Loudon NH

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sat. Mar. 15, 2014 11:18 pm

: DePippo79 the railrides/dinners is something we are looking to do, plus the dinner cruise on lake winniepauske... will be renting a cabin on a lake for a week. for us. So far beleive there will be lots to do and see. Wanted cabin so we can cook in if we'd like instaed of eating out every meal for a week.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 3:32 am

No experience with the dinner cruise, but if you want to take a ride around Lake Winnipesaukee during the day there's also the mail boat. Can't remember the name, but they do tourist rides and drop the mail off to all the islands in the lake. Enjoy your trip. Can't wait for the nice weather so I can get the Sporty out and go visit my friends up there. It's been a long winter. Matt

Edit: Only brought up the mail boat because it's a little cheaper than the MS Mt. Washington and probably a more scenic ride.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 12:37 pm

The NASCAR experience is just ONE of the adventures...only 6 miles to the boats, train, concerts.........Harley Shop next to Hart's Turkey Farm Rest....and that is only Laconia/Meridith side of the lake.. Plenty to see and do north, south, east and west. Maine isn't very far either......great for families, honeymoons, a place to take your special friends.......Eating out is a great experience also. It would only be fair to mention the multitude of adventures at the coast of NH and Maine, and certainly all the things the Mt Washington Valley has to offer. A clear day view from Mt Washington out over Portland, ME is a real treat. Riding or driving the auto road is an experience you owe it to yourself to do once in a lifetime. I can assure you that if it is 'Local Character' your desire, there are PLENTY of 'Loco Characters'. who AREN'T 'puttin' it on for the tourists.
Sometimes many of us wonder just where the hell these folks come from, as well. Must have been a space craft crashed with a load of WEST VIRGINNY CAPTIVES........

“Majestic 21 mile long lake with over 250 islands - stunning” 5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013
This is an exceptionally beautiful lake definitely worth visiting. Stay at either Wolfeborough - historical, upmarket, pretty town at one end or Weirs Beach at the other, more touristy and with the largest beach. We went on the Winnipesaukee Belle for a tour around part of the lake, viewing the areas where the movie "On Golden Pond" was shot, houses...

“A Heavenly Lake!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013
Where do I start? Well, this is not your "ordinary" lake. This is by far the dreamiest lake I have ever been to!! My husband and children had been before and it was my first time. I have always been anti swim in any lake. I didn't even bring my bathing suit which was a Big mistake! We went to...

“Majestic 21 mile long lake with over 250 islands - stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013
This is an exceptionally beautiful lake definitely worth visiting. Stay at either Wolfeborough - historical, upmarket, pretty town at one end or Weirs Beach at the other, more touristy and with the largest beach. We went on the Winnipesaukee Belle for a tour around part of the lake, viewing the areas where the movie "On Golden Pond" was shot, houses...

“Fabulous, huge, clear water lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013
The lake is beautiful and clear. So nice to see the bottom of the lake even when it's fairly deep. Chilly though! We stayed at Church Landing at Mill Falls in Meredith which was terrifc. We took the scenic 2 hour boat ride on the Doris which is a sister to the large Mt. Washington boat trip. Very nice tour...

“Must be experienced on the water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013
While you can drive around the lake and see some beautiful views, we found it best to experience Lake Winnipesaukee in a kayak. We reserved 3 2-man kayaks from Wild Meadow Canoe and Kayak in Center Harbor. We arrived at 9 am and everything was set out and ready for us. After some instructions we set out. It was a...

Ranked #1 of 6 attractions in Moultonborough
4.5 of 5 stars 154 Reviews
Type: Architectural Buildings
Traveler Description: The Castle is a turn-of-the-century Arts & Crafts mansion built on a 5,500-acre estate by Thomas Plant, a shoe manufacturing tycoon. At one..

“Great dinner train”
5 of 5 starsReviewed October 12, 2013
We took the evening train that served the Harts traditional turkey dinner. It was awesome, they served and carved the turkey right at your table. Beautiful views of Lake Winnipesaukee. Would recommend sitting on the left side of the train which is the one that is riverside for the whole trip.

“The most beautiful lake I have ever seen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013
Lake Winnipesaukee should belong in the top 10 NH attractions. It is NH's largest lake covering 72 square miles of crystal clear water and surrounded by mountain ranges. The scenery is spectacular and the lake is perfect for all kinds of water sports. There are quiet coves for swimming, canoeing and kayaking and open water for jet skis and fast boats. It is dotted with islands of all sizes with large mansions to small cottages. It is truly one of the best vacation spots in the country and a wonderful place to live as well. There are lots of things to do in the area and several boat trips available for those who don't have their own. We have spent our summers in NH's Lakes Region for years and now we are lucky enough to live here!

“MS Mount Washington - Lake Winnipesaukee Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012
We were in the Weirs Beach area on a three-day getaway in mid October when pretty much was closed down. We picked the brochure at the Weirs Beach pier about the lake cruise. It was a spectacular day, sunny, clean and warm and the lake was as smooth as glass. The MS Mount Washington was huge, by lake standards, and had all the amenities you needed, including clean restrooms, food, and beverages. There was a description of the interesting points of interest coming over the PA system, just often enough to keep interest. Definitely worth the time and price.

Visited October 2012

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Sep. 15, 2014 10:10 pm

We're off in AM to New Hampshire, cars loaded...i put my foot down to bringin the kitchen sink..Gezzz!! got cog tickets, wednesday will drive down to merrideth to see about rail rides by lakeand best starting place weirs or merrideth. Dinner cruise on winniepasauke tickets will be gotten tuesday, willl probably drive up mt washington day before cog ride... hopefully woodlands up there are changing for autumn some. Definitely will look for hahns? turkey farm for a dinner.

Will also get a chance to see how good the fuel mileage is on new Passat diesel on interstates. Hoping to go the 330 miles on just a little less than half tank of fuel.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 7:16 am

wilder11354 wrote:We're off in AM to New Hampshire, cars loaded...i put my foot down to bringin the kitchen sink..Gezzz!! got cog tickets, wednesday will drive down to merrideth to see about rail rides by lakeand best starting place weirs or merrideth. Dinner cruise on winniepasauke tickets will be gotten tuesday, willl probably drive up mt washington day before cog ride... hopefully woodlands up there are changing for autumn some. Definitely will look for hahns? turkey farm for a dinner.

Will also get a chance to see how good the fuel mileage is on new Passat diesel on interstates. Hoping to go the 330 miles on just a little less than half tank of fuel.
I can recommend Guisuppies in Merideth ( Mils Falls Shoppes Building) awesome food, good prices. Just got back last Thursday from the Lake. Enjoy.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 8:10 am

wilder,
The Fall foliage is just getting started. It should be pretty good north of the lake, with night temps in the 30's, and high 20's in a few places. Bring warm clothes!
Hart's is the turkey farm restaurant, at the junction of Rte #3 and Rte#104, in Meredith.
My daughter, in Florida, has a VW diesel that gets 52MPG on the highway. But, no hills in Florida. Gas and fuel prices here in southern N.H. are up and down, like a yoyo. Diesel running $3.75-$3.90 gal.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Cheers

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 9:35 am

Careful driving through MA! Both hands on the wheel, look straight ahead - don't flinch! Don't sneeze, and use your turn signal .... or the long arm of the MA gestapo will extort from you! ;)

If it were me, I'd take the long way and avoid MA altogether .... but then your in NY. What a conundrum .... :o

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Smitty, you did NOT mention the obligatory 'Body Cavity Search'. I was told they are still looking for Hoffa, but that tale is kinda long in the tooth. You know they just LUV it don't they. Perhaps they think the PA plates indicate an 'outreach smuggling operation' for Anthracite.
34 On top of the Rock this AM......wilder will freeze his butt trying to see Portland and the Atlantic...especially with a 85 knot cross wind. He will learn......the hard way.
At least it will be better for race weekend.....motorhomes are already passing through......gas is 3.39, diesel 3.69........let the good times roll!!!
Lake temp was 64 this AM. Lobsters are hiding out from all the murderers snatching them up for the weekend.

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 8:28 pm

I drove conservatively...cruise set at 67mph. MPG average coming up, per vehicle MFI 49.8 mpg. after sitting around with sis n bro n law for a few hours, supply run to market and a somewhat what when where plan went to Harts for diner. Had a dish I knew I would like turkey liver W/onions, mushrooms, mash potatoes. all for now back out to porch listen for the loon(s) calling on lake.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 8:34 pm

There's democrats on that lake? OH ... THOSE loons ... ooops! toothy

Love NH. I go there often to stockpile tax-free durable goods, cigarettes, & liquor. Only thing I don't like is the 8% meals tax .... but I bring a cooler. :D

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Wilder. Enjoy your time off. that sounds like an awesome trip. I have been trying to get my wife to go up to the new england states for a fall journey for years now but she hasn't quite wanted to go yet! we'll get there I hope eventually. She likes the eastern shore too much in the summer and uses most of her vacation to go to the beaches...

oh well again have fun enjoy the time off. Passat Diesel W00t! aweomse

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 10:07 am

If Wilder isn't frozen to a toilet seat someplace he should be having a great time. Chilly AM and overnight temps, 65 in the daytime. Friday might get to 55, so those hemorrhoids on the aluminum benches won't be happy. The weekend is perfect, 72 degrees and 50 in the AM. Water temps are 62, so if you are cold from the air, just bail into the lake for a few hours.

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”