Barter?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 10:24 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:That concept of family,friends & neighbors getting things done free is a very touchy issue when one is in business like me.......do I repair all family,friends & neighbors lawn & garden equipment for a glass of water ? That would work fine on their end,i can only drink so many glasses of water.
Looking at it the other way around, family and friends should be glad to give you their support, not impose on yours. A small discount might be appropriate.

Why is it that they don't expect to get a part free but think labor has no cost?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Not touchy, ya gotta set your grounds rules--it's called barter, not bumming!

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 10:30 pm

warminmn wrote:I had a coworker who bartered his carpentry skills for several sex sessions. its the oldest barter in the world and no taxes! :lol:
Nailin' for nailin'? Oops this isn't flame suit.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 29, 2015 12:15 am

confedsailor wrote:
warminmn wrote:I had a coworker who bartered his carpentry skills for several sex sessions. its the oldest barter in the world and no taxes! :lol:
Nailin' for nailin'? Oops this isn't flame suit.
Thats why there's no pictures! :lol:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 29, 2015 12:25 pm

franco b wrote:
windyhill4.2 wrote:That concept of family,friends & neighbors getting things done free is a very touchy issue when one is in business like me.......do I repair all family,friends & neighbors lawn & garden equipment for a glass of water ? That would work fine on their end,i can only drink so many glasses of water.
Looking at it the other way around, family and friends should be glad to give you their support, not impose on yours. A small discount might be appropriate.

Why is it that they don't expect to get a part free but think labor has no cost?
To be fair, it is not uncommon for some customers to also think that the labor should be free.After all, I commonly hear the following..... I don't know what is wrong with it,i am sure that it is something simple to fix,easy to fix & quick to fix,you can easily do it while I wait & watch,maybe I can even help :eek2: I have used barter a few times,i felt the transaction was very favorable for me,i was happy,but the customer was feeling like he won on the "deal", a winner for both of us because we both got something we were happy with.... the customer got no bill,i got a piece of equipment that I wanted or needed in exchange for a "paid in full". :D

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 6:01 pm

The movement died because they were trying to bring a long established system which tends to be rural, into an urban setting. It is not about rural versus city here, but rather a comfort-level sort of thing.

I barter all the time, and the local swap-sell it guide here that is a staple of every backhouse, lunch box and magazine rack north of Augusta; even has a barter section.

I'll barter...with people I know!

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 7:03 pm

freetown fred wrote:Hard for me to believe! :clap: toothy Barter is alive & well here in Freetown.
jpete wrote:Maybe he didn't like the guy. I have neighbors I'd do anything for and I have some I wouldn't hand a cup of water to if they were on fire.
Jeff, we're in the same boat. One of these days I'll tell all of you about my neighbors and our chickens...you can't make this chit up.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 8:22 pm

meanwhile, minnersoda man ,is that broad lookin for any more handyman-in or did yer buddy finish her up? :woot:

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Jan. 19, 2016 10:47 pm

I barter with my wife all the time. I do what she says and in return she does not kill me in my sleep :lol:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Jan. 19, 2016 10:57 pm

Flyer5 wrote:I barter with my wife all the time. I do what she says and in return she does not kill me in my sleep :lol:
Does your wife know mine by chance? I was given the same deal :lol:

Waswood
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 160

Post by Waswood » Wed. Jan. 20, 2016 12:07 am

SWPaDon wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:I barter with my wife all the time. I do what she says and in return she does not kill me in my sleep :lol:
Does your wife know mine by chance? I was given the same deal :lol:
You guys must have to much life insurance? My wife wouldn't kill me cause she don't make enough to pay the house bill.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 20, 2016 6:44 am

waldo lemieux wrote:meanwhile, minnersoda man ,is that broad lookin for any more handyman-in or did yer buddy finish her up? :woot:
Im sure she's still looking for more work, but if you seen her, you may not be so willing :lol:

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 20, 2016 8:30 am

warminmn wrote:but if you seen her, you may not be so willing :lol:
We'd call for double baggin protocol in that case, One for her and one for me in case hers falls off :idhitit:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 20, 2016 8:45 am

freetown fred wrote:Hard for me to believe! :clap: toothy Barter is alive & well here in Freetown.
jpete wrote:Maybe he didn't like the guy. I have neighbors I'd do anything for and I have some I wouldn't hand a cup of water to if they were on fire.
You beat me to it, Fred. :D

A lot of barter goes on in rural areas. Even in the form of neighbors who help each other. It's been a tradition of country life since the first settlers.

Paul

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Feb. 01, 2016 8:37 am

I joke with my wife all the time, I should not be going to the plumbing supply stores to be buying boiler parts and or parts for the tractor. Put on your little red dress and they would trip all over themselves trying to help you out, and probably at contractor rates to boot. She thinks I am joking, but I honestly know if she worked it a bit more, we could get better service and save money.

Attachments

DSCN2105 - Copy.JPG
.JPG | 134.9KB | DSCN2105 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Money & Finance”