Beach Vacation

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sat. Jan. 14, 2012 11:19 am

I might be looking for a house to rent on the ocean front for a week. Somewhere between New Jersey and North Carolina. Where is a good, family oriented, uncrowded beach vacation spot? Not looking for alot of activities, just quiet. We have gone to Topsail NC a number of times and had alot of fun. We are thinking of trying somewhere new(and maybe closer to PA).
We have also used this company for long weekends in Md. http://www.coastalcamper.com/index.html in case anyone is interested in camping at the beach.

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 1:22 pm

OBX - Outer Banks, N.C. If you've never been, you don't know what your missing. Anything north of there on up is going to be packed during the summer.....

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Been to the outer banks... Beaches are nice but the area is kind of overbuilt with generic Mcmansion type beach houses and I still cant escape fellow New Yorkers. It is a good spot for families.

Took a trip to Prince Edward Island shortly after I got married. It is a haul but man it's nice up there. Absolutely nothing (at least when I went), you rent a cottage and hole up for the week. Shallow bank so the water is warm (they boast the warmest waters North of the Carolinas), the church lobster dinners are fantastic and the island is great for exploring (lighthouses, Canadian history... if you're into that kind of stuff). If it wasn't for the drive I'd probably go back there every year.

I had not been but apparently Rhode Island has great beaches and a more reserved New England crowd with the water temps that aren't too bad. It's Cape Cod without the expense or the attitude. I may check it out this year.

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 6:21 pm

http://www.chincoteague.com/
We have gone here a few times! Very family centered and no commercial as well. Pony swim and carnival time have the most to do.
There is a NASA space http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/visitorcenter/ on your way to the island.
http://www.assateagueisland.com/ Assateague Island is beautiful and is where the beach is.
We have rented multiple homes at one time on the island in and around town to accomadate all of us.
Check it out!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 6:30 pm

eelhc wrote:Been to the outer banks... Beaches are nice but the area is kind of overbuilt with generic Mcmansion type beach houses and I still cant escape fellow New Yorkers. It is a good spot for families.
We were down near the end a few miles North of where you get the ferry for Ocrakoke, it was "rural" type setting if there is any such thing.

Chincoteague is nice too but you really need a boat for that and proabaly someone to show you the ropes. They have a beach there but I don't think there is any places to rent on the beach. If you have a boat lots of great activities like clamming, crabbing fishing etc. They have the wild horses there too and if you can get place to stay for that weekend have the annual festival where they cross them over the water.

Assateague which is South of Ocean City is really nice but you have to camp, you're camping right on the beach. Might be an idea to split it between Ocean City and there. Be aware the flies/mosquitoes can be really bad on both Assateague and Chincoteague. Best time to go there to avoid the bugs and crowds is late September and early October. Still warm enough to swim.

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sat. Feb. 11, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks for the repies.... We always go to assateaque in September... when we go... due to the bugs and heat. There is no shade at the campground. We also stay at the state owned part of the park, they have free, hot water, showers. Hide the food or the horses will find it at night. It is also interesting when you feel the camper shake in the middle of the night, you go out to find horses rubbing against it!... funny... Watched some of the male horses fighting, that was pretty cool too.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Feb. 26, 2012 4:04 pm

If you are camping, try Cape Henlopen in Delaware. Nice campground, nice uncrowded beach.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Mar. 10, 2012 3:42 pm

There are nice quiet places on The Cape to vacation...
Just not like the '50's...
Dime a dozen...
You have to look hard and order early...
Most don't have ads out but are word of mouth...
They are not all 24K a week, some are more...
Late season is cheaper here late Aug early Sept...
There are nice quiet sandy road kinda places still...

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Mar. 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Cape is nice ... but it's still MA. That's too bad .... :D

My advice? Anyplace as far from the northeast region as possible. 2 major benefits of this: people are nicer the farther south you go, and water temperature gets warmer as well. It's a win-win. ;)

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 7:02 am

Me and the wife Honey-Mooned in Virginia Beach. I really thought I would hate it, but it was her dream destination and who am I to deny her that. In the end we both loved it staying far longer than we intended too. It is not secluded which is why I thought I would hate it, but there was so much to do, and rather inexpensive, so we just stayed and stayed. It is definitely on our to-do-again list.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 10:36 am

Going to PR in march for 5days. We're renting a big house with 3 other couples that wer'e close with, can't believe how cheap the flights are and renting the house comes out to under $1200 per couple ( without food, but alot of cooking at home will save beau-coup bucks there as well as wine, spirits and Hoppy Liquids).

We've been going to Sandals resorts all over Jamaica for the past 5yrs and frankly we're sick of it and the cost keeps going up and up ( about $4000 per couple now) to the point that it'll be quite awhile before we entertain the idea of even going again.

Return to “Travel, Adventure & Places of Interest”