Vacation Property.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 8:45 am

My wife and I have been discussing the idea of buying a vacation property in Pennsylvania. She has family in nepa and we travel to Bucks County every May for a huge dog show. My grandfather sold the family farm back in the mid 1970's. We had a 147 acre farm in Hyde Park, New York and my dream has been to reclaim that honor for my kids.

Like anywhere else, property cost varies tremendously from one county to the next, from one town to the next and so on. We are ideally looking for a large piece of property, a small farm perhaps, but the acreage is more important than the house itself. My kids are 8 and 12 years old, and my goal is to remove them from the modern world occasionally and live a weekend without computers and television.

Can anyone recommend a town that has depressed property values for economic reasons but has great natural beauty that's located in central or eastern Pennsylvania?

Thanks!

CoalUserWannabe

Post by CoalUserWannabe » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 9:53 am

Don't come to Monroe county, you'll lose your property to taxes , plus all the bad elements from NJ and NY, Monroe officials are as corrupt as Luzern if not worse, Wayne county may be your best option, lots of lakes and you are close to all the highways, and as far as depressed properties, wake up, it's all over the place !

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 10:05 am

CoalUserWannabe wrote: plus all the bad elements from NJ
Excuse me???

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 12:19 pm

:clap: toothy There's still good deals around, you just gotta get off your ass & look.Take a week-end trip & keep your eyes open. ;) Why are you psyched about only Pa. availability??

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info Fred!

Pennsylvania is just family-friendly and there are good deals to be had. Granted, western New York State has cheap real estate also, but travel distance becomes an issue and my wife doesn't have any family out that way.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 2:24 pm

bradford, wyoming,susquehanna, counties

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
Excuse me???
John, he should come down here and get a mini farm they are all the rage! And the taxes are only 1000.00 a month! What a deal! Better yet buy some land and let me take care of it and in exchange I can sell coal and be rent free! (discount for the landlord)

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 6:14 pm

check out bedford co. pa 200 miles west of philly.. don't have that element here. 100 miles east of pittbg. rite along pa turnpike exit 146 real country here..

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 6:19 pm

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 10:56 pm

crazy4coal wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote: Excuse me???
John, he should come down here and get a mini farm they are all the rage! And the taxes are only 1000.00 a month! What a deal! Better yet buy some land and let me take care of it and in exchange I can sell coal and be rent free! (discount for the landlord)
Sounds like a plan! Welcome to New Jersey, land of absurdly high property taxes.

john17751

Post by john17751 » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 11:32 am

You can try Lycoming, Clinton or Center Counties in Pa also.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
Excuse me???
I know what he's talking about by the comment. Interstate 80 is a direct corridor to the poconos, and bad element, is the crimnal types that move away from the local law enforcement from where they came from.(new york, newark, and vincinities)
With them they bring thier trade, mostly selling drugs, and the other friendly ones from the networks of such dealing. I know for I lived in the Stroudsburg area of Pa for a few years, and there was usually a shooting, knifing, killing, and other going on directly related to the transplants. To all the good honest working people, that comment doesn't apply.

On the other hand... people that move into an area and get cocky about this should be like this and that because thats the way it is where I come from.. ?? is why the H-LL did you move if its so much better there than where you moved to?

So if ya move to an new area, blend in go with the flow.. and enjoy the changes instead of trying to change what is, doing so gets the locals a lil pissed off and thats not how to make new friends.

CoalUserWannabe

Post by CoalUserWannabe » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 8:22 pm

wilder11354 wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote: Excuse me???
I know what he's talking about by the comment. Interstate 80 is a direct corridor to the poconos, and bad element, is the crimnal types that move away from the local law enforcement from where they came from.(new york, newark, and vincinities)
With them they bring thier trade, mostly selling drugs, and the other friendly ones from the networks of such dealing. I know for I lived in the Stroudsburg area of Pa for a few years, and there was usually a shooting, knifing, killing, and other going on directly related to the transplants. To all the good honest working people, that comment doesn't apply.
Thank you Wilder , you said it right !

And them people don't even burn coal, that alone makes them bad elements ! ( just kidding )

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Have you ever driven through the old coal towns of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania? It's not to pretty these days. Sort of like going back in time. I'm sure you could find some old mtn camp on the edge of game lands with a cabin with no internet access at some rock bottom prices. And yes, you will get a lot of rocks on that land. Not sure about farmland. Farmland certainly has much more value. We frequently visted a old cabin near Tower City when I was a kid. Lots of fun, hunting & fishing.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Oh yea, now Stroudsburg, there's some real country. :clap: toothy You need to find some place to open that plywood factory-an old grist mill setting for power. Sooo, you need water for power where ever you look.

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”