Pressure drop offs

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 23, 2023 12:07 pm

This is one of my pet peeves and this house was previously a nightmare for that. As I mentioned in the other topic I just repiped the entire house with 3/4 to all the end 1/2 supplies and this has improved things significantly. When I'm done I'm looking at three different households.

From the street I have one inch with 120psi. This goes into the 3/4 standard pressure reducer, backflow preventer and then immediately into a simple sediment and carbon filtration system. From there it splits for the hot water supply and the cold water supply. If I had to do it again I should of used all 1 inch before the split but nothing I can do about that now,

I think the max pressure on the filters is something like 120, what ever it's higher than 60psi. What I was considering doing here was adding two pressure reducers after the split. Jack up the pressure to 100psi before the split.

This makes sense?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 23, 2023 12:10 pm

Yes, you can do that. See what the pressure rating is on the filter housings.

How large is the filter? I have a 20” sediment filter that works fine with 50 psi.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 23, 2023 12:23 pm

I don't know what the specific number was but I know it's more than 60 psi because when I read it I realized I could do this.

Edit: It's 100 psi. :D

I have two housings inline with the first one for sediment. I don't really need the sediment except if they are working on the lines, testing fire hydrants or anything of that nature. The dirty water will immediately clog the carbon filter to the point there is almost no water. I only had one housing on the old system with just the carbon filter and that would happen once or twice a year, they somehow managed to time this the day after I put a new filter in.

There is a lot of chlorine in the water here and the carbon filter removes most of it, otherwise I wouldn't need a filter.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 23, 2023 7:26 pm

With a properly sized filter I would expect 60 psi to be plenty. Maybe you can just adjust your pressure reducer up to 65 or 70 psi?

This is the housing I have: https://www.ohiopurewater.com/product-detail/?pro ... s_id=23016

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 23, 2023 8:44 pm

I actually don't know what the PSI is after the pressure reducer other than whatever the factory setting is. I have the fitting in for the pressure gauge but every time I'm at the plumbing store or Lowes I forget to get one. I won't be doing anything until I find out what it is.

I really don't want to go over 60 for everything. The filter housing I have appears to be shorter. I was testing it turning on a few faucets before any filter cartridges were in and while it's OK it's not ideal. I may just change it around a little, ditch the sediment filter and run them in parallel with just carbon filters.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”