The Taxes Thread

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 6:04 pm

So I'm doing my taxes. Figured everyone else is probably going to be doing theirs and we can chat about it here. I use H&R BLOCK, pretty easy and I'm doing a bunch for other family members.

Tip #1: Just avoid the healthcare questions if you or a dependent didn't have full coverage. It won't calculate the penalties unless you set yourself up for them.

Thanks Trump! :)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 6:10 pm

My wife started doing ours, about a week ago. (she's faster than me :oops: ) We got raped lasted year, cause the kids got jobs, and are claiming themselves. Worried about this years returns.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Filed mine last weekend. Been using Turbotax since 2008.

Have to pay in a couple grand. :mad:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 6:55 pm

I hate when that happens.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Have an accountant do mine les than $ 200.00. Kirsten & I are both retirees & I get SSI along with our pensions. Not many deductions still got back 3K. IMHO it pays for professional services.
Jim

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 8:07 pm

coaledsweat wrote:I hate when that happens.
Me too. My wife and I have not had a "normal tax year" in 3 years. Between her having 3 different jobs in two different states, a lump sum last year that was taxed at a very high rate, and a drop in deductions this year, it has not been simple to plan. I hate giving the govt. a free loan, so I usually target to have a refund of couple hundred dollars. They got me this time, but I am making adjustments for 2017.
coalder wrote:Have an accountant do mine les than $ 200.00. Kirsten & I are both retirees & I get SSI along with our pensions. Not many deductions still got back 3K. IMHO it pays for professional services.
Jim
Your taxes should be simple if the deductions are minimal and stable. Did your accountant suggest any changes in withholdings for 2017?

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 8:19 pm

No, I shut my business down last year, but had 4K in dental expenses which was told are tax deductible. All these hidden deductions are why I feel a competent tax preparer is well worth the money.
Jim

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I once had the fed IRS claim I did not file like 10 yrs before.

I sent in all the paperwork, including the cancelled check for the payment I had to make. No go, they said only a filed stamped copy would suffice. I decided to appeal. Asked for all the records that they had and got everything back except that cancelled check (which is pretty strong evidence I filed and paid, right?). Then I filed a civil suit against the IRS agent who tossed my cancelled check into the trash (filing in small claims that got removed to federal court). The judge was not happy with the IRS I can tell you and several times admonished the US attny handling the case. We settled with a statement saying that I did indeed file. The state then came to me and said that the feds stated that I did not file (during time period of civil case winding about) ... I sent them the exact same ppwk as I sent the feds...the state said that the feds were crazy and that I certainly provided ample proof of filing and the state dropped its demands.

So now, I always send in my taxes with a copy and SASE to send back their filed stamped copy. For both state and fed returns.

Remember, no statue of limitations for non-filers. In my instance the fed's wanted $250 but the later state demand was $10K (I paid qrtly to the feds ~ hence the disparity).

akrebirdbe1991

Post by akrebirdbe1991 » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 11:17 am

It's been a long time, I just want to say that nothing has changed since Trump left, ahaha. This life hack is still there and is being used

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 3:35 pm

What long time-----what's a life hack?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 5:14 pm

He posted some drivel similar to that two days ago and I deleted it. The only reason he's still here is he hasn't posted his spam yet but he fits the profile. Stay tuned!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 5:55 pm

Yep, figured as much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Return to “Money & Finance”