Laid Off From Work ?

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Tue. Feb. 23, 2010 10:54 pm

I am currently laid off from my work for the month of Feburary. Received a call that I would probably be back the beginning of March. I was off for a year July 08-July 09 :sick: . I was really starting to worry. This time it's not lack of work ,but maintenance reasons (so they say), things sound better. I feel, in my case the worst is over(hopefully). Guess alot here may be in the same boat as I was, thought you may want to VENT A LITTLE STEAM ?

samler17
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by samler17 » Tue. Feb. 23, 2010 11:09 pm

It will be a year in March since I last worked. Moved to northern MD with my wife who works for the Army. And the area is really depressed after the Chrysler plant closed and the the GM plant. I'm trying not to go to Baltimore I hate to deal with traffic. I'm not complaining if it weren't for her job we would be in alot worse shape. I try to tell these younger people to stay with what they have because there isn't much out there.

truckrp97

Post by truckrp97 » Tue. Feb. 23, 2010 11:35 pm

i am sorry for you young guys being put in dire staights.i wish barry and congress would do all they could to take the handcuffs off america's economic style(capatilsm) and let a rising tide lift all boats.let limited government,limited regulation,innovation and creativity lead the way to more prosperity for all americans.

ken

Post by ken » Tue. Feb. 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Well hopefully you will be back as they say. This country is going down fast. No real jobs to be had. The HNIC needs get the stim for good jobs going. Not bunch of stupid pork jobs. When the dollar falls , you best have lots of gold , silver or copper. One other thing , grow all the food you can.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Feb. 24, 2010 7:22 am

I got laid off on Oct 1st, 2008. About 1 and 1/2 years now. My VP said it was a "Bussiness Decision" not a "Performance Issue". As if that is supposed to make me feel better?!?!? Then they promptly hired 3 Mexicans in Mexico City, and over the course of the next 12 months, trained them to try to do the work I was doing.
Out-sourcing and Off-Shoring. There goes America's jobs.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Wed. Feb. 24, 2010 7:39 am

BTDT. Was laid off in 2007 but the kicker...I was fortunate to find a new job within 2 or 3 months but it didn't work out, found a 2nd job and I hated the people so I QUIT ( libs ) and now on my 3rd job since 2007. This job is a keeper. The first 6 months of each of the three jobs were very difficult as I had to very careful in everything I said & did. I'm 11 months on my 3rd job since 2007. I am finally feeling comfortable with myself and sleeping much better too.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Wed. Feb. 24, 2010 8:04 am

I feel sorry for you younger guys & gals as well, I went thru this in the 80s when all the rust belts were created. Trouble is IMO little or nothing has been done since then & before, a mill that employed thousands of good paying jobs gets shut down bulldozed & replaced with a shopping center with maybe 1,000 part time min. wage jobs. My only advice would be to try & keep working even if you dislike it, as the saying goes its easier to find a job if your already working. Sounds odd but I found it to be true, I always adopted the attitude that I was working for a paycheck, doing things I enjoyed was a hobby. Its wonderful if you get a job you enjoy but they are few & far between.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Wed. Feb. 24, 2010 10:19 am

I'm a self-employed handyman. I'm taking time off and living off my savings. I've got a pulled stomach muscle that's slow to heal. Dr. said there's scar tissue there so I'm trying to let it heal and remember to favor it. If I pick up a couple houses to paint this coming summer I can survive. I don't have a big nut to crack in my present situation; but I don't have any social status either. That doesn't bother me. I have acquired a bad attitude toward money, feeling defeated by all this talk of fiat currency, coming economic collapse. Worried about buying gold, doesn't it go up and down, too? I better snap out of it and get in gear again.
I live near Rte 22 in central NJ, there are so many commercial and retail establishments there it's unbelievable. There are a lot of furniture stores in my area, I went in with a friend to a few places the other day, we were the only customers. Pretty scary.
Last edited by Dann757 on Wed. Feb. 24, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

samhill

Post by samhill » Wed. Feb. 24, 2010 10:29 am

Keep plugging away dann, you already know there are still a lot of handyman jobs out there if you aren`t too picky & often one good well done job leads to others. Heck sometimes even us old farts realize we can`t do what we used to & figure we would be better off to have someone do it.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Feb. 24, 2010 11:41 am

I haven't had a real job since March last year. I'm on the Obama plan .... :sick: :sick: :sick:

Luckily I saved quite a bit when I was working, & the wife still works, & we live far enough away from the city that our bills are affordable, so we're ok for now. Good thing I never listen to those financial gurus that say savers are losers! :lol:

Been working on trying to get my own repair business going at home here. Not sure how the town will handle that one ....... I'm sure zoning issues will arise, even though my neighbors are all normal. Not a business friendly state here.

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Tue. Mar. 16, 2010 10:22 pm

my contract expires in jul '11 so im in the same boat soon enuf
1 year goes real fast
gotta start looking soon

samhill

Post by samhill » Wed. Mar. 17, 2010 8:21 am

Gotta watch that zoning crap, we were going to base our small in home business at my S-in-Ls house in McKeesport, Pa. a distressed area, had to put a legal notice in several papers to do things legal. The day after the notice we got a letter from the city saying what all we owe & are going to have to pay, mind you we haven`t done a dimes worth of business yet, taxes, inspection fees even had to pay for # of parking spaces. So we moved our business address up here where we live & they welcome any new business they can get the only tax we will have is an earned income which would be the same anyhow.

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Wed. Mar. 17, 2010 3:18 pm

samhill wrote:Gotta watch that zoning crap, we were going to base our small in home business at my S-in-Ls house in McKeesport, Pa. a distressed area, had to put a legal notice in several papers to do things legal. The day after the notice we got a letter from the city saying what all we owe & are going to have to pay, mind you we haven`t done a dimes worth of business yet, taxes, inspection fees even had to pay for # of parking spaces. So we moved our business address up here where we live & they welcome any new business they can get the only tax we will have is an earned income which would be the same anyhow.
The more ghetto the boro is the more hostile they are to business. What they fail to realize is that this is the what contributed to the ghetto condition of the town.

Wilkinsburg, Braddock - same thing.

Ive heard that Wilkinsburg - which has the highest combined millage rate in the nation (50 mills) is going to up their school tax to a new high while Allegh. county is once again gearing up for an assessment hike.

Wilkinsburg has one of the worst schools in the nation. I Wont be moving there soon.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 7:01 am

I cant even begin to explain how difficult its been since 2006 to make a living as a Realtor. We have zero safety nets as independent contractors and zero benefits available to us (N0 unemployment, NO SSDI, NO short term dis.,NO Severance package for layoff, NO food stamps, NO nothing but trying to tread water and survive).

I hear about the Fed. workers taking a "hit" right now by loosing one day per week, I hear about folks just getting laid off this year and collecting unemployment until they can work again, etc.etc.etc... and I do feel bad because a lot of these Fed. workers are my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. who I love very much BUT I cant help but thinking in my mind... "where the Heck has everyone been for the last 7 years of HELL Ive been having to live through with ZERO safety net :cry: doing everything from clean outs to painting to picking up cans when I see them :lol:

Thing have finally started slowly improving on the real estate front about a year ago in Ma. and more recently on other parts of the country BUT in the last few months something very noticeable has been happening which will translate to everyone else within a year or so (Real Estate is the driving force for just about EVERYTHING having to do with the economy in this country). Here is some info from Fannie Mae and Realtor Ass. with some of the latest reports as well as the changed projections for next year from approx 10% sales increase (which is GREAT) to 40% sales increases (which is MIND BLOWING)!

We are at the brink of a time when there is a shortage of inventory (mainly because the foreclosed homes are finally receding), increasing home sales & prices plus historic low interest rates (which are not expected to dramatically change much over the next year)... this is setting up the perfect storm for the next 12 months of real estate to lift us ALL up and bring us ALL better fortune in the coming months! I hope these gives some optimistic "hope" to everyone :clap:

http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-news/2013/03/ ... hgt274dLl6

http://www.inman.com/news/2013/03/28/fannie-mae-s ... urn-intact

Return to “Money & Finance”