Sausage Dog Safety

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Dec. 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Have four doxies going out at night to do their duty before bed. Concern is coyote attacks.

I'm a vigilant owner shining a 600 lumen flashlight over their heads in all directions. They never get more than 30 feet from me. No leashes right now. Always within eyeshot.

You folks think a hungry coyote would ignore the flashlight and me and attack one? Or are they real skittish ?

Thanks fur any gut feelings/experiences.

Ug

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 01, 2014 10:07 pm

I never witnessed a coyote attack but you can find some on you tube. Can give some idea of their behaviour. Having four of them I think will make a coyote pause, and when those dogs bark it sounds like German Shepherds.

What I would be most afraid of is the dogs being braver than they have a right to be and attacking the coyote. With you there I kind of doubt a coyote will come near. They do often run in packs though or at least several. Something to make noise like beating on a garbage can cover and maybe having some pepper spray handy. I assume you have seen some in your area?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 01, 2014 10:25 pm

Come on ug, just keep a gun handy & tell the pups not to look like rabbits or woodchucks. ;) Works up this way:)

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Dec. 01, 2014 11:44 pm

Uglysquirrel wrote:Have four doxies going out at night to do their duty before bed. Concern is coyote attacks.

I'm a vigilant owner shining a 600 lumen flashlight over their heads in all directions. They never get more than 30 feet from me. No leashes right now. Always within eyeshot.

You folks think a hungry coyote would ignore the flashlight and me and attack one? Or are they real skittish ?

Thanks fur any gut feelings/experiences.

Ug
==================================================================================================

Coyotes are attackers of opportunity my friend. And having had numerous
sausage dogs face down meter readers and Saint Bernard's they show
no fear, and that will get them into trouble.

If they see no perceived threat coyotes will attack.

Is there any reason why the Mrs. could not go out with you at
the same time?

I would harness them when going out as they will slip collars-been there, done that.

OR you could secure a trolley wire if you have trees nearby limiting their travel to a
linear route for 30 feet or so.

I would double check but I think the pepper spray used for bears shoots farther.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Dec. 02, 2014 7:04 am

The coyotes are usually skittish and run off if a person is nearby, especially individuals or pairs. Larger packs may be more bold.

If they are real desperate for food in a bad winter or if somebody has been leaving food out for them (purposely or inadvertently via outdoor cat food) then their behavior will change.

Lu47Dan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue. Dec. 02, 2014 9:37 am

Pump shotgun load with buckshot, if you have 'yotes around. buy a tactical light that clamps mounts under the barrel. Bear spray not recommended for this situation, as it could hit the dogs and little dogs do not do well when doused with it. Best plan is a couple large wattage Q-H lights illuminating the area and the shotgun.
Dan.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Perhaps if they didn't look like sausages.... :lol:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 02, 2014 4:54 pm

We have a lot of coyotes here along the shoreline, see them in populated areas in broad daylight. We lost two cats to them. Got an 80# dog and haven't seen any around the house in a long time. Fisher cats and black bears yes, but no coyotes.

Return to “Pets”