Make Sure You Have Those Collars Snug

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Aug. 18, 2012 9:51 am

I haven't mentioned it but we got a new puppy a few weeks ago. The two dogs get along really well and play frequently, they are either napping together or it's like the WWF. I've always made sure collars were snug because I was aware of the choking hazard but the collar on the puppy was too loose and somehow it got looped around the older dogs bottom jaw like it was in a figure 8. One loop on the jaw and one loop on the puppies neck. Of course the puppy is howling and the big dog was panicked dragging her around trying to get away. Fortunately we were able to get it off really quick, if they were here alone the puppy would probably be dead because it was really tight and she was having an obvious problem breathing.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Aug. 18, 2012 9:56 am

I thought you were going to talk about collars on stove pipe stacks :!:

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Aug. 18, 2012 10:05 am

The logic is that it is very important to keep the collars snug on whatever you are working with....or something bad can happen....Actually, Dann, Richard was upset because he can't be downeast to enjoy the blueberry festival! Nice day; no humidity for a change, slightly cooler.....and yes, lots of talk about fuel for the winta! Where is the summer going? Poof, and Freddie will be back to get ready to fire-up the beast. :D :idea: :!:

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Aug. 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Richard your right, I have had the exact same thing happen to my new dog & my sister-in-laws dog, clad that we were around as well.

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sat. Aug. 18, 2012 2:01 pm

This is why our dog doesn't wear a collar ;)

Eric

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sat. Aug. 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Dann757 wrote:I thought you were going to talk about collars on stove pipe stacks :!:
Or politicians. :) :lol:

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 03, 2020 6:12 pm

I quit using collars when I had to start tying my dog up. I use a harness. Best thing I ever did. No chance if the dog slipping out or choking.

When I was about 10 we got home from a trip. I couldn’t wait to see my dog. We kept her tied to an apple tree. She was no where to be seen. The neighbor was caring for her while we were gone. He showed up shortly after we pulled in and was telling my parents something. My mother burst into tears and my dad came and told me “Brandy “ was dead. Apparently a guy down the road decided to come into our back yard and shoot gophers. Brandy was terrified of guns. She had climbed up the apple tree and over a branch and hung herself. To this day they won’t tell me who that man was. It’s a good thing for him.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Feb. 03, 2020 7:28 pm

man alive, some of us here have been thru some schiza is our time but THAT would be hard for any one much less a boy.

your folks did the right thing though. that kind of despair and rage could have put you in a terrible world of hurt.
grown ups never see it coming from kids but the law sure knows where to find ya.

do your folks have a neighbor that don't come around or look your way from about that time or, is there a fella from the old neighborhood that went to drinking and never come out of it ?

pray for that guy, he may still be in more misery than you.

all the best,
steve

Return to “Pets”