Homeowner's Insurance or Liability Insurance?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jun. 02, 2013 7:15 am

I do understand the obligatory demands and financial reasons insurance is required, what I don't like is an outside agency inviting themselves in my house and then telling me when to jump and how high.Then justify the increased policy with a "perceived value" walk through. Years ago the insurance business came with a risk factor, now all the risk has been given to the policy holder by being forced, FORCED to pay for any and all risk in advance. the mafia call it protection money! ;)

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Jun. 02, 2013 11:03 am

Yep - welcome to the new 'AMERIKA' ... :sick:

MA uses insurance companies as wings of their political party by forcing you to obey all their moronic, stupid-assed feelgood laws ... like the one where kids under 10 cannot ride any dirt bike/ ATV - EVEN ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY!! If the ins. agent sees a little PW80 in the garage, they'll hold your policy hostage until you provide proof it was sold.

What disgusting times we live in ... :mad:

top top

Post by top top » Sat. Apr. 26, 2014 9:25 am

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would reply anyway. The original ???? was HO ins or liability ins, in my experience most insurance companies will not sell you an umbrella or personal catastrophe policy unless you have qualifying base coverage on your home and auto ins. Usually something like 300k or 500k minimum liability on those policies. The umbrella or PCAT basically has a deductible equal to that. As for fire versus homeowners ins, the HO may be the cheaper option plus it covers perils other than fire and covers your personal property also.

Just four months ago we had a fire that destroyed an outbuilding and killed my son. First time I ever had a large claim and dealing with the adjuster and the ins co has been a terrible experience. Greatly exacerbated by my inability to think about it without reliving the death of my son, I can not fault them for that. However, the ins co is using every loophole to reduce the claim amount. Without going into detail, I am very disappointed in how they are treating me at this time. It will take several more months to finish the claim and I am definitely not looking forward to it.

My truck was also destroyed in the fire and Allstate couldn't have treated me any better. I reported the claim, the adjuster called the same day. I asked to be left alone for a while and they complied. I called them back a few weeks later, the adjuster came right out and I had a check within a couple days. Very happy with them as well as Prudential, the life ins company.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Apr. 26, 2014 9:38 am

Thank you top top, your ability to assist others through your loss is A-1...

tjnamtiw
Other Heating: Sopka Cook stove

Post by tjnamtiw » Sat. Apr. 26, 2014 12:20 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
mozz wrote:For that price it should be insured for about $250,000. I don't think that is out of line, I was paying that with Allstate.
What kills me is that the insurance co. says that the replacement value is 180,000. I can buy a very nice house in this town for about 75,000 tops!

Insurance. The definition of LEGAL RACKET. :x
Not surprised SMITTY, I grew up in cassachusetts![/quote]

Insurance companies like to say that your house value is going up even if the house prices are falling down the drain. YOU tell THEM what you want it insured for!
If you're a vet, I highly recommend USAA for everything financial. I've been with them 48 years. I've had claims but all they ever did was say 'get it fixed and have the bill sent to us." Not quotes or other BS.
I get a yearly share of the profits plus a portion of my subscriber savings account (once you have 40 years with them) that pays for 6 months of car insurance for two cars.

Return to “Money & Finance”