Scam Call – Electricity Rates

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Jun. 29, 2018 6:27 pm

So today I got a call from a man with an accent similar to that of the manager at 7-eleven and a lot of background noise like he was calling from a busy call center. His reason for calling was to give me electricity rate protection free of charge but he needed to know my electricity provider and needed me to get my bill and he could hold for a while for me to find my bill. I humored him for a bit because that accent sounds funny to me but eventually told him I was busy and had to go and that I don’t use much electricity anyway. He didn’t know my electric provider and I didn’t tell him, I said I wasn’t sure.

The question I have though is what is their end game in this apparent scam? I am certain he wanted my account number with the power company but how far can they go with that or would he have then been asking for bank info as well? The leading off with the electric rate protection was just a new tactic to me. Anybody else hear from these guys?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Jun. 29, 2018 6:30 pm

I don't answer numbers I don't know, I get calls now and the caller ID says Likely Scam..

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jun. 29, 2018 7:26 pm

I don't know the rules in your "parts unknown" location. Here in Maine, my understanding is almost anyone can become an electricity "provider" by lining up a source of supply and then signing up consumers. There was a LOT of that going on a few years ago -- several big heating-oil companies, and an amazing assortment of other companies, had big promotions offering a few tenths or hundredths of a cent below the PUC's standard-rate offer. I suppose the companies figured on making a minuscule amount per kilowatt-hour (but with lots of KWHs) by doing little more than lending their names to the business. I suspect there was another layer of promoter above the companies that provided the public face. The guy beside me at work was all set to sign up and save a glorious $10 a year, when the new standard-rate was announced at less than his "special" savings rate. Anyhow, the whole thing seems to have died out because there was little or no advantage to the consumer.

So something like that may be going on in your area??? Or maybe as others suggest it is just a scam.

gaw

Post by gaw » Fri. Jun. 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I’ve dealt with those electricity sales people before; they usually accost me at a Walmart or Sam’s club. This guy didn’t ask the right questions or he was terribly trained but I don’t think that was the case. He was clearly on a fishing trip but I don’t know what the end game is other than me losing money somewhere somehow. I just wonder how the scam works. Maybe I’ll ask my psychic adviser at my next appointment, I bet she’ll know. :lol:

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jun. 30, 2018 5:13 am

I had a call last week from "Emera" ( my electric company). His strong accent might have told me it was a scam, but the "A truck is on it's way to disconnect your meter". Almost made me laugh. He never got around to asking me for money because I was so "excited". I said: "Wonderful! It's about time you came to take my meter, I'm been begging you to shut me off for months!" All I heard after that was: "The truck is on it's way! The truck is on it's way!" As he hung up. Sheeesh!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Jun. 30, 2018 5:26 am

I dunno Freddy , that i-MIEV needs a lot of juice, be careful.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jul. 01, 2018 9:38 am

they may at some point ask for money aka prepaid card...
MA consumer affairs got this far...
https://blog.mass.gov/consumer/massconsumer/energ ... cam-calls/

gaw

Post by gaw » Sun. Jul. 01, 2018 10:32 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Sun. Jul. 01, 2018 9:38 am
they may at some point ask for money aka prepaid card...
MA consumer affairs got this far...
https://blog.mass.gov/consumer/massconsumer/energ ... cam-calls/
That's all I can think of, at some point he would need a card number or bank account information for some reason.

There are people who engage these scammers for sport and post videos on YouTube or have blogs detailing their interactions. Some are better than others but it can be entertaining on a slow night. 😄

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jul. 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Once they get an account, they can switch to their provider which normally has higher rates, or they add in extras. and usually a HUGE cancellation fee like $500+ . or if they say they are YOUR electric company and ask for Gift Cards for payment for unpaid bills, usually a scam. My wife sees it all the time where she works, they sell gifts cards, and people ask for certain amounts, on multiple gifts cards. Like $200, $500. They always ask what they are for and help explain the scams. and to CALL their utility company direct, not the phone # the people that called them. usually there is no problem with their bills.

My mom got 'slammed' once from a door to door electricity provider wanting to see your bill and how much they can save you, in the meantime, they write your account number down and switch you without your knowledge, but luckily, we called immediately and had it cancelled and blocked blocked from switching without another persons approval (mine.)
I also told local police dept. and they were ban from the city for soliciting after a bunch more people complained!

Return to “Money & Finance”