Horses, Colic

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 8:42 am

What a week had a sick daughter Thursday and Friday. Horse developed colic so we have been dealing with that. Had the vet out pumped stomach with water and mineral oil. ( Long hose down through the nostril to the stomach ) Lots of walking. My back is killing me. We gave him some mashed beet pulp with lots of water trying to get him better hydrated. Not a fun filled weekend.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 8:49 am

Yep, that colic sux Dave. Tie her to a 4 wheeler/ lawn mower--8N--whatever :) Go easy on that beet pulp-- you got them fancy horses like coalnewbie or just them beat up quarter horses like mine? ;)

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 8:54 am

freetown fred wrote:Yep, that colic sux Dave. Tie her to a 4 wheeler/ lawn mower--8N--whatever :) Go easy on that beet pulp-- you got them fancy horses like coalnewbie or just them beat up quarter horses like mine? ;)
J.P. is a retired Standardbred. I nicknamed him Marmaduke. I had him since 05 he has colic twice this year , never before.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 8:58 am

Got anything new/ weird coming up in the pasture?? It's been nothing but a lot of strange weeds w/ the dry & then much wet.I had a mare that loved her milk thistle & came real close to colicin. I bush hog'd the crap. None of the other horses would touch it.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 9:13 am

freetown fred wrote:Got anything new/ weird coming up in the pasture?? It's been nothing but a lot of strange weeds w/ the dry & then much wet.I had a mare that loved her milk thistle & came real close to colicin. I bush hog'd the crap. None of the other horses would touch it.
I didn't see anything new. I was hoping on redoing the pasture this year but my 2nd pasture is actually on the neighbors and they had a pipeline go through this year.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 10:53 am

I hope Marmaduke feels better soon. Colic is no fun & can go from "concern" to "scary" way quicker than we like. Keep walking!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 11:13 am

Yes, often a change of weather does it and this time of year is the worst. A little repeat Banamine keeps them feeling better. If you think a horse is going to colic, Banamine IV immediately preferably or IM if you do not have the skills. Some vets do not allow that one as they have to keep up the private plane payments you know like my stove supplier. If it happens again like freddy says keep them walking never let them go down until the vet turns up. Me having fancy horses? What is a horse worth - the price of dog meat plus whatever Someone is prepared to pay.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 4:54 pm

He seems to have passed the blockage. He hardly went today and seemed to be getting more uncomfortable so I called the vet to come out again. I gave him the banimine already about 2hrs earlier. Since I had to wait for the vet anyway I went and borrowed a friends trailer. I know how much he would go and make a mess whenever I trailered him in the past so I figured, what do I have to lose. It has been a while since he has gone anywhere so it took a little while to get him in. I wasn't in a big hurry because he was already getting that nervous look. He finally dropped a few like big pellets but softer than I have seen since Friday. Got him in the trailer and off we went. Get back about 20 mins later and quite a bit came out. The vet was there so he received another dose of the tube to the belly. He was sedated so I had to wait about an hr before walking him go back to the stall and I looks like he is out of the woods. So next time someone rides with me and says I am scaring the crap out of them I will be more careful because I wouldn't want that in my truck. :D
Looks like JP will live to ride another day. Thanks for the support. I was getting pretty worried since this has been going on since Friday. I was also trying not to let on to my wife how nervous I was for him.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Nice Dave. Good thinkin on that one. :)

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Yea cant say I have ever been this exited about horse Crap. If only it were this easy to get Washington to move with all their crap.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 1:25 pm

The patient seems fine today. Now for the slow introduction to hay. This weather sucks not cold enough to make him drink not hot enough to make him drink. I will just have to watch him better. He filled the stall last night.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Nice, keep us/me (LOL) updated. Be good to wet the hay for a while.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 3:28 pm

He filled the stall last night.
There you go .....

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Jun. 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Update, JP has moved on to greener pastures. I have not been able to keep weight on him lately today he had a case of severe colic. Yesterday he was fine. I called the vet and told her to come prepared it did not look good. She got there and we felt he was really in pain 160 heart beat. And the best was to put him down.
Sounds strange but he was a good friend and a terrific horse and will be really missed. My daughter drew a really nice pic to be buried with him and we all got to say our goodbyes. RIP JP
misc2 004web.jpg
.JPG | 27.6KB | misc2 004web.jpg

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. Jun. 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear that Flyer, heck I had a hard time when they had to put my neighbors horse down it's never easy. As you said he's in greener pastures & running pain free now.

Return to “Pets”