Dog Food Recommendations?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 11:08 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 12:11 pm
Been feedin all my labs & black & tans PURINA from the get go--BUT--they're all out runnin the fields every day. ... Usually eye-sight & hearing goes first then back legs--rarely hips. $20-somethin for a 50 lb. bag
Running the fields is helpful, they get to supplement the Purina with ungulate poop. If there's more there than they want to eat, they can roll in it to keep the aroma alive for hours. ;)

We usually have noticed hearing goes first -- they start to be upset by train traffic or thunder that never bothered them in the past. Sold my car on the front lawn a few years ago, and my elderly dog didn't even tell me people were there, they had to call me with the phone number on the window sticker.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 9:53 am
My dog gets sick if he has food with fish in it. We feed him a food made with beef and sweet potatoes and he does well with that. He also makes sure he is close by when the kids have eggs...I think he would kill to lick egg yolk off a plate.
Yeh my dog has a weird stomach. My moms dog recently passed and she had been using pill pockets to get her dog to take its medication prior to its death. She had a few bags of these pill pockets left over and gave them to me. I was going to just use them for treats for my dog. I gave him one and he barely got it in his belly before he emptied the contents of his stomach in the carpet. Maybe the birds will eat them.

Bocephous
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III

Post by Bocephous » Sat. Jan. 16, 2021 9:09 am

We feed our three dogs 4Health brand, sold by Tractor Supply and manufactured by Diamond which is a U.S. based company. The ingredient list is pretty good, it is highly rated as far as quality, and it is affordable for a quality dry food. We order it from TSC, shipping is free for any order over $50, and TSC will replace bags that are received torn with no questions asked.

Here is a link to a review:

https://www.dogfoodinsider.com/4health-dog-food-review/

Here is a link to one of their products (we feed ours chicken and rice):

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4health ... _vc=-10011

Here is a list of ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, dried beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Jan. 16, 2021 12:51 pm

Table food,fast food,milk and cookies,beer.

I have to "share" what I'm having!

Dianapak

Post by Dianapak » Tue. Jan. 19, 2021 7:36 am

I have heard that Purina is a good one, but what are others similar to it by quality? Do you know any?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 19, 2021 9:20 am

Yep, for about 10--15$$$$ more a bag there's a few. They even got carrots in them!!!! LOL

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 19, 2021 10:06 am

Purina is probably the best affordable one for dogs not getting any scraps. You can feed cheaper ones if they are getting scraps and other added meats if you want too. You can feed higher priced ones if it tickles your innards. The more work they do the more meat protein they need. Some breeds might need more meat too. Wanna kill your dog feed vegatable protein dog foods which are usually real cheap or have fancy names.

A dogs hair quality will tell you a lot, or any other animal too. May sound silly to some but its true. Thick shiny hair in fall and winter, shiny and not scraggly after they shed. Old dogs or animals its tougher to tell.

Dianapak

Post by Dianapak » Wed. Jan. 20, 2021 8:12 am

Hmm... thank you for your recommendation! I didn't think that dog hair is that important :) Though, it does make sense if to think about it. Likewise, people's hair tells us if we have any insufficiencies in vitamins or in something else. Actually, I have now remembered when my dog was feeling off because of pests, his hair began to fall rapidly. Thankfully, my friend recommended me this pest control product that helped us as fast as possible and my love didn't suffer long. From now on I will pay thorough attention to my dog's hair!
Last edited by Dianapak on Thu. Jan. 21, 2021 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 20, 2021 9:16 am

Actually it is D--if your dog's got dull hair they're not gettin enough oils in their food--personally, we add some corn oil to their food daily. 4 tablespoons. Puppy loves his Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) If he don't kill her with his clutzzyness, we'll be fine!! :lol:

Attachments

002.JPG
.JPG | 44.5KB | 002.JPG

Return to “Pets”