Dog Food Recommendations?

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Thu. Apr. 27, 2017 7:55 am

We feed ours taste of the wild, and are set up on automatic delivery with chewy.com. they ship it at intervals specified by us and give you a discount when you setup automatic delivery. it works well for us

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 11:22 am

We give our Brittany Nutrish chicken and vegetable and he does well. We also sometimes in table scraps after meals potato,squash,vegetables,etc. Or I'll crack a fresh egg over his food.

I had been considering 4 health at Tractor Supply. Not sure if it's any good or not?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Been feedin all my labs & black & tans PURINA from the get go--BUT--they're all out runnin the fields every day. One spayed female yellow lab/weimerouner mix gets a bit less then the males--she IS queen of the roost!! LOL They've always made it to 14-16 healthy yrs which is outstanding for big dogs. Usually eye-sight & hearing goes first then back legs--rarely hips. $20-somethin for a 50 lb. bag

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I’ve been feeding my dogs pitbull/boxer and bullmastif / pitbull 4 health from TSC. I get the grain free and they do well with it. They also get bone broth when available. My last dog Bruiser Bull mastiff / lab lived to be 16 . Great for a big dog 130 #. Back legs finally gave out and had to put her down. Best dog I ever had.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 8:31 am

The last Golden that I had I also fed her Purina. She lived to be 14 then her kidneys finally gave out. But like FF said good age for a large dog. The Golden that I have now I was feeding Taste of the Wild but something in the food would rev her up to much for an hour or so after she ate it so I switched her over to a Blue Seal brand and she is much better. Both are grain free and the vet said that a grain free diet was better in the long run. We'll see as she is only three and she runs a lot in the lower field.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 9:46 am

Logs wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 10:48 pm
I’ve been feeding my dogs pitbull/boxer and bullmastif / pitbull 4 health from TSC. I get the grain free and they do well with it. They also get bone broth when available. My last dog Bruiser Bull mastiff / lab lived to be 16 . Great for a big dog 130 #. Back legs finally gave out and had to put her down. Best dog I ever had.
I feed my lab 4 health as well. Healthy and has a nice coat.

Neilman

Post by Neilman » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 2:45 pm

I give my labrador homemade food like a lot of meat and some vegetables too, I do not trust commercial food

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Bullymax, might not be for everyone cause of the price or for big dogs that eat big too, but it’s good stuff. My dog loves it.

Dianapak

Post by Dianapak » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Yeah, agree. Mine does too, even though he is very picky :)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 3:42 pm

Still feedin PURINA--from puppy chow to adult--all labs, retrievers & coon hounds--all have lived to early teens , all pushin 100 lbs. Soooo, I think I'll stick with it. BUT----------------- they all run free here on the farm. I think exercise is a lot more impt. then diet within limits!!

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 8:16 pm

My dog is mixed with German wired haired pointer. He was really itching a lot when I got him. I thought it must be fleas so I took him to the vet. They said it was his skin reacting to the proteins in his dog food. They told me to switch to fish based dog food. That stopped the scratching. If he even gets a snack with the wrong proteins or human foods he’s back to itching. Weird. I have him on Hills now.

Attachments

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 9:35 am

Mine eat table scraps and both are healthy and fine. Before everyone starts scolding me, my dogs always live much longer than average and never are sick much, compared to my neighbor, who feeds hers special high dollar food from the vets office and hers get check ups every three months. She hasn’t had one yet make it to their average life span. She says it’s because they are pure bred dogs where mine are just mutts.
We do eat a lot of venison and other wild game, so table scraps it is for them. But the Wife doesn’t do so well on them though, she is 100 lbs overweight and sluggish. Too many twinkies I guess.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 9:44 am

Twinkies indeed B-------------------- LOL People get brain washed about these high $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ foods & gotta go for it---just more sheeple crap!!! LOL Dogs love the deer season time!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 9:53 am

fig wrote:
Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 8:16 pm
My dog is mixed with German wired haired pointer. He was really itching a lot when I got him. I thought it must be fleas so I took him to the vet. They said it was his skin reacting to the proteins in his dog food. They told me to switch to fish based dog food. That stopped the scratching. If he even gets a snack with the wrong proteins or human foods he’s back to itching. Weird. I have him on Hills now.
My dog gets sick if he has food with fish in it. We feed him a food made with beef and sweet potatoes and he does well with that. He also makes sure he is close by when the kids have eggs...I think he would kill to lick egg yolk off a plate.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 10:52 am

bksaun wrote:
Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 9:35 am
... table scraps it is for them. But the Wife doesn’t do so well on them though, she is 100 lbs overweight and sluggish. Too many twinkies I guess.
Twinkie yourself. I hope you wear a football helmet while you sleep to avoid "accidents". :lol:

Return to “Pets”