64 YO now

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Tired of working alternating 49.5/57.5 hour weeks. No time for me things. Hours 7AM to 530Pm daily. 5 day/6 day alternating weeks. Been thinking a lot past few months about doing SS. Down side no medicare/caid till 65 YO. Health benefits at work are good, no co pay by me. But my health is sketchy..so health care is a must. But hours being worked aren't greatest either for health. So do i hold off to mid year 2018 and apply, then work full time for 6 months take hit on SS benefits? or go part time asap, and cobra my own health benefits?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Cripes,Wild.....Can You give me something that I can fix ?

You've presented the Classic Trick Bag : If You touch it,it explodes,if You just look at it,it explodes !...... Real Cozy !

I guess the real answer I have is just what can You afford to do ? We All know that We can't buy a day of Our Lives back. We also know that We only have so many,both good and bad,granted to Us. That's it,That's all there really is.

It's easy to say to Hell with it and just get the Hell out of there.... Piece of cake.... Until the cake explodes...

Lay All Your Cards Out On The Table,gather 'round the Loved Ones,even if it's just You and The Dog,and have an Honest Assessment Chat. You're pretty damned close to going out full. If pushing that cart over the Hill to do it's honestly going to kill You,then stand down,Live Your remaining days and don't look back. Don't lament of what it could've been. Just be thrilled on how You cheated the Cats at the Funeral Home 'cause You didn't blow it and worked Yourself to Death.....

Now,if it's just because You're so close to going out full that You can taste it,and it's driving You Buggy,then just B.S. Yourself that You can do Your final year standing on Your head and punch it through !

Pretty worthless post from me,my Friend,but that's about All I've Got for how this Trick Bag Deal goes..... Good Luck,And God Bless !!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 9:48 pm

That's a tough one to follow so I'm givin it a big +1 Bill.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Are you working for the money or the health benefits...
How much are the COBRA payments...
Does your Lifestyle take a big hit if you work part time and make COBRA payments...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:37 am

I assume you will collect full SS benefits when 65, in 6 months. Wait the 6 months, but also see if you can reduce the current work load.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 9:18 am

wilder11354 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Tired of working alternating 49.5/57.5 hour weeks. No time for me things. Hours 7AM to 530Pm daily. 5 day/6 day alternating weeks. Been thinking a lot past few months about doing SS. Down side no medicare/caid till 65 YO. Health benefits at work are good, no co pay by me. But my health is sketchy..so health care is a must. But hours being worked aren't greatest either for health. So do i hold off to mid year 2018 and apply, then work full time for 6 months take hit on SS benefits? or go part time asap, and cobra my own health benefits?
If i was that fed up with the long work hrs & was that close to retiring , i would retire now & enjoy a more laidback life,enjoy more time with family & friends. You can always find some kind of part time work for extra $$,something with less demands & flexible.
Since my wife died... I have never once said or even thought.... I wish i had worked more instead of taking those walks with my wife & talking about everything.... Not even once !!!

MANY times..... I have thought about those times of walking/talking when we could have been working our butts off....
EVERY time I have thought about this issue,i have come to the same conclusion....

I am so glad that our relationship was lots of walk & talk & not just LOTS of work,work...

NO regrets ! :)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 9:55 am

i'm sure there are lots of opinions like both the last two.i'm pretty much in the very same boat.

my wife turned 64 Dec. 1st that means she can start her medicare application, since she will also turn 65 during this calender yr.

i won't be 64 till day after tomorrow which means i can't start that till next yr after i'm 65.

then there's the fact that i get a pretty good bump on my retirement if i finish 25 yrs here at work and that will be 3 more yrs. when i'm 67 which puts me in the full boat SS gig too.

i've told them i'm going to be done at that point but i'm not sure that it was the best mental move cause now that i have established the fact that i can and will leave i have days of real conflict over " why am i still putting up with this $#@&"

i believe in the end i'll stick it out cause there are a few things i want to do on our property and house while i'm still here and have real decent self purchase priviledges.

you're the only one with the pro / con ledger for your situation. for me, if i could make things better for myself by making it 6 more months i would. you've already invested everything you're going to in them, make sure you get out on the best posible terms for yourself.

steve

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 10:08 am

One thing is for sure ... this all comes down to each one of us making the decision that we feel best suits for our own personal taste/beliefs/feelings/etc...

For myself... i have figured out that work will still be waiting to be done next yr,no matter how hard i work this yr. The house remodel can carry on after my wife died.... it can also go on after i die,death won't do away with the work load for those yet living.

Relationships.... well... they end with death of that person... no promise of having time with that person or family or friends tomorrow, as tomorrow for them may not come.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 10:44 am

Once you start thinking about retiring, every work day seems longer.
If you are almost 65, the SS benefit hit won't be too bad. Don't know if you have priced COBRA, but it was VERY expensive to carry my wife for a year after I retired.
No easy answers.
Is there any way you could cut back hours of work but still be considered "full time" for health benefits? My company used to allow half-time workers to buy into the insurance program while paying about 1/2 the COBRA rate.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 10:49 am

rberq wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 10:44 am
Once you start thinking about retiring, every work day seems longer.
Ain't that the truth !! 6 months will seem more like 6 yrs.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 9:26 pm

working i don't mind....but at 64YO... when there"s 20>30 YO that thing thats not what i will do, not wont for a job........ and mentally blinder themselves to no...... that sucks for me!!! Ole ethinics you see what needs to be done you do it....NEW SCHOOL... i don't see *censored* so i don't do *censored*!!!! Manager... supposed manger just licks his own rolls, and sticks his DOH..really am i that stupid up owners fat ass palace.! Tired being working since 11YOs... FT...Had enough!!!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 9:41 pm

I mostly agree with Windy's 1st post more than any others but agree a little with all the posts. You cant buy back time.

If you can afford it get out. Darned health care can really make us slaves and it has to be a consideration, but...

Return to “Money & Finance”