My Card Was Hacked

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. May. 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Opened my bank account online to find a charge the previous day for $10.71.... It was from an online office supply store that itself looked a little shady. I guess they must use small amount to see if it goes through or perhaps hit it once every few weeks with small amounts and hope you don't notice.

Anyhow I canceled the card, not sure how it was compromised. It's unlikely it happened online because I'm very careful about that stuff and there is only a few places I use it. I think the likely scenario here is I got hit by one of those skimmers.

Anyhow cash only at local stores anymore, email alerts for any withdrawal over $1.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. May. 19, 2017 1:04 am

They might be ripping you off now, 99 cents at a time Rich !

I always check my statements. Have had a few bogus charges and charges for things that got to me damaged or otherwise unhappy with.

For most part, credit card companies side in favor of the customer...they have a process.

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Fri. May. 19, 2017 2:23 am

Richard S. wrote: Anyhow cash only at local stores anymore, email alerts for any withdrawal over $1.
That is the way I have my cards, alerts if the card is used regardless of the amount.

Had simular thing happen to me a week ago, a $18 charge at a parking garage in Hollywood FLA. Got the email alert and called the card company right away and canceled the card as well... piss me off...

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. May. 19, 2017 7:02 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
For most part, credit card companies side in favor of the customer...they have a process.
It was only $10.71 and they immediately credited it back to my account. That said we are all paying for it one way or another.

mkline
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak x 2...Old and New
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove/Anthracite

Post by mkline » Fri. May. 19, 2017 7:13 am

I had it happen a few months ago to the tune of 1299.00. They ordered a top of the line drone with VR headset. I called the company up and they said it went through and left it at that. Boy was I pissed! I went to my bank and got the money back in my acct. and a new card issued. Now I don't use it.

Mike

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. May. 19, 2017 7:19 am

About two weeks ago, I caught a $120 transfer to my other checking account. I don't have another checking account. Turns out the shmuck went online as me, created another account in my name and moved the money to the bogus account. From there, he moved it to Wells Fargo. I then went online to see when my state refund was coming. I was booted because I was checking on it too much. I had never checked on it. Obviously, the first money grab was a test and then he was going to grab the big stash. Cop said if he is in state, he will get him. If out, forgetaboutit!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 19, 2017 7:26 am

Technology is not always good. I have a credit card but I never want a bank card. I wont check my account online either. Why let someone hack into your computer and get at your account that way. I do like the idea of getting an email for every charge and will see if my credit card does that. Sounds like a real good idea for those that use a bank card.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. May. 19, 2017 7:37 am

Join the club! It seems most people I've talked to had something like this happen at some point in time. I had some small charges all in a one or two day period and the credit card company called me as well as one of the merchants.
I once used my Amex in a way that triggered an alert and the cashier at Best buy had to call them and was instructed to check my ID, it sounded like an interesting call only hearing one side of it. In a way I was glad that their systems were flagging suspicious activities.

Unfortunately this is the world we live in today.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. May. 19, 2017 8:18 am

warminmn wrote:Technology is not always good. I have a credit card but I never want a bank card. I wont check my account online either. Why let someone hack into your computer and get at your account that way. I do like the idea of getting an email for every charge and will see if my credit card does that. Sounds like a real good idea for those that use a bank card.
Realistically it's safer to do online shopping and banking than other methods such as a phone or a store. A lot of these compromises come about because of lack of security at the brick and mortar store. There is really only two major risks involved with it and both can be mitigated. As you noted if your computer gets compromised, a keylogger for example. I use Keepass and it has a special method for posting data into fields on a web page that obfuscates that data that should prevent any keylogger from getting it.

http://keepass.info/help/v2/autotype_obfuscation.html

In addition to using something like Keepass here is some other things you can do.
  • Use a different browser than your main one for shopping and banking. This is not foolproof because some of these hacks affect the the entire sytem but it will prevent specific browser hacks.
  • Boot into Knoppix or some other "Live CD/DVD". These are the entire OS's on a CD/DVD which can only be written to once. The software would need to be compromised at the source you downloaded it from. Every time you boot it's like a fresh install.
  • Make sure you are using different passwords on different sites.
The other is spoofing. Never follow links from email or elsewhere. Either type it in or from a bookmark. The way to identify a spoofed URL is pretty simple.

Code: Select all

yourbank.somename.com/blah
The somename.com is the important part, when you read a URL backwards the name after that first dot is the base domain name.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. May. 19, 2017 8:22 am

Richard S. wrote: It was only $10.71 and they immediately credited it back to my account. That said we are all paying for it one way or another.
My wife's bank card was hacked last month for around 40 bucks, no "direct" cost but we pay for it with higher fees and low interest. The banks are just the middle man and wash their hands of responsibility. Welcome to technology.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Fri. May. 19, 2017 8:56 am

to much tech. ma as we all have delt with this dam !!!!!!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 19, 2017 9:01 am

Some cards have an automatic limit warning, and some decline any charge over a certain limit.

18 years ago, I got a call from our card company when the ex-wife's cards were stolen while visiting her mother at a NYC Hospital. Before she even knew her wallet was gone there were charges of $700.00 at a liquor store, and $1100.00 at some mattress outlet. The card company let the charges go through, but called to alert. They quickly cancelled the cards. Then they put me through to their investigation department. I asked the guy who pays those charges ? He confided that the customers do - that's why interest rates are so high on credit cards.

Fast forward. Now it seems that some card companies just don't allow charges over a certain amount without their card holder's ok.

Monday, I got a call from a fabricating shop that finished making a new windshield frame for a convertible I'm working on and was ready to ship it. My customer's card was declined when he called them and tried to pay for it. Turns out the $900.00 cost was over whatever limit his card has. He called his card company to ok it and then the charge went through.

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 19, 2017 9:14 am

Richard S. wrote:
warminmn wrote:Technology is not always good. I have a credit card but I never want a bank card. I wont check my account online either. Why let someone hack into your computer and get at your account that way. I do like the idea of getting an email for every charge and will see if my credit card does that. Sounds like a real good idea for those that use a bank card.
Realistically it's safer to do online shopping and banking than other methods such as a phone or a store. A lot of these compromises come about because of lack of security at the brick and mortar store. There is really only two major risks involved with it and both can be mitigated. As you noted if your computer gets compromised, a keylogger for example. I use Keepass and it has a special method for posting data into fields on a web page that obfuscates that data that should prevent any keylogger from getting it.

http://keepass.info/help/v2/autotype_obfuscation.html

In addition to using something like Keepass here is some other things you can do.
  • Use a different browser than your main one for shopping and banking. This is not foolproof because some of these hacks affect the the entire sytem but it will prevent specific browser hacks.
  • Boot into Knoppix or some other "Live CD/DVD". These are the entire OS's on a CD/DVD which can only be written to once. The software would need to be compromised at the source you downloaded it from. Every time you boot it's like a fresh install.
  • Make sure you are using different passwords on different sites.
The other is spoofing. Never follow links from email or elsewhere. Either type it in or from a bookmark. The way to identify a spoofed URL is pretty simple.

Code: Select all

yourbank.somename.com/blah
The somename.com is the important part, when you read a URL backwards the name after that first dot is the base domain name.
You are right about having more problems with brick and mortar stores than shopping online and im sure Keepass is great, but its still not as secure as not doing banking online at all. :D

Good security info, including the spoofing info.

I do a lot of shopping online with paypal or my credit card. I much prefer my credit card get hacked than a bank account.... but I guess banks have all our info online too so it probably doesnt matter anyway what we do.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. May. 19, 2017 6:23 pm

I don't have time for a story, so, Freeze your credit report for the full seven years, all three...you will thank me later, victim of ID theft four times here.. used in a crime three times now, last this week...

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. May. 19, 2017 6:39 pm

*censored* the credit agencies and credit cards. I don't need credit and don't want credit.... they can kiss my ass.

Years ago I had a CC with the coal business, I forgot a payment and they applied a $30 late fee. Fair enough... I went online about 2 days after it was due and paid the balance off but the late fee was not assessed yet. The next cycle came around with just the $30 late fee as balance and I didn't make a payment assuming the payment I made was applied to that cycle. They gave me another late fee so now I have a $60 balance all of which is late fees.

Their explanation was the payment I made was applied to the first cycle I was late. They refused to drop the second late fee and that was the end of CC's for me. I never paid the balance, the conversations with the collectors were humorous.

Return to “Money & Finance”