WTF Is Going on Here?? 3rd Credit Card Hack This Year!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Been using credit cards for 13 years. NEVER had ONE issue. Then, this year, I've had one card hacked twice, and just today, my backup card was hacked for the first time. The company can never tell you how or where this occurs, which pisses me off - they should know EXACTLY how or where ANYTHING happens with ANY of their cards! :mad:

Not a real big deal, as I'm not responsible for any fraudulent charges - more of an inconvenience than anything ... and a burning desire to beat the *censored* out of whoever it is! :x And a curiosity as to how the F they got my info. I do most of my card use online ... & at the pump, because I'm in a damn hurry.

Reason I'm posting this is because my brother's debit card was also hacked today through Home Depot - guess they had a "Target-style" security breach. :roll: As if their shitty products weren't enough to get me to stop shopping there .... :roll:

Seems like an awful lot of this crap going on today. Anyone else getting their info stolen out there lately?

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Yes they want us to be "cashless" but cannot manage security. They should offer us a discount for cash, problem solved.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 11:36 pm

I hear that! :yes:

More websites should start using Bitcoin for online purchases. This crap is getting ridiculous ....

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 5:37 am

My Cap.One has been hacked twice in the past year--they issue a new card like it's a normal occurrence :wtf: --Discover is fine--they notify me on strange purchases:)

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 5:48 am

We've been hit once with CapitalOne and the new card deal. What I want to know is why Capital One wants to update our income for future credit increases. Got an email yesterday saying due to Federal rues it has to be updated. Sounds to me like Big Brother wants to make sure I'm not screwing him over on my income.

Dumbasses, do you really think I'd tell you that I make more money when I pay my card off monthly? You guys (Feds) are more gullible than I thought. :D

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 7:02 am

cabinover wrote:We've been hit once with CapitalOne and the new card deal. What I want to know is why Capital One wants to update our income for future credit increases. Got an email yesterday saying due to Federal rues it has to be updated. Sounds to me like Big Brother wants to make sure I'm not screwing him over on my income.

Dumbasses, do you really think I'd tell you that I make more money when I pay my card off monthly? You guys (Feds) are more gullible than I thought. :D
I've got a few cards from different banks and credit companies. I have never gotten any request stating there are Fed regs about updating your info. Beware, I think that's a phishing scam mimicking the real Capital One. Or the real Capital One is just BS'ing you.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 7:06 am

Indeed! I got the same thing yesterday--can you say DELETE :clap: toothy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 7:09 am

SMITTY wrote:Been using credit cards for 13 years. NEVER had ONE issue. Then, this year, I've had one card hacked twice, and just today, my backup card was hacked for the first time. The company can never tell you how or where this occurs, which pisses me off - they should know EXACTLY how or where ANYTHING happens with ANY of their cards! :mad:

Not a real big deal, as I'm not responsible for any fraudulent charges - more of an inconvenience than anything ... and a burning desire to beat the *censored* out of whoever it is! :x And a curiosity as to how the F they got my info. I do most of my card use online ... & at the pump, because I'm in a damn hurry.

Reason I'm posting this is because my brother's debit card was also hacked today through Home Depot - guess they had a "Target-style" security breach. :roll: As if their shitty products weren't enough to get me to stop shopping there .... :roll:

Seems like an awful lot of this crap going on today. Anyone else getting their info stolen out there lately?
When the ex-wife's cards got snatched in NYC, the credit card company security rep that called me about it, let slip that while you may not be on the hook for the charges, everyone who maintains a balance is. The credit companies just tack the cost of all that theft onto higher interest rates.

Ever since then I make sure to pay off my monthly balance. The other plus to that is I stopped getting all that credit card offer junk mail. I guess they figured out that I'm too cheap now to bother with. :D

Paul

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 7:11 am

Makes me glad I don't have any credit cards. I pay cash for everything. If I can't afford to pay cash I don't need it.

Besides, my credit is so bad I can't get credit cards anyway. And if I did and it got stolen all they'd get is bad credit and no money.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 7:27 am

I only use one card for online stuff and I keep the credit limit on that one low so if it does get hacked they won't get too much. And maybe if their hacking program looks at credit limits they'll skip mine!

I had to call them a few times when I got the card to quit automatically upping the limit.

I use another card strictly for fuel purchases so it is easier to do expenses at tax time. Also makes it easy to spot a funny looking charge on there if it isn't a gas station.

We got hacked a few years ago and it took a month before I noticed a few small foreign exchange charges showing up. The cc company took care of it, I was surprised at the low amount, something like $25 - I didn't think it would be worthwhile for something that small. But I guess if you have a software program doing the work and multiply that by a million Home Depot or Target accounts it would be!

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 9:31 am

If not for the internet, I'd have no use for a card either - I lived years without one. 100% of my purchases are online - just makes life so much easier. I live in MA, remember - a 5 minute drive can whip you into an angry frenzy ... :lol:

I haven't carried a balance for years. After interest rates started hiking up several years back, I made the decision to always pay off the card before the statement date. Some cards play games .... and if they issue the statement before you pay, they consider that "carrying a balance". Pricks ... :mad: I stopped using those cards.

I always memorize my card numbers & expiration dates since I use them so much. Sucks when they issue new cards - makes things go much slower having to eyeball the card as I type.

I have to be right on top of this crap constantly, since I make so many transactions. It makes it tough to spot a fraudulent charge. I have to keep a clear mental record of what I bought, and question anything that looks fishy. Lots of times I forget what I have ordered ... that doesn't help. Main thing is, visit your card's website often and keep track of what's happening! :idea:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 9:52 am

I'm On Fire wrote:Besides, my credit is so bad I can't get credit cards anyway. And if I did and it got stolen all they'd get is bad credit and no money.
I'm right there with ya on that.. Learned my lesson with credit cards.. I only have a Visa Debit card. If I don't have the money in the bank to buy it then I can't.. Simple as that.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Sep. 12, 2014 12:23 am

Had my debit card hacked a few months ago. $150.00 was charged to a Target in Texas. Work in Boston so I'm so thats where the info got stolen. A coworker had the same problem. Common theme, we both work at the same place. From then on I use cash when I'm at work. Fortunately I got the money back. Matt

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Sep. 12, 2014 9:51 am

Seems all my CC problems started after my cross-country trip last September to CA. Used the card for every fillup. Suddenly, a couple months later, it gets hacked ... :gee:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Sep. 12, 2014 2:29 pm

I've had a couple fraudulent chargers that I can think of.. They were both for $29.95.. The charges were subscriptions to *censored* sites.. It's interesting trying to plead innocent to the wife and a bit embarrassing at the banker's office getting the money back.. :lol:

True story....

Return to “Money & Finance”