This Year's Homeowners/Auto Increase

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Can I ask where you all are as a % increase for homeowners and auto this year compared to last? I have had 0 claims on auto and homeowners other than a winshield chip repair a couple years ago.

No tickets in at least 3 years and the last one was "failure to obey traffic control device" (thank you small town NYS sheriff for the so called "Break" it still broke my wallet at $240 for 40 in a 30 at midnight when no one was on the rd within last 10 min of 6 hr trip).

My Auto is relatively flat, but homeowners jumped 20%, I did one quote w/ e-surance and homeowners was better but auto much worse (a wash when you look at total price for home + auto) and of course the biggest discount is bundling auto and homeowners so I can't choose the best of both.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 4:56 pm

welcome to the world of insurance where even though the word means 'shared risk' you will not find any insurance company willing to shoulder their share!

you are seeing first hand the impact of super storm sandy (and any other big storm payouts from last year that I am forgetting about) insurance losses being passed to consumers.

same thing happened a few years back when those 4 or 5 hurricanes hit FL and rolled up the east coast and if you are old enough to remember when hurricane andrew rolled through south FL about 20 years ago home ins premiums jumped then too.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 6:24 pm

My homeowner's went up $100...I called all over and found out that my current company is still the most competitive. Auto was a different story, my cost went up a little bit...$50 or so, but when I called around I got some quotes for hundreds less. I ended up switching our three cars to Liberty Mutual.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 6:31 pm

My homeowners went up too and the agent came by and reviewed the policy and said we are grouped together and we all must share the burden of their corporate profit ;) , I mean claims! Legalized extortion, remember the movie "Good Fellas " protection...right :shock:

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Tue. Oct. 29, 2013 10:09 am

Its really frustrating when the insurance company justifies the rate hike by an increase in the "Replacement Cost" to rebuild your home. I just went through an appraisal last year for a refinance and guess what, the spread between the appraised value and "replacement cost" is about 50k, but yet as a consumer I don't have the option to insure my home for the appraised value.

The real question is who is screwing me more, the bank by appraising low so they know I will come up with enough $ to have 20% equity in the house and avoid PMI or the insurance company by their artificially high "replacement cost."

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Oct. 29, 2013 10:16 am

qbwebb wrote:Its really frustrating when the insurance company justifies the rate hike by an increase in the "Replacement Cost" to rebuild your home. I just went through an appraisal last year for a refinance and guess what, the spread between the appraised value and "replacement cost" is about 50k, but yet as a consumer I don't have the option to insure my home for the appraised value.

The real question is who is screwing me more, the bank by appraising low so they know I will come up with enough $ to have 20% equity in the house and avoid PMI or the insurance company by their artificially high "replacement cost."
Your home is the piece of bread and both the bank and the insurance co. are buttering the two side, and if you tell them you want your toast plain you will quickly hear the obnoxious buzzer from "Family Feud", wrong answer...and the Davis family are you ready to steal the game!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 29, 2013 10:34 am

qbwebb wrote: No tickets in at least 3 years and the last one was "failure to obey traffic control device" (thank you small town NYS sheriff for the so called "Break" it still broke my wallet at $240 for 40 in a 30 at midnight when no one was on the rd within last 10 min of 6 hr trip).
Last ticket I had a ticket was for speeding and the previous one was probably around the time the cop was getting out diapers and he knew that. I didn't have my license on me and he asked, I'm assuming it was on his computer so he was testing me to make sure it was me. I don't know how it works in your area but the cop will "work with you" wink wink..... if you take it court. They get overtime and will usually agree to something else then. I said screw him and just paid it, didn't see any rise in my insurance rates but I have no accidents and no tickets...

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Oct. 29, 2013 10:41 am

Everything has gone up here - homeowners, & auto.

Lately my homeowners seems to rise $100 every year. One claim almost 10 years ago for a leaky circuit panel, and I STILL had to pay almost $900 out of pocket to cover what the insurance wouldn't. :mad:

Attachments

House pics 5-23-2003 (60).JPG

Note the rusty & corroded terminals ...

.JPG | 115.9KB | House pics 5-23-2003 (60).JPG
House pics 5-23-2003 (59).JPG

Drip, drip, drip ....

.JPG | 83.6KB | House pics 5-23-2003 (59).JPG

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 29, 2013 10:47 am

In your house a leaky circuit panel wouldn't surprise me since you need a boat to get to your stove but how exactly is it a circuit panel is leaky?

FYI if you put in chinese drywall that is something to investigate becsue it was destroying copper.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Oct. 29, 2013 11:07 am

Wow holy crap - that can't be good! :shock:

Actually the water was entering just above the meter, flowed through the meter, down the wire jacket and into the panel. I fixed it not long after that pic was taken with putty around the meter conduit, but the damage was already done. Besides the fact that was a Federal-Pacific breaker panel - google that one for a fun read! :lol:

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 8:20 am

SMITTY wrote:Everything has gone up here - homeowners, & auto.

Lately my homeowners seems to rise $100 every year. One claim almost 10 years ago for a leaky circuit panel, and I STILL had to pay almost $900 out of pocket to cover what the insurance wouldn't. :mad:
You have ele' tricite' leakin all out yur wires. :D

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 8:41 am

qbwebb wrote:Its really frustrating when the insurance company justifies the rate hike by an increase in the "Replacement Cost" to rebuild your home. I just went through an appraisal last year for a refinance and guess what, the spread between the appraised value and "replacement cost" is about 50k, but yet as a consumer I don't have the option to insure my home for the appraised value.

There's the rub right there in the "replacement cost" BS. Mine is up $800 :o this year due to re-evaluation. The house is 228yrs old and they could never even replace the shiplap siding on it since there isn't that much clear cedar left in the state of Maine! It's just another game the insurence industry plays that you cannot win. I asked why can't I buy the amount of insurence that I want? My home is paid for in full and there is no bank to use as an excuse. Sorry Sir, it doesn't work that way! :? It's market manipulation at it's finest. They should be proud.

Return to “Money & Finance”