feeding my dog fresh chicken. She is getting "chicken flavor" dry food. I love my dog and all, but i will be the one eating the fresh chicken :D

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 12:39 pm

Chicken is not always the best choice. If the dog starts scratching or chewing on himself he would be allergic to chicken. This is not an uncommon allergy for dogs.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Qtown1835 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 11:58 am
Yeah im not feeding my dog fresh chicken. She is getting "chicken flavor" dry food. I love my dog and all, but i will be the one eating the fresh chicken :D
I had a Britany Spaniel who used to get loose once in a while and eat one of our chickens. She was real old and started losing weight and I just figured it was her time. But as days went by I figured out it was a chicken bone caught on her very back teeth and kinda wedged against her jaw. It was too painful for her to eat. It took a pliers to remove that bone how tight it was. She ate a lot of food as soon as I got it out. It does happen, the chicken bone thing.

Jack, nothing wrong with Purina or any of the big name brands. Dry is cheaper but fussy dogs sometimes you have to mix some canned in with it.

Qtown1835

Post by Qtown1835 » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 1:08 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 12:39 pm
Chicken is not always the best choice. If the dog starts scratching or chewing on himself he would be allergic to chicken. This is not an uncommon allergy for dogs.
With all of the random scraps she picks up im confident she is immune to about anything. LOL She ate 3# of Halloween chocolate at 2years and survived that, im not sure chicken will set her off. Good to know though, if she does get itchy i can switch food.

Return to “Pets”