Writing a Business Plan.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Jan. 17, 2012 2:33 pm

A friend of mine and myself are in the planning stages of starting our own wholesale plywood business. We need to write a business plan and I'm undecided on which computer program to use to write it. Should I use Microsoft Word or maybe even Excel? The plan won't incorporate any graphs or color charts and will be about 8-10 pages long.

Any suggestions?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Depends, Word is great if you have a lot of writing for the plan, formatted pages, etc. Use Excel if you have a lot of calculations.

You can copy the stuff from Excel into Word easily if you need the numbers/calcs, etc.....you might have to use a bit of both, but probably should be done in Word.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Jan. 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Yes, contact your local university or business school? They often have community workshops at no cost to start up businesses. Sometimes they will pair you with a student to work on your business plan as a team. Your county or local government may have something, too. Also the Small Business Administration will have information or sources available for you. I think you will be surprised at what help is available. When I was considering opening a business a couple of years ago, they had it all, the business plan, how to access funding, just about anything I could think of. Good luck, Lisa

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Tue. Jan. 17, 2012 5:24 pm

lowfog01 wrote:Yes, contact your local university or business school? They often have community workshops at no cost to start up businesses. Sometimes they will pair you with a student to work on your business plan as a team. Your county or local government may have something, too. Also the Small Business Administration will have information or sources available for you. I think you will be surprised at what help is available. When I was considering opening a business a couple of years ago, they had it all, the business plan, how to access funding, just about anything I could think of. Good luck, Lisa
Yes, contact your local university or business school? They often have community workshops at no cost to start up businesses. Sometimes they will pair you with a student to work on your business plan as a team. Your county or local government may have something, too. Also the Small Business Administration will have information or sources available for you. I think you will be surprised at what help is available. When I was considering opening a business a couple of years ago, they had it all, the business plan, how to access funding, just about anything I could think of. Good luck, Lisa
Try SCORE also,they have local chapters all over. http://www.score.org

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Google is your friend, there are plenty of templates for a business plan on the web.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Jan. 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Has anyone used Microsoft MapPoint?

Return to “Money & Finance”