NYC Trip

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 9:07 pm

going down to NYC, Brooklyn/queens area to visit Lynda's gran son Alex. Hes a student at NYU. Friday do campus jaunt, saturday into the big apple do Rockerfeller center, radio music hall christmas show, Top of The Rock, and hopefully 911 memorial. What else all depends on time. Definitely want to get some GOOD NY pizza, and chinese food. Cars packed. ready to go!!!!

scoobydoo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer LE top vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by scoobydoo » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Try some bagels.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 9:14 pm

I love Rays on 53th and 7th, one of many Rays, the Stage deli is across the street too, check that out if you can..

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 9:18 pm

wilder11354 wrote:Definitely want to get some GOOD NY pizza
Hey! what's wrong with Old Forge? It's a shorter drive than NYC :) :P

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Sorry, I just saw the date on this post. I hope you see this.

Hi,

I suggest you make a list of what you what to see (every place has a webpage) and think about how you are going to get there; subway, bus, taxi? Places like the Statue of Liberty and maybe the 911 Memorial require a ticket but they are/were free off line. Request them as soon as possible. Once you've done that pull up the NYC transit map and become familiar with the routes you'll need to take. That way you won't look like you just fell off the turnip truck. It will also give you the heads up on the cost of mass transit. They have several different fare cards that can save you big bucks. Most fare cards are good on the buses, too. I do know that you cannot buy more then 2 fare cards per day on the same credit card so plan on that. That's because people steal cards and buy fare cards to sell on the black market.

If you want to see a show check out the TKY booth on Times Square, you can get great same day prices. The theaters will discount unsold tickets there at 11:30 or so. The line forms early. Go to Broadway.com and see what shows are playing, then go to the TKY and see if any of your choices are available at discounts. You can also check at the box offices, they often have last minute tickets at great prices. If you are a military retiree, check out the USO at the Port Authority for discounted or free tickets. You will need to pre-purchase your Radio City Rocketts tickets before you get there because they will be sold out.

For pizza check out John's Pizzeria on West 44th Street. That's right off Times Square. It's one of my favorites. For Chinese check Mr Tangs in Chinatown on Mott Street. Both of those places have websites and may have coupons available on line. Another favorite is Dillon's Candy bar up at 1011 Third Ave, 60th St. You'll find candy's you never thought you'd see.

New York is a lot of fun. You'll have a great time. Lisa

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 6:32 pm

grumpy wrote:I love Rays on 53th and 7th, one of many Rays, the Stage deli is across the street too, check that out if you can..
"Famous Ray's?"

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Daughter coming home Saturday for Christmas,she is in grad school.We will be driving her back to Astoria around the 3rd of January. 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Albany, traffic gets a little intense once you start crossing the bridges. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Kevin

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 7:12 pm

"Famous Ray's?"
I'm not sure, there is Famous Rays, Rays, Original Rays, Rays brother, sister and aunt. There must be 5000 Rays Pizzas in NYC... some good some not so good.. :D No its all good..love NY pizza..

ETA..

I looked, yes it is...

SheepDog68
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Harmony Nut, Lehigh Nut
Other Heating: Happy thoughts, good wool and a little propane.

Post by SheepDog68 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 8:10 pm

Just got back!

Left the truck in Harrisburg and rode the Keystone over. With 10-12 trains a day you have lots of flexibility.

I've driven, flown ect and find I like the train best!

Free parking at the hotel close to the station and the train runs you right in to Penn Station where you can catch a subway anywhere you want.

$50 for the train ride and $30 for a weeks worth of subways seems a good deal compared to some of the other ways I've done it.

We can leave the office after work on Thursday and still get to the hotel early enough to get some sleep. Less of course if we ride over on the 5 am train, but that still gets us anywhere we are going by 9:15-9:30 am.

SD

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 8:29 pm

2001Sierra wrote:Daughter coming home Saturday for Christmas,she is in grad school.We will be driving her back to Astoria around the 3rd of January. 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Albany, traffic gets a little intense once you start crossing the bridges. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Kevin
Astoria is where all the good Greek food is, Opa!

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”