Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA) - OHV Riding

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Nov. 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Just found this in a newsletter I get from AARA (Americans for Responsible Recreational Access). Nice to see an addition to the Hatfield-McCoy area in neighboring W.Virginia. 8-)
OHV Recreation is Good for the Economy
We have written before on how the Hatfield-McCoy OHV Trail System in West Virginia is contributing to the economic revival of that part of the state. Well, the anthracite coal region in eastern Pennsylvania has taken note and efforts have in recent years have resulted in the creation of another OHV riding area. Called the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA), this riding area encompasses more than 7,000 acres with hundreds of miles of trails for OHV recreation. To learn more about their actual location and hours of operation, you might want to check out their website: http://www.aoaatrails.com.
Might have to check this place out one of these days. I still haven't made it to H/McC yet. I've only been talking about it for the past 10 years. I'll get there eventually ... even if it's in a Hoveround. :D

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Nov. 04, 2016 3:22 pm

This place is not too far from where many of the meet & greets have been :idea: you could make a nice mini vacation down in PA.

We rode these areas years ago when it was free (and maybe illegal) When these pay to ride parks came in and posted everything most of us sold our quads because we were not going to pay for what was free, and we were getting a little too old.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 7:21 pm

SMITTY wrote:Just found this in a newsletter I get from AARA (Americans for Responsible Recreational Access). Nice to see an addition to the Hatfield-McCoy area in neighboring W.Virginia. 8-)
OHV Recreation is Good for the Economy
We have written before on how the Hatfield-McCoy OHV Trail System in West Virginia is contributing to the economic revival of that part of the state. Well, the anthracite coal region in eastern Pennsylvania has taken note and efforts have in recent years have resulted in the creation of another OHV riding area. Called the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA), this riding area encompasses more than 7,000 acres with hundreds of miles of trails for OHV recreation. To learn more about their actual location and hours of operation, you might want to check out their website: http://www.aoaatrails.com.
Might have to check this place out one of these days. I still haven't made it to H/McC yet. I've only been talking about it for the past 10 years. I'll get there eventually ... even if it's in a Hoveround. :D
Hey Smitty I see its an old thread. If you ever get down this way I wouldn't mind checking that place out as well. I have my Polaris UTV. I just need an excuse.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Count me in! I have my ATV down here now and I could meet my brother from Upstate NY...Lets get a bunch going!

Kevin

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 9:52 am

Been to Hatfield and McCoys several times. It's a great time! First did it on a sport quad.... That's when I realized I'm getting too old for the sport quad abuse! Went and bought a nice comfy SxS Can Am Commander (doors, windshield, comfy seat, radio, Fox suspension, and a 1000cc 85HP rocket of engine!) 150 miles in a weekend and I can still walk after now!!

I've had some friends ride AOAA when they were putting it together but haven't heard much since.

I used to take my Jeep to Paragon Park before it closed. I used to go to Rausch Creek in the Jeep many times a year too (got engaged on Crawler Ridge!) Haven't been out there in a couple years but I see a trip happening this year.

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”