Pets, Why?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Franco, are you asking why do we have pets?

I think from a more simplistic viewpoint, us humans enjoy "taking care" of things. It's another way for us to feel needed. Also we usually receive a positive response (appreciation) from our pets by doing so which is our reward. It's a social thing too. Many people refer to their pets as "kids".

My dog needs her food dish filled and she's always happy to see me when I come home.. :)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Lightning wrote:Franco, are you asking why do we have pets?

I think from a more simplistic viewpoint, us humans enjoy "taking care" of things. It's another way for us to feel needed. Also we usually receive a positive response (appreciation) from our pets by doing so which is our reward. It's a social thing too. Many people refer to their pets as "kids".

My dog needs her food dish filled and she's always happy to see me when I come home.. :)
Great answer, and you point out it can even involve several dimensions of our emotional behaviour and that much of it is reciprocal on the part of the pet, a feeling of kinship. And kinship there certainly is.

The Science Daily article attempts to explain the origins and why it was beneficial to the survival of early man, things that formed our emotional and behavioral makeup. The study of our kin, the animals can throw a lot of light into the black hole of human behaviour.

The last words of King Arthur were, according to Tennyson in his " Passing of Arthur," " The whole round earth is bound by gold chains about the feet of God". Finding the nature of those chains is incumbent to our survival.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Dogs and man got together for mutual benefit and survival. Dogs were attracted to man for the warmth of their fires and food. Man needed an early warning system for large predators. I'm a certified dog nut. I love my dogs and treat them like family like everyone else. I've had a lot of good dogs and a couple great dogs. My best dog ever could read me like a book. She knew what I was thinking sometimes before I did. miss her to this day.
Riley.jpg
.JPG | 299.8KB | Riley.jpg
Riley. She went with me everywhere. I cried like a baby when I had to put her down.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 9:29 pm

That CK is a fact--last dog I had to put down always knew where my head was. Like Riley, he was my travelin buddy. 120 lbs yellow/chow :)

Attachments

sturgis & odaat eating my hat.jpg
.JPG | 106.8KB | sturgis & odaat eating my hat.jpg
sturgis.jpg
.JPG | 109.3KB | sturgis.jpg

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks Richard.. I just wanted to add also that I've seen stories where a mother of one species took over the duties of caring for the offspring of another species. So, it may not be just limited to humans.

It's interesting that this subject is currently up for discussion since I just watched a show that featured a guy playing with 3 full grown lions on a nature preserve. It turns out he was involved with them when they were kittens. After time had passed, he reunited with the grown lions and they treated him as if if was part of their pride. The camera men stayed in cages so as not to be attacked. I was impressed.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 9:42 pm

In my mind, we're not much different than other mammals. Just a little smarter, usually anyways :lol:

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Well I'm definitely a pet person I had cats growing up(I grew up living in a apartment complex so no dogs) but I met my wife 22 years ago and with her being a dog person we got a dog(Border Collie mix) then I suddenly became a dog person and have never looked back, I do love my cats, I really love my dog and after having to put down the first two due to old age it took some time to ready myself for the third(3 years to be exact) but I love this one the same as the first two and she is part of our family as were the first two.The others are right, she's always happy to see me, cheers me up when I'm down,and never complains :D (my wife needs to take lessons on that one :lol: ) and I like the fact that she's very protective of our daughter. Keepaeyeonit :)

Diggerdan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil forced hot air

Post by Diggerdan » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Put down my dog about 6 months ago 15 year old pit rescue best and loyal dog ever had. Felt like something was missing so

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 141.2KB | image.jpg

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 10:21 am

I really enjoy my dogs. My last dog fell over dead in the yard while we were leaving for a walk. It took me about 8 months to finally pull the trigger for another one. That was almost 9 years ago and we just found out last week that our dogs days are numbered. She has a cancerous mass on her spleen, which will burst and kill her. The cancer is so aggressive that the vet doesn't recommend surgery because the procedure would probably not come out well.
Right now, we are just enjoying the time we do have with her and preparing ourselves for the inevitable. Worse yet, I have to start a job out east (Hershey) and can't bring her with me.
As painful as a loyal pet dying is I know I'll do it again, for the reasons many of you have mentioned in previous posts.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 10:27 am

Doing "The Right Thing" at the end of a Loyal Pup's Time With Us is something that to me,never gets easier. I guess that in the end,trying to enjoy the Time Left is definitely Your Best Play,RD33......We'll Travel With You On This One Anytime....Just Post,and We'll be there......Take Good Care ! :yes:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 11:50 am

I always really liked this one:)

Attachments

IMG_0001.JPG
.JPG | 46.3KB | IMG_0001.JPG

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 12:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:I always really liked this one:)
Man Fred that's a good one !

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Yeah,FFred,whether Ya' Got A Heart Or Not,That Wallhanger Sez It All !! :up:

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Wow FFred, that sums it all up.
HB you got it, we are enjoying our time with her and making it count!

Return to “Pets”