MerryMac Wood Chipper / B&S 5hp engine issues - Help, no runs

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. May. 16, 2023 12:49 pm

No good news today. I reassembled the chipper keeping the blade out. This stabilizes the unit for starting.

Would not start at all today. I do smell gas out of the carb, so its pumping as it should.

I go back to my original bad cam or worn out cam thinking. The engine is toast I think.

Looking at new engines from Harbor Freight (HF). My engine is B&S 5 HP with 1 inch shaft.

HF offers some engines, many lower the 8 hp engines have shafts 0.75" so they are not suitable. Preditor 6,5 hp/212cc for example cost of $159..but it has a 0.75" shaft, no good for the chipper
They have a 8 HP/301 cc engine and its cost is $299 - with 1 inch shaft
And a 13 HP / 420 cc engine and its cost is $399 - with one inch shaft

An adapter to go from 0.75" to 1" is available...

Any member has an idea of that adapter working ? I could buy the $159 engine and use an adapter perhaps.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. May. 16, 2023 4:48 pm

https://www.zignsu.com/product/predator-horizonta ... -hp-212cc/

https://www.xihlva.com/product/predator-horizonta ... af3530026e

Which one to buy ? LOL 100% scammers I think ... see pics on both=same

Beware folks

The wifey picked out the chopper 30 yrs ago, and look....breaks down. Typical

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 20, 2023 8:57 pm

Well Harbor Freight is having a sale at end of month...the 212 cc engine will be on sale for $129.

https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212cc-ohv-hor ... 2cc+engine

Its not a perfect replacement. I will have to get a 3/4" to 1" shaft adapter and check the shaft key. Folks make such adapters for 20 bucks so likely no issues there.

The shaft height, ground to shaft, is correct height. This is the main thing.

The shaft is threaded (in center of shaft) but the thread is smaller than the current one. I will do not examination of the chipper's blade to make such a determination if a smaller one will be OK. Currently, the B&S engine used a 3/8" bolt diameter to attach the blade of the chipper to the engine shaft.. Predator 212cc has 5/16" bolt diameter.

The shaft length should be the same.

All in all it looks like the 212cc Predator might be suitable substitute for the B&S 5PH engine just requiring a shaft adapter.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. May. 21, 2023 10:35 am

Clean the needle and seat. modern gasoline is not good.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 27, 2023 1:00 pm

Chipper update and further plans.

Ah, the chipper. The engine is bad, needs replacement. I did find the B&S engine,used, for sale but guy wanted $200 for it, too high.

Looking into 5-7HP models I find the Harbor Freight 6.5 and Duromax 7hp and Duromax 7HP with electric start with pricing $139 (sale coming up at HB) , $199, and $249.
https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212cc-ohv-hor ... 69730.html
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuroMax-DuroMax-7Hp-XP7H ... 1001839440
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuroMax-DuroMax-XP7HPE-2 ... 1001839454

Unfortunately the electric starts on the Duromax and others with it cannot be used with my chipper because the location of the starter with all I've looked at are all in same area, on right side of engine exactly where my chipper's chute would take up the space.

Anyone know of an electric start 5-7hp engine where the starter is on the left side of the engine v. right side (looking from front - see Duromax engine link with starter) ?

Right now, I think I'm likely to go to the Predator engine...unless a better alternative is found.

I have week to look as the sale at HF isn't starting until June 1st.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. May. 29, 2023 3:41 pm

Here's a guy put an electric motor to run his chipper. Seems like the rpm produced is around 2000 v. 3500 for a ICE motor, making it chip sluggish.

I was considering putting an electric motor in mine but the chipping blade is a direct to the motor shaft and bolts into the motor whereas the electric motors don't have connecting threads for the chipper like a ICE motor does.

I found a few Briggs motors available...will check them out this week. With a chipper like mine nothing can hang past the plane of where the shaft comes out as the chipper housing would have interference. Very few 5-8HP models have the clearance needed. Kinda stuck with B&S that has nothing overhanging that plane.

Several new 5 hp B&S available..but they want $500 for one. That's crazy. Hoping to get one used for $125 on a working non-chipper machine. Maybe the non-chipper machine will accept a non-B&S engine then I might swap out the B&S engine for another and have a new machine too for an extra $150.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Jun. 02, 2023 11:25 am

6-2-23 Update

I re-examined the Harbor Freight 212cc engine and, except for the muffler, it looks like it might work.
So I picked one up .. $139 w/o tax...sale

2 questions remain .. 1st - is shaft going to fit (I have a shaft adapter - 1" to 3/4" - 1" on chipper's cutting blade and 3/4" shaft on Predator engine) 2nd) Will chute for large branches be obstructed by the Predator engine.

The Muffler will need modification as its piping, as made, would interfere with the chipper blade's housing. Easy fix.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jun. 07, 2023 5:50 pm

Update !

The 212cc Predator engine had interference with both the gas tank and muffler (muffler expected).

I added a 1/4" spacer between the engine to the chipper cowl and got some 1/4 longer bolts for adj.

The engine now does not have interference with the gas tank w/about 1/8" clearance .

I also removed a protective heat shield off the muffler and it might barely fit. I have three options: 1) mill the mounting flange 100 mils to make the clearance or 2) just bang the muffler with a hammer to squish in the muffler that 100 mils to clear (small corner) Or 3) try to bend the short pipe to accommodate.

Or get a different muffler .. but that's an option after trying 1 of 3 (or multiple options) and encountering a failure.

I'll sleep on it.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Jun. 11, 2023 11:55 am

Update with pics !
IMGA0690.JPG
.JPG | 290.1KB | IMGA0690.JPG
IMGA0683.JPG
.JPG | 606.3KB | IMGA0683.JPG
IMGA0691.JPG
.JPG | 231.6KB | IMGA0691.JPG
I got an adapter plate made for the engine to the chipper cowl. Using 3 electrical box plates I welded 3 together and drilled a 38mm center hole (using my mini mill - 0.002" cuts per min) and the 2 top mounting holes (need to make lower 2 holes which should be easy now the top holes are OK).

Re-examining the original and defective chipper impeller it was discovered that a thick washer was welded onto the impeller in the center "hub". 1/2 broke off/ 1/2 stayed. See pics. I will re-weld the 1/2 that fell off (because my mill is not a full Bridgeport mill but a mini mill, the part cannot be milled to take out the remaining 1/2 washer to have a washer put in to replace it). No used or new impellers are available either so I'll have to do with what I have.

So, I'll finish up the motor-impeller spacer and attach them together. Then weld the broken 1/2 washer back into place (for balancing), add a new washer on top and put a thin 3/16" or 1/4" bar across to lock it all into place and then attach the impeller onto the drive shaft of the engine.
203.jpg
.JPG | 47KB | 203.jpg

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Jun. 12, 2023 5:20 pm

Update: on muffler & mounting motor to frame

The muffler, org., had interference with the cowl of the chipper ... solved by cutting the muffler pipe 1/2 way through, shoving a 1/2" socket extension down the pipe and bending it to a desired angle that clears the cowl by 1/4"- 5/16". Should not be an issue. The slotted hole from the hack-sawing will be covered with 3M 433L tape, a thermosetting adhesive aluminum tape designed for 0-600F temps. Should do the trick. I got some 3M 433L tape on order.

The engine was mounted on the original frame for the chipper...mounting holes of Predator engine matching the original B&S engine for the 2 holes that are engine mounting bolts and the frame's holes. Needed some banging around to get the holes to match up which I think is pretty normal.

Project cost so far: $150 for engine, $20 misc bolts, nuts, welding supplies, $15 3M 433L

Needs still: seal up muffler, install muffler, putz with impeller and install, install 2nd half of chipper cowl.

I may start up the engine to see if other issues are needed to be addressed prior to impeller installation.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Jun. 16, 2023 5:11 pm

Chipper is working, replaced Predator muffler with old Brigss one...solved that issue

Chipper works as before with leaf chute seeming working faster.

Costs of project: engine $160
Spacers, washers, bolts, nuts : $15
Welding supplies: $5

Total cost : $180

Engine starts with one pull. Much better. I was considering putting in an electric start with old Briggs engine for $250 to get easy starting machine.

Chipper with new engine better than buying used one.

Project success ! As usual. I should buy a stick welder...to compliment the TIG one

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jun. 16, 2023 5:21 pm

I would have just bought matches instead and burned the wood and the chipper. Cheaper, easier, quicker. The hell with city laws. :P

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Jun. 16, 2023 6:14 pm

warminmn wrote:
Fri. Jun. 16, 2023 5:21 pm
I would have just bought matches instead and burned the wood and the chipper. Cheaper, easier, quicker. The hell with city laws. :P
20.jpeg
.JPEG | 186.3KB | 20.jpeg
Warminmn = smart

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jun. 16, 2023 6:52 pm

In a strange way that makes sense! But lately its the butt crack deodorant commercials I hate.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Jun. 16, 2023 7:09 pm

warminmn wrote:
Fri. Jun. 16, 2023 6:52 pm
In a strange way that makes sense! But lately its the butt crack deodorant commercials I hate.
Wait. What?

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”