Historic Boston and Concord.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Aug. 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Hello fellow patriots:

We just came back from a mini-vacation to Boston, Concord and Lexington. The kids are going back to school Wednesday so this seemed appropriate.

Boston was nice, not too busy for being a Friday. We walked Freedom Trail mostly but enjoyed taking the City View Trolley tour around the city and across the river to Bunker Hill. The trolley gave us a sense of direction and more orderly approach to our tour of the city. The USS Constitution was not open to the public but the museum was. The gravesites of John Hancock, Samuel Adams, Robert Paine and Paul Revere are all together in the Old Granary cemetery. The first three men were all signers of the Declaration of Independence. The story goes that grave robbers had dug up poor John Hancock (the richest man in Boston) shortly after he died and cut off the hand he signed the Declaration with. On top of that injustice, workmen likely disposed of his body a few years later.

The best part of the trip was actually Concord and Lexington. To physically walk where the British and Minutemen had fought and died was quite interesting. The National Park Service has done a great job preserving what remains of the historical locations which includes the road itself and the homes. In contrast, Boston has few original buildings and much of Boston harbor was filled in over the years to enlarge the city.

I'll be posting pictures tonight when I get home.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Aug. 25, 2014 10:48 pm

It sounds like the kids got a good history lesson. Much of the real history was shrouded in churches where the true rebel rousers met. Fanuel hall is a tourist trap but it is full of history and so is most of sights along the freedom trail. Off the beatin' path is full of great architecture specifically Beacon Hill, the North End, and Copley sq. I wish you posted your plans before you headed out...maybe next time. :)

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Aug. 26, 2014 7:02 am

Earth

I would have been happy to show you around Beantown! Glad you enjoyed the place!

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Aug. 26, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks guys!

I think my biggest disappointment was the food. We were looking for a quick bite when we first arrived and went to Quincy Market. I'm sure sorry that I missed out on some great food! I was actually going to ask the trolley driver.

Next time I will post here before we go anywhere.

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”