Loudon NH

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 8:23 pm

Well the boss(GF) and I have decided we are over due for a longer getaway. So coming september we will be going to new hampshire, loudon-laconia area for place to snooze while we travel around for 5 days and do the tourist gig. Two definite things we will do are 1. NASCAR first race of the chase and 2. take the cog train up to top of Mt washington. If we get there on a weekday for early AM run its supposed to be a steam locomotive. other than that its be lazy, another rail excursion up thru lake regions... probably the dinner run late afternoon/early evening. Anyone up in that neck of woods, we welcome suggestions as to whats nice and cool up that area to do.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 9:22 am

Depends on what your schedule is, Race @ the beginning or end of your trip?

If it doesn't matter, I'd start at Lincoln and take the Kangamangus to N.Conway and head up to the North Country to Mt. Washington. Then work your way back down for race day and then back home.

Or stay on 93....their are cool of places to check out in Franconia Notch area, then go past Cannon Mt. take rt 302 (or rt 3) up to Twin Mt. past Bretton Woods and then Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch and on to Mt. Washington as well.

If I didn't have to care for my parents I'd be living in NH by now. :(

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 10:32 am

Ed.A wrote:Depends on what your schedule is, Race @ the beginning or end of your trip?

If it doesn't matter, I'd start at Lincoln and take the Kangamangus to N.Conway and head up to the North Country to Mt. Washington. Then work your way back down for race day and then back home.

Or stay on 93....their are cool of places to check out in Franconia Notch area, then go past Cannon Mt. take rt 302 (or rt 3) up to Twin Mt. past Bretton Woods and then Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch and on to Mt. Washington as well.

If I didn't have to care for my parents I'd be living in NH by now. :(
Beleive the Kancamaugus highway is a seasonal road and not plowed/maintained in the winter. It may be closed so if you want to get to the other side of the state to North Conway, the second route past bretton woods and down pinkham notch is what you will need.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 11:38 am

Joe, they are visiting in September.....nothing seasonal will be closed...not even the ice cream shops. That stress about the Oil/proPAIN, NG must have fogged your glasses.
Forgot the Electric Boilers. Good plan in the state with nearly the highest electric rates in the country.......but EL is 100% efficient.

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 12:33 pm

whistlenut wrote:Joe, they are visiting in September.....nothing seasonal will be closed...not even the ice cream shops. That stress about the Oil/proPAIN, NG must have fogged your glasses.
Forgot the Electric Boilers. Good plan in the state with nearly the highest electric rates in the country.......but EL is 100% efficient.
:!: Doh, I didnt catch the september part. I was assuming they are visiting now in the dead of winter!

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Just pointing it out, not being a dickhead. I thought you might have seen a neighbors proPAIN bill and nearly 'stroked out'. Move carefully forward on that front. Apts are tough, but the ones I created in 1977, all 12 of them still burn with an on-site manage and two AA 260's and a 130 just for kicks.

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 1:05 pm

whistlenut wrote:Just pointing it out, not being a dickhead. I thought you might have seen a neighbors proPAIN bill and nearly 'stroked out'. Move carefully forward on that front. Apts are tough, but the ones I created in 1977, all 12 of them still burn with an on-site manage and two AA 260's and a 130 just for kicks.
:P Haha no offense taken. Believe me I'd love to put coal in but I'd like to install it in my own place before I make it the heating choice of an investment. There is a learning curve which I'd like to master first. Plus I work full time and need a more automated solution so for right now it has to be either oil or propane. Am I reading that right: is that a 12 unit building with 2 AA260s and 1 AA130? Thats some serious BTUs...

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 1:15 pm

3 Buildings actually, over 13,000 sq.ft. Try that with your damned pellet boilers boys. You would have to line up 6 tt's and hope it didn't rain during transfer.....and the mice weren't hungry.....and the humidity was well controlled......and the pellets were OK, otherwise you would have some expensive animal bedding now wouldn't you?!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 2:48 pm

I heard they recently retired the tried-and-true steam engine for the tree-squeezer-pleasing diesel. :x

I haven't been up there in years, so I can't confirm that 100% ... but if I'm gonna pay that exorbitant rate to ride on the cog, it damn well better be powered by something from the 1800's ... but that's just me. ;)

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 10:49 pm

The highway is open year round...
They do close it during a bad storm but it is soon opened...
Trust me it is a great ride even in the winter...
Friend has a ski house up north...
There is a very long down slope that you can hit triple digits on...
But a very sharp turn at the bottom...
Must have good brakes... ;)
http://www.kancamagushighway.com/closures.htm

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 8:58 am

CapeCoaler wrote:The highway is open year round...
They do close it during a bad storm but it is soon opened...
Trust me it is a great ride even in the winter...
Friend has a ski house up north...
There is a very long down slope that you can hit triple digits on...
But a very sharp turn at the bottom...
Must have good brakes... ;)
http://www.kancamagushighway.com/closures.htm
I know exactly where you're talking about...Didn't hit triple digits , but my old '09 Mini-S Turbo handled the twisties like it was on rails. Hate slow drivers on that road, stops lot of the fun.

And yes, open year round. Been on it with plenty of snow crossing over to N.Conway.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Wed. Jan. 08, 2014 10:45 am

Where to start. I like railroads so I guess there.
1) North Conway Scenic RR. They still have 1 steam engine. Don't know when they use could find out for you. Dinner train avail.
2) Hobo RR. Lincoln, NH. Highly recommend. Personal friend. Also home of Boston and Maine Flying Yankee. Vintage Alco's s2, s3. Also use budd cars for passenger coaches. Some old interurban cars used for coaches also. Dinner train avail.
3) Winnipesaukee Scenic. Same as above. Located Merideth, NH.
4) Cog railway. Haven't been in years be ready to pay. Don't know if they still run steam.
Non railroad.
1) Heritage, NH across from StoryLand. Glen, NH. Good museum documenting American History.
Weirs Beach. Drive in movie theater across from Welcome to the Weirs sign.
Hart's Turkey Farm Restuarant. Merideth, NH
Numerous scenic drives. Kangamangus (rte. 112) pretty road.
Could go all day. Let me know if you want more. Great state for motorcycles.
Enjoy your trip. Matt

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Wed. Jan. 08, 2014 10:50 am

And I forgot Hampton Beach. Rte. 1a through Hampton, N. Hampton, Rye, Portsmouth really nice road along the ocean. I go home through the beach when on the motorcycle. Nice ride in any vehicle though. Matt

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 10:32 pm

Hell I'd be happy just to be able meet Whistlenut in person !!!!!!!

And personally hand him a # 24 Axalta hat........ but that's just me. :evil: :funny:

Rick

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Picking on me.....WTF!!! Mike knows the hot spots and one that everyone seems to like is the Winnipesaukee Tour boat. You get to see one of the premier lakes in the Northeast, have a snack, or dinner if you want, and listen as the tour is narrated. If the kids are tooooo big a PITA, you can toss them out in the Narrows and pick them up on the way back from Alton. Concerts at 'Meadow-Woods' are EXCELLENT......as you enjoy the activity on the lake right in front of you, and as they said it is beautiful riding or driving just about everywhere. It isn't Texas, but here, if you speak a little French it can be helpful. Lots of 'eye candy' at the lakes and ocean beaches...especially the near naked French women. Better fill the cooler with ice to dunk your head into if it gets too bad. By the way, Hampton Beach isn't the only beach available, just keep driving up the coast a couple miles and enjoy State Beach in Rye or others at Odiorne Point(http://www.seacoastsciencecenter.org/visit_today/ ... _point.php)(Audabon Society Facility) where you can visit an old Fort from WW2 and a view of lobstermen, yachts and a nukie or two in Portsmouth harbor. on the Kittery side. Not to short Maine, but there are extraordinary sights along the highways and byways of Maine and it's coast...and inland. I forget the many fine places to snack or get riverside food or harbor Restaurants...specialty Ice Cream Shops...more later.....

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”