best buddy down

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 8:08 am

So my loyal companion Oakley is celebrating his birthday today on the injured list. He loves to run and is the fastest dog I've ever known. He catches squirrels and rabbits! Anyway the other day while clearing the yard of intruders (squirrels, rabbits, etc.) he went down and let out a terrible yelp. He didn't even want to let me pick him up. Bottom line and $700.00 later at the emergency vets, he has ruptured his cruciate ligament and will require surgery. It's the k9 equivalent of the ACL. Surgery is 8K! I just about fell over when I heard it. He is 8 years old and in otherwise in great shape. My wife isn't really onboard with having the surgery. She's really not on board with having to borrow money to do it. He's a mixed breed mutt but that doesn't matter to me. What can you do when your best friend is hurting?
oakley.PNG
.PNG | 1.1MB | oakley.PNG

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 8:17 am

Sorry you pup is hurting. Thats quite the spot you are in right now. I had a similar situation with a new pup that we got about 5years ago. She ended up getting tumors on her right leg. we paid to have testing, then surgery #1, they grew back and had surgery #2, came back again and they suggested radiation. Thats where i drew the line. at just around 4k in surgeries i was not going to take a flyer at radiation and we elected to have her leg amputated. So now i have a tripod chocolate lab who has adapted wonderfully and much better than i expected. Spending $1400 on my new hunting buddy only to dump another 4k into surgeries and another $750 in taking 1/4 of her legs was not in my master plan, but ultimately she is an awesome family dog and i am happy with my decision.

Before you get too far down the road i would get a second opinion or maybe even a 3rd before you make a decision on how to move forward. The cost of procedures, while ultimately very expensive, will vary greatly between practices.

I hope you can find some clarity in the situation soon.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 8:47 am

C K call penn University hospital in Philadelphia .They may be able to help .jack

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 9:36 am

What Jack said C----------------------- They got a REAL good Vet school.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 9:42 am

Teaching schools are the best...
Same deal for humans...
Friend needed full dentures...
Removal of all teeth then the dentures...
Tufts dental school did the work...
The price difference was amazing...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 10:26 am

Hmmmmm, what C said also!! Sorry to hear about Oakley--Puppy prayers headed your way, from mine to yours.

Attachments

009.JPG
.JPG | 47.8KB | 009.JPG

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 10:59 am

I don't know the life expectancy for Oakley but that should be a consideration also. 8K is a large investment, especially if you don't have it burning a hole in your pocket. It's tough to be rational when emotions take over. You are in a difficult position my friend.. and sorry to hear this about your loved one.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 11:26 am

Sorry to hear about your loved one. It's got to be a very difficult decision to make. Hopefully checking around will get you a better price and get her back to normal. Best of luck.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Really tough decision CK. I'd get a couple more opinions and hope for an alternative to the surgery.

Do some research on pet care forums too. I found a successful treatment plan on the interweb for one of our dogs after $2k in misdiagnosed surgery didn't heal her and she was recommended to be put down. (And that was by one of the U of Penn regional clinics.)

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Two different vets, one at the emergency vet hospital who did x-rays and examined him and his regular vet both said he should have the surgery. When he walks the lower leg bone beneath his knee is pushing on his skin and its obviously painful. Neither of those practices do this surgery. His regular vet is someone I've known and trusted for many years with all of my previous dogs. Yes I know he is 8. But other than this injury he's in excellent health. He could live another 6 years or so. It's a lot of money. But I can't stand to see him hurting and I can't put him down because he ruptured a ligament running. I love him like I have all my dogs. Truth is I like most dogs better than I like most people. If I were wealthy it wouldn't be any question. I know I should listen to my head and not my heart.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Coalkirk best of luck with your pups. I understand everyone needs to make a living but animal vets just seem to make things very expensive. Hopefully someone helps you out.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Which leg is injured? Can he put any weight on it at all? Maybe he'll learn to favor it and deal with it on his own? I don't know.. what about a GoFundMe page? I know it's hard to ask for help but I would donate as I bet many here would if they could :)

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Sorry to hear about this CK.

Tough decision to make. I have a Jack Russell and my wife has a Dachshund and roughly 6 years ago the latter got extremely sick and dehydrated. She was about 8 years old at the time. Had to rush her to Metzgers Animal Hospital in State College one early Sunday morning. I thought for sure the poor thing was going to die in my lap before we got her there.

It was a $1,500 bill that we would have to pay if we had them operate and keep her a few days. At the time my wife and I didn’t have two dimes to rub together but with no children, our dogs meant the world to us. I remember thinking “She may not have many years left anyhow” but I couldn’t bring myself to let her go. Somehow we managed to make it work, probably more divine providence than good management.

I have had dogs all my life. I remember reading once that to the World, they are just a dog... but to the dog, You are the whole World.

You have my prayers and no matter the decision you make I am sure it will be the right one.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Im so sorry about your dog. The situation you are in is the reason I dont have dogs anymore, the possible huge vet bills that have to be paid. I'd feel the same about it as you, it having to be done. I hope you can find a cheaper option. Poor Oakley! Get well soon!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Eh,What The Hell...Take some Free Advice from a Complete Moron,Terry!
'Seems to me that blowing 8 Grand on an 8 year old Mutt would give the Average,Rational Human the Trots. Usually someone comes up with the comment about how You should spend 47 cents,look him in the eye,then let him have it! Nice to see at this Board We hold a much Higher Standard than that! When my time comes to be in Your shoes,I'm going to do the pre-Christmas Dumbfest and blow the money on the Mutt. If it All goes well you and Your Furball will wake up the next morning,Crack A Beer,Puke,then enjoy the rest of Your time together! If this get's You a Divorce,You could come and Live with 'Ol Ham! Hell,it'll be my fault anyway for giving You Lousy,but Heart Warming Advice anyway!!
God Love 'Ya,Good Luck And Merry Christmas!

Return to “Pets”