State Way Too Expensive

btrowe1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal

Post by btrowe1 » Fri. Jan. 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Can"t live here anymore,have @ good jobs, paying all bills still behind, national grid, cut me a break,

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 5:28 am

btrowe1 wrote:Can"t live here anymore,have @ good jobs, paying all bills still behind, national grid, cut me a break,
Pfftt... try living over here in Smitty/Dougie Land! :mad3: Honestly IDK how people do it :cry:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 6:52 am

They do it by being frugal! It's called--"not feeding the pig" For the record--the grass is never really greener on the OTHER side of that fence--no matter where you are they'll try & get ya common or goin :(

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 8:03 am

Do you know where ALL your money goes? If not, figure that out before you pull up anchor.

GoodProphets
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Anthra Rice
Other Heating: 3 Fireplaces

Post by GoodProphets » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 10:28 am

Lancaster County PA and surrounding parts used to be called most economical place to live.
Prices and cost of living are generally cost effective.

Problem is wages are not going up along with cost of everything.

You really need to know how to budget your money, whether rich or poor.
Middle class is shrinking very fast,
so you will either be rich or poor.
Time to evaluate which you would rather be.

Cut your costs....the smart way.
Live under you means
Do not refinance esp if you are in high water... sell and rent if you cannot afford taxes, etc.
Get rid of car payments. Find higher mpg cars if you drive many miles.
Get rid of $150/phone and get $25-40 prepaid
make conscience decisions and vote on things to buy to see if you "need" them.
Get rid of all luxuries, or most of them (this is where it really hurts)
Find out your problem areas and fix them.

Tax and Ins is really getting crazy, it is bad, real bad.
If the downward spiral has begun, you need to get out of it
You need to make change (and do not think of change along the lines of the pres)
Change yourself and your goals.
Write down your goals.
Set mini goals to achieve the larger goals.
Work hard to make it happen.

Just the tip of the iceberg, and there are many paths to take.
Pros and Cons to every step of the way.

GoodProphets
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Anthra Rice
Other Heating: 3 Fireplaces

Post by GoodProphets » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 10:32 am

dcrane wrote:
btrowe1 wrote:Can"t live here anymore,have @ good jobs, paying all bills still behind, national grid, cut me a break,
Pfftt... try living over here in Smitty/Dougie Land! :mad3: Honestly IDK how people do it :cry:
IT is easier to understand "HOW" people do it, rather than "WHY" people do it.

At least the way my brain works.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 11:33 am

btrowel,from what I can gather from Your One-Liner,it seems that there's more than just you at the house. It sounds like everyone's got some type of decent paying job,your paying your bills,but starting to see yourself falling behind as those monthly bills overtake you. then I see your blaming National Grid(which I'm figuring is your Electricity Supplier) as the Straw that Broke Your Camel's Back! Welcome,Brother! :lol: A majority of vanishing Middle Class Critters have expressed the same woes. It's time for a Major Pow-Wow under the Tepee at Home for You and Yours. Sit down,hash out like Rob R. spoke of,where you're hard earned money is going and why. The rest of the Boys that have responded to you know the Beat! Read,listen and employ what you've learned. Determine if all of You are Living a Lifestyle that can't be supported anymore. That's it,Period. Sorry for your trouble,but we're all in this together,and only we can get ourselves out of this. It's one Household failing at a time,but it's becoming an Epidemic. Good Luck,and try to follow up with us down the road. Remember,we're a Family here. Sometimes we look like the Manson Family,but Dammit we're a Family none the less. We help each other out,gain knowledge and give each other advice,then we swing it into action. Get Going ! And remember,sometimes it's about removing the need to make more money,and more about removing the reason we need to make what we do. Hard,but True Choices Carry The Day,My Friend! Good Luck,Fair Winds And Following Sea's,My Friend ! :gee: :yes:
Last edited by Hambden Bob on Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 12:20 pm

freetown fred wrote:They do it by being frugal! It's called--"not feeding the pig" For the record--the grass is never really greener on the OTHER side of that fence--no matter where you are they'll try & get ya common or goin :(
This is the best answer. Being frugal does not mean doing without but more learning the relative value of things. I bet Fred gets more pleasure from his old Ford tractor than a new one would give.

Budgeting can be bad too because it makes the assumption that those things in it are necessary when many things are not. That does not mean doing without but realizing there are other ways to get what we want at less cost. Frugality is a state of mind that has to be applied to everything if you wish to live for less than your means.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Among the States close enough to anthracite ground zero to be considered within the "potential for anthracite burning" region, New Hampshire is supposed to have the overall lowest tax burden.
Last edited by lsayre on Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 12:40 pm

well ive been moving some folks down toward western Virginia with their proceeds checks from up here and they send me card, calls, emails talking how they cannot believe how much better, easier, inexpensive it is down their.... LIVING LIKE KINGS THEY ARE! :taz:

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Gunny,I'd imagine you've been watching Folks vacate the East Coast for some time now. :gee:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 9:34 pm

A smart guy recently told me to take a look at what I spend my money on, and separate it into two columns...wants and needs. The first time you do this, it should be easy to cross off a few things in the "wants" column. You may also be able to save money on the "needs" if you make a few calls.

Last year I did this and canceled the cable TV, canceled my home phone, changed insurance companies and saved about $500 per year, refinanced the house and saved over $100 per month in interest, and probably a few other things that I can't remember. Just last week I chiseled $18 per month off my internet cost by mentioning a competitors offer, and on Monday I am canceling my newspaper subscription.

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 11, 2014 9:47 pm

You Got It ! To Hell with this already. We're the only ones who can remove the "Golden Handcuffs" that we've managed to put on. It starts small and grows. It takes the guts to face it,start making the hard decisions,and stop ourselves from crying in our own Beer while we're doing it. Sure it's Hard! Dammit,it's supposed to be! But Enough Already! Victim Or Survivor?-You Choose ! :taz: :hammer: :cheers:

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Sun. Jan. 12, 2014 6:36 am

Hambden Bob wrote:You Got It ! To Hell with this already. We're the only ones who can remove the "Golden Handcuffs" that we've managed to put on. It starts small and grows. It takes the guts to face it,start making the hard decisions,and stop ourselves from crying in our own Beer while we're doing it. Sure it's Hard! Dammit,it's supposed to be! But Enough Already! Victim Or Survivor?-You Choose ! :taz: :hammer: :cheers:
"OFF GRID" BABY!!! :punk:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jan. 12, 2014 6:40 am

dcrane wrote:"OFF GRID" BABY!!! :punk:
The Amish had this all figured out a long time ago.

Return to “Money & Finance”