No Excuse for Elder Abuse

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 5:45 pm

If you are an old fart like me, or if your parents are, read this and be afraid. It describes how freelance “guardians” get themselves appointed by a court to look out for older folks whom otherwise they have no connection to; commit them to nursing homes or other institutions; convert their assets to cash; and make a fortune billing their estates for guardianship services. Many retired baby boomers have accumulated significant property and money, and I have wondered for some time how society’s predators would steal their assets. This is one way.

Next time you see that bumper sticker, “No excuse for elder abuse,” ask yourself: Is this just another do-gooder mouthing platitudes, or is this person trying to condition me to believe there is a big problem that needs a big solution? Is he/she one of the predators the “problem” will empower?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... eir-rights

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 6:02 pm

I hate abuse. My son wants to come for thxgiving from NC with my grandkids. Being sensitive to this issue, we paid $1400 for his air tickets. That showed him!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Same here Simon, oldest girl & grandkids for T-giving. Guess I'm gonna have to give them $20.00 for gas to get back to Pa. RB, I'm guessin the philosophy of planning falls in there somewhere.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 5:17 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 6:02 pm
I hate abuse. My son wants to come for thxgiving from NC with my grandkids. Being sensitive to this issue, we paid $1400 for his air tickets. That showed him!
See all that $$$ you are saving from burning coal !

Return to “Money & Finance”