Auto Train

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Has anyone here used the auto train. We are going to Fla next month and was thinking about going via train. The price with vehicle is close to what it would cost us in fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle. If you figure 50cents /mile .

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 3:33 pm

can't beat that price and you get to see the country without any traffic jams or break downs

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Dennis wrote:can't beat that price and you get to see the country without any traffic jams or break downs
Thanks. Looks like I may try it. 17hrs at least will be on the train so if I fall asleep I won't have to worry about being in a ditch. But I will be driving home though.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Well worth the money and it only takes a little longer. You arrive in Fla. ready to vacation, not beat from the 18+ hour drive.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Any reason not to fly ? Can't beat the price.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 7:07 pm

tsb wrote:Any reason not to fly ? Can't beat the price.
Wife. We flew to Las Vegas 9/10/2001 almost had to drive home. Besides I need to bring some larger items.
Last edited by Flyer5 on Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Dave, I know most who do this on a regular basis will tell you that sleeping on the ride is NOT what you envision. The rails are 40' long.......and the 40 foot clickety-clack is NOT cancelled by some magic science.
Just a heads up....and it sure is an adventure.......HOWEVER, if you had an Axeman-Anderson for several years, the 'clickety-clack' isn't far off the 'tinkle-tinkle' of the auger.
The pitch and yaw...that is NOT an Axeman thing, so be ready for a 'Pitch and Roll' E-ticket ride!

The menu is not a 4 star experience but I know you have been to a few "Choke and Puke" roadside stands in your young life. Bring the kids favorite travel foods, and drug-up the significant other and you are good to go.............

PS: Call the fine folks at 'Paramount Pictures' and make a mini-series out of it. Trust me, you CANNOT make this stuff up! You think Chevy Chase was funny.....Wally World on the east coast!
........Dirt Poor Dave takes the family to 'Moonshinin' Holla, via the iron beast. Take a black magic marker to black out most of your teeth......this is not a beauty contest.

Great White Creatures Rule!!! PPS: I still think Larry will be 'chomped' before noon tomorrow! :D Perhaps they they will use him for a 'chew toy' for a half hour....but 12:30 for sure!!!! :woot: :eek2: :devil: :eek2:
Last edited by whistlenut on Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rychw
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by rychw » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 7:27 pm

My family took the train to Florida 10 years ago with a Disney trip for the kids. The best part (for me) of the 10 day trip was the train. We did get a family sleeper room but if I ever go back to Florida I will take this train instead of driving. They are so efficient loading the train with the cars and the service on the train was great. The scenery isn't fantastic but I still enjoyed the ride. I would recommend the train for anyone heading to Florida and access to the train terminal.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Been awhile since you've been on a train Whistlenut? This isn't the North Conway Scenic Railroad, they replaced jointed rail with ribbon-rail 20 years ago (technically it is called CWR, or Continuously Welded Rail, but for railroaders it is ribbon rail, but then again we know jointed rail is 39 feet and not 40 feet too!) :P . I think you will find the ride to be much smoother now then back in the day in any case.

You are right on the pitch and rolling though. We used to travel up the tracks around 10 mph in work mode, and when I sat down in the brakemans seat, within 5 minutes I was sleeping. That is not good when you are the Railroad Safety Coordinator, but for anyone, it was impossible NOT to sleep with the side to side motion.

It was so sleep inducing that when my first daughter was born, I decided to build her a cradle in the shape of a locomotive. It had rockers that rolled her side to side, and was dovetailed together except for the drawers where the air brake assembly and batteries were located, that was "lovetailed" which is like dovetails except they were in the shape of hearts. Along with the battery and air brake drawers, I made it so the fuel tank opened up, the dog house opened up as well and the radiator also contained a spot to store stuff. At age 6 she uses the cradle as a toy box, but still came out good.

I always said if I had a boy I was going to build a bulldozer cradle, but since we are having another girl (4th) I lost all interest. :cry:
Locomotive Cradle.JPG
.JPG | 232.5KB | Locomotive Cradle.JPG
Locomotive Cradle Opened Up.JPG
.JPG | 226.9KB | Locomotive Cradle Opened Up.JPG
Lovetails.JPG
.JPG | 120KB | Lovetails.JPG

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 8:00 pm

First off i'm jealous! wish I were leaving this PA weather to go to FL!

Guy I work with is headed there in 1 week for Disney world...

Anyway last fall we went to Disney and considered the auto train. ended up driving it. I drive a fair amount for work so driving does not bother me. Started out after work about 5 pm and I drove til 11pm ended up in Rocky Mt, NC> then the next day left about 8 am and went straight thru arriving in Orlanda abour 7 PM or so. had some stops in there for rest and food also. Anyway not bad but my 4 year old is a great traveler.

I have a few friends who liked the auto train though. Best of luck. Enjoy your trip!

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 8:11 pm

There were Indians chasing the train on the last trip Freetown and I were on........dodging arrows and bullets.....but the ride was not as smooth as a Caddie. The Buffalo on the cow-catcher was absolutely delicious.....lean and tender.

I wonder if Fred still has the pictures with his handlebar Mustache.....and goatee..... He looked like Wild Bill with a chew in his mouth........back in the day, when Politically Correct was NOT an Agenda,,,just 2 words in the Websters....

:shock: :mad:

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
tsb wrote:Any reason not to fly ? Can't beat the price.
Wife. We flew to Las Vegas 9/10/2011 almost had to drive home. Besides I need to bring some larger items.
I meant 9/10/2001

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Feb. 10, 2013 8:32 pm

whistlenut wrote:Dave, I know most who do this on a regular basis will tell you that sleeping on the ride is NOT what you envision. The rails are 40' long.......and the 40 foot clickety-clack is NOT cancelled by some magic science.
Just a heads up....and it sure is an adventure.......HOWEVER, if you had an Axeman-Anderson for several years, the 'clickety-clack' isn't far off the 'tinkle-tinkle' of the auger.
The pitch and yaw...that is NOT an Axeman thing, so be ready for a 'Pitch and Roll' E-ticket ride!

The menu is not a 4 star experience but I know you have been to a few "Choke and Puke" roadside stands in your young life. Bring the kids favorite travel foods, and drug-up the significant other and you are good to go.............

PS: Call the fine folks at 'Paramount Pictures' and make a mini-series out of it. Trust me, you CANNOT make this stuff up! You think Chevy Chase was funny.....Wally World on the east coast!
........Dirt Poor Dave takes the family to 'Moonshinin' Holla, via the iron beast. Take a black magic marker to black out most of your teeth......this is not a beauty contest.

Great White Creatures Rule!!! PPS: I still think Larry will be 'chomped' before noon tomorrow! :D Perhaps they they will use him for a 'chew toy' for a half hour....but 12:30 for sure!!!! :woot: :eek2: :devil: :eek2:
I am thinking the rails can't be much worse than todays roads, not counting the drivers of this new generation.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Fri. Mar. 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Flyer5 wrote:.................. Besides I need to bring some larger items.
You are delivering some 110's to Disney ?????????? Wow !!!

Where do you pick up the train Wilmington ??

Rick

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Mar. 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Rick 386 wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:.................. Besides I need to bring some larger items.
You are delivering some 110's to Disney ?????????? Wow !!!

Where do you pick up the train Wilmington ??

Rick

Pick it up in Lorton VA. I enjoyed the train ride. Wish I scheduled a return ride.

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”