Ireland

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Not sure if anyone on here has ever been to Ireland, but it is a pretty good place to go. Fares are pretty cheap due to the poor economy over there right now, so getting across the pond won't set you back too far in the wallet. We, being farmers, chose to stay at a farm over there, and that was a lot of fun. I am not into hotel rooms and crowded cities and this worked out well. It was interesting to sit down at a pub and have a pint with 4 dairy farmers. When the night was done, we concluded it was different, but the same. Overall I would say it was like stepping back in time to the 1970's where 100 acres and 60 cow dairy farms are average sized. Out of respect, and not wanting to sound like a cocky American I conveyed that I was impressed, and never once mentioned how many cows we milk, or the amount of acreage we farm. Some things are best left unsaid. As was, twice I got up and had the beef cows fed before the owner got out of bed. I am just used to that way of life and they have a little different pace then we do in New England that is for sure!

We went in February which is a good time for low prices, but a lot of things were closed too. I might push it back to April the next time that I go. There was snow on the ground which they had not seen in 10 years and actually had to put "grit" as they called it, on the ground. We call it sanding the road here. Still we had a great trip and saw much of the country. We rented a car and just drove everywhere because Ireland and the State of Maine are identical in size, so it was nothing for us.

All in all, a 12 day trip cost us $3,100 including the air fare, staying at the farm, rental car and eating out. I did get to deduct half of it off my taxes, BUT must admit that there was little to bring back as far as farming methods with my own sheep, which was the intent of the trip. It is so warm over there that with 365 day grazing, nothing is really applicable to a Maine Sheep Farmer.
SDC10097.JPG
.JPG | 177.9KB | SDC10097.JPG
SDC10251.JPG
.JPG | 122.5KB | SDC10251.JPG
SDC10084.JPG
.JPG | 213.4KB | SDC10084.JPG
SDC10252.JPG
.JPG | 144.7KB | SDC10252.JPG

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Very nice NoSmoke. Makes me want to go and then hop an island to visit my ancestors in Wales :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice pix NS. Hell, for $3000.00 you could of come down here & I would've given you some Native American traditional sheep info. ;)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 9:14 pm

we went there in early 90's, it was the nicest foreign country I have ever been to. we didn't do hotels either, just took the rental car as far as we wanted to go for the day and found a bed & breakfast to stay at. we saw a couple of the tourist trip bus caravans at a couple of the stops we made and were very glad we weren't being shuttled like cattle from one thing to the next on their schedule. the b&b people really treated us great. I'd highly recommend a trip there, too.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Nice place ... but for that price I could have my wife driving something else, besides the Blazer & Focus. :D

Never been off the north American continent ... except the 2 times I rode in a jet, once in a helicopter, and a few Cessnas. ;)

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 5:52 am

The Blazer and a Ford Focus are all paid for; not the best cars I realize but they get me from Point A to Point B at the cheapest cost, and I like that. I do have to get a mini-van soon though, with the baby on the way, there is just no way we can fit 4 kids and 2 adults in anything else, but all in due time.

To be honest with you, I have been laughed at my entire life; from the tiny house I started with to owning sheep, but that just means I am like the little boy that gets called the dumbest kid in the world since he gets shown a 50 cent piece and a dollar and takes the 50 cent piece every time. When explained that the dollar is worth more money, he exclaims, "when I take the dollar, the game stops." So it is with borrowing money. Not only do you have to pay back every dollar you borrow, you have to use your hard earned money to pay back the interest payment too; I don't like doing that. When you borrow the money for a brand new car, the game stops.

It is the same way with the sheep. I have heard every suggestive farmer-sheep joke there is, and typically spend 1200 hours a year in farming, but I got to go on a trip to Ireland for $1550 because of those little woolly creatures. It is true that I do not make much money with my sheep, but then I don't lose much money either. But when the sheep are gone, the game stops.

The problem is, they don't tell you this stuff in school.
SMITTY wrote:Nice place ... but for that price I could have my wife driving something else, besides the Blazer & Focus. :D

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”