Housebreaking

Bunky

Post by Bunky » Sat. Feb. 12, 2005 8:22 am

I would totally love it if anyone has any tips how to housebrake a male pup as I've had trouble in the past getting this done (w/females) & was hoping to do it right this time! Thanks!!!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Feb. 13, 2005 12:19 am

Well Bunky I had great luck with my last dog it only took about a week but I was there the entire time. First thing is don't use newspaper, they get the idea that it's ok to go on the newspaper instead of outside. If you watch them you can usually tell when there looking for a place to go, I frequently took the dog outside just so she didn't have a chance to go inside. Of course your going to have accidents, a firm no is usually good enough. They say dogs are well aware of your emotions and I firmly believe that.

Which brings up another point about training, keep the commands as short as possible. Sit, come, heal.... Repitition when there small is the key. I had my dog trained enough within a 2 months....she even knew the command to fall over and play dead. :) BTW one of the biggest mistakes I've seen people make :oops: is let the dog bite at peoples ankles. It's fun and games when they are puppies but it's best not to let it start.

She was very smart, your mileage will vary.

Bunky

Post by Bunky » Mon. Feb. 14, 2005 11:37 am

Thanks for the tips! I needed them big time. I didn't give the ankle nibble a thought but now that you brought it up, I see how it'll be a problem as it grows larger. Thanks again!!!

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 9:36 pm

I put the new ones out on a consistent basis especially when they get up, after eating and before bed. When they piss outside I say good boy, pet them and say "good boy, PP", after a while you can ask them if they want to go PP and they run to the door unless the dog has like O electrons floating around, I have Dauchunds and they are not the sharpest tools in the shed though it works for them. Gotta put in some time.

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 10:08 pm

I agree with the above posts but I also crate train all my dogs...I've had s many as 5 at one time and currently have 3....all the pups get used to the crate and actually love it...it's their den and it is a good safe place for them. My dogs wander in and out of the crate when the gate is open....sometimes 2 at once.....
Check this out.....
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Nov. 05, 2009 2:52 am

Take them out often. Give praise for job done, as it's done. Do not scold for mistakes in the house unless you witness the act, and during the act. If you find a puddle that's ten seconds old, it's too late to say anything. Every mistake in the house is the human's fault. For pups, one to two hours is about the max. Each month of age will add an hour to bladder control.

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Fri. Nov. 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Consistancy is key. Try to make sure he goes out at/near the same time everyday. Praise well for a job well done!!

Bunky

Post by Bunky » Sun. May. 06, 2012 10:37 pm

bear creek burnout wrote:I agree with the above posts but I also crate train all my dogs...I've had s many as 5 at one time and currently have 3....all the pups get used to the crate and actually love it...it's their den and it is a good safe place for them. My dogs wander in and out of the crate when the gate is open....sometimes 2 at once.....
Check this out.....
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
Excellent website bear creek!
And thank you to those that offered advice on this difficult situation... Yes! The crate training works the best. Though I must add I hadn't known it needs to be small enough not large enough for the dog until I ran through the whole 'crap' with the pit mix & our Sheppard actually going in the cage... So for future reference for any new folks reading this thread- if there's enough room for the dog to lay down in one spot & relieve itself in another it's too big a crate. Was told there are ones that expand with the dog? Wouldn't work on a large breed I assume from what mine did to her crate but that sounds like the best bet. Yay for pets

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. May. 07, 2012 8:15 am

I can't agree with all the advice, a Sheppard should train quickly if you can take it out often. With my newest dog, Lab-Border Collie-Bird Dog mix, depending on which vet we see, he is the first I ever crate trained & the easiest. As it was said now it is his spot if he wants he goes there on his own, I should take the door off but he will actually pull it part way shut, best of luck, there's always room for another.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Mon. May. 07, 2012 8:35 am

as soon as they wake up from a nap, get them out right away, think about it, what wakes u up????

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. May. 07, 2012 8:46 am

samhill wrote:I can't agree with all the advice, a Sheppard should train quickly if you can take it out often.
That's the key. The newest dog took even less than the week than the other dog did. I was after her constantly. She pooped in the old house maybe twice, peed in it maybe half a dozen times. She never had a chance to go in the house and after about the first week I was able to relax a little and let her alone. She don't even take a dump in the yard and since we've been at this house for almost two years I've seen her poop twice. She goes up in the woods somewhere.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. May. 07, 2012 11:59 am

Freddy wrote:Take them out often. Give praise for job done, as it's done. Do not scold for mistakes in the house unless you witness the act, and during the act.
:up:

Bunky

Post by Bunky » Mon. May. 07, 2012 3:31 pm

My crate has long since been destroyed by my dog but she did lay in there when the door was open & had no trouble going in. Staying there was the hard part. She now has a carpet where it used to be since she is so comfortable w/that 'spot'. I will take the advice do not scold unless caught in the act as I still come home to accidents about once a month or so & the fact that it'd create another mess if I yelled @her. Glandular issues of course are another topic as nasty as the last. Mr Mayor you're a lucky nut... Now how'd you teach your dog to crap in the woods? There's a FEW massive piles per day right here by the sidewalk.

Return to “Pets”